Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Aug 2021, 22:07 (Ref:4069877)   #26
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And this in the days when the M6 was still only a dream, so it was all cross country from just after Watford Gap services.
Mike,

It has been a very long time since the M6 converted from dream to nightmare.

Ditto the M1.

In the late 80s, with the M25 open, I could be fairly confident of doing the run to see relatives in Surrey in 2 hours, door to door. Sometimes a few minutes under.

It was 132 or 136 miles, depending on who we were heading for first, and, but for a mile or so either end, was dual carriageway or motorway all the way so achieving an average speed of around the national limit was not unreasonable.

By the 90's it was not possible to achieve that sort of time even in the middle of the night.

By the time the reason for the journeys disappeared a good run would be about 3 hours. An exceptional run might be 2.5 hours. A bad run closer to 5 hours. And all much more tiring.

I find that as one ages that is not such an attractive "leisure" proposition. BUt that's just a personal point of view based on a comparison with a distant past.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 07:24 (Ref:4070432)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've never been to Croft, OP and Cadwell are both great circuits in great locations, however the journey is torturous . . . nearly 7 hours last time we went to OP and that was over 10 years ago. When compared to what (was on offer at say Spa ( similar journey time, more than twice as much action/driving) its a no brainer from Sussex.

we've been here before, basically travelling round the uk to circuits is slow and unpleasant, particularly towing. journey times outweigh the fun factor.

Last edited by zefarelly; 26 Aug 2021 at 07:33.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4070433)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Mike,

It has been a very long time since the M6 converted from dream to nightmare.

Ditto the M1.

In the late 80s, with the M25 open, I could be fairly confident of doing the run to see relatives in Surrey in 2 hours, door to door. Sometimes a few minutes under.

It was 132 or 136 miles, depending on who we were heading for first, and, but for a mile or so either end, was dual carriageway or motorway all the way so achieving an average speed of around the national limit was not unreasonable.

By the 90's it was not possible to achieve that sort of time even in the middle of the night.

By the time the reason for the journeys disappeared a good run would be about 3 hours. An exceptional run might be 2.5 hours. A bad run closer to 5 hours. And all much more tiring.

I find that as one ages that is not such an attractive "leisure" proposition. BUt that's just a personal point of view based on a comparison with a distant past.
Sadly I agree, also for work, in the early/mid 90's I travelled the uk a lot for work, Solihull from Brighton in a little over 2 hours, M1 from BTN in an hour, Liverpool just under 4 hrs . . . Sillystone used to be 2 hrs. I wouldn't want to be doing any of that now, thankfully its not that necessary any more.

Last edited by zefarelly; 26 Aug 2021 at 07:44.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4070795)   #29
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late decision - hoping to get there tomorrow (Sunday) to spectate. Weather seems set fair.
Old 30 Aug 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4071264)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good weather, decent grids for Oulton and some good races. All 4 variations of the FF were excellent races and also enjoyed the Guards race up until the pitstops.
Car clubs seemed fewer than in other years but there appeared to be a decent crowd.
Old 30 Aug 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4071271)   #31
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong post I know but HRDC races at Castle Combe today were quite splendid. They kept a huge crowd grinning with pleasure with some of the best racing this year.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 06:09 (Ref:4071322)   #32
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I went yesterday and enjoyed it . F2 was terrific , as was FF1600 . I was also very taken with the Skylines and Sierra etc race. Thin grid, but one hell of a spectacle aurally and visually , especially close range at Deer Leap .

But ...as has been the trend for years , the Gold Cup lacks a sense of occasion . I remember being in a big crowd watching Flavien Marcais in the shrieking BRM P180 , big names like Soper in Touring cars and huge car club displays. It feels more like a village fete now - charming in its way but a bit parochial .

I guess every circuit and club is fishing in the same pool , and just like the rather lame Donington Historic 'Festival', the Gold Cup is suffering . There's room for club events run by HSCC and the excellent CSCC, and also for the big league Silverstone Classic and Goodwood - but not that much in between ?
Old 31 Aug 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4071337)   #33
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, went yesterday and also enjoyed the first race meeting I've been to this year. I must have been fairly close to you Coppece as my son and I watched the first Dunlop Cup Saloon race from outside the track between the Deers Leap bridge and Old Hall. Those cars are amazing but they are complicated cars and need a 'team' to prepare and run them which puts them financially beyond the reach of the average historic club racer. The F2s were also good to watch and fast. A shame Andy Smith and Miles Griffiths had a coming together in the second race as it was shaping up to be a close finish between the top three.
I was impressed by the size of the crowd on what was an overcast day but Coppice is right in that it doesn't have the sense of occasion it used to enjoy. I remember being there in the 1960s with F1s racing for the Gold Cup and I remember being in the paddock where the likes of Jack Brabham and Denny Hulme roamed freely and mingled with the fans.
Although the grids in most categories were good (except the Dunlop saloons) the competition from other series also racing over the weekend - CSCC at Brands GP, HRDC at Castle Combe and BARC/CTCRC saloons at Cadwell - all took some potential competitors from racing at the Gold Cup meeting.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4071365)   #34
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great time on Sunday and Monday; great racing, fabulous classic cars on display and lots of friendly folk to chat to. Especially enjoyed FF1600 and FF2000, in addition to my usual road-going favourites. And, it was dry the whole time, a rare occurrence during my visits to Oulton Park.
Attached Thumbnails
P1540799.JPG   P1540859.jpg   P1540889.jpg  

P1540891.jpg   P1550063.jpg   P1550107.jpg  

Old 31 Aug 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4071366)   #35
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos 2:
Attached Thumbnails
P1550123.jpg   P1550222.jpg   P1550289.JPG  

P1550405.jpg   P1550433.jpg   P1550479.JPG  

Old 31 Aug 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4071413)   #36
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As said above - a very busy weekend for historic sport - I was racing with CSCC on Saturday at the Brands GP circuit, as support races to the Fanatec GT cars - whose antics managed to continually screw up the timetable - including, on Sunday, causing the luch break to be brought forward by about 2 hours, meaning the CSCC competitors who had been called to the assembly area, were held there for well over an hour - and the CSCC grids were almost all full 46 car grids.

On Monday I went to Castle Combe (primarily towatch the Classic Alfa Challenge) and again, as mentioned above, there was some excellent racing with reasonable grids. I guess you can only spread the jam so far.......
Old 1 Sep 2021, 17:50 (Ref:4071527)   #37
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see the Silverstone Classic is moving to the Gold cups usual date next season.

Last edited by brands; 1 Sep 2021 at 18:05.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4071553)   #38
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I went yesterday and enjoyed it . F2 was terrific , as was FF1600 . I was also very taken with the Skylines and Sierra etc race. Thin grid, but one hell of a spectacle aurally and visually , especially close range at Deer Leap .

But ...as has been the trend for years , the Gold Cup lacks a sense of occasion . I remember being in a big crowd watching Flavien Marcais in the shrieking BRM P180 , big names like Soper in Touring cars and huge car club displays. It feels more like a village fete now - charming in its way but a bit parochial .

I guess every circuit and club is fishing in the same pool , and just like the rather lame Donington Historic 'Festival', the Gold Cup is suffering . There's room for club events run by HSCC and the excellent CSCC, and also for the big league Silverstone Classic and Goodwood - but not that much in between ?
Also went and enjoyed myself greatly- personally I like that village fete vibe which is an apt observation
Enjoyed your book by the way

IMHO life is too short for spectating at Silverstone

I suspect something like touring cars will fill the slot at OP which isn’t my cup of Assam
Old 2 Sep 2021, 06:18 (Ref:4071585)   #39
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Glad you enjoyed the book - tell all your friends to buy copies ...
Old 2 Sep 2021, 06:40 (Ref:4071587)   #40
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Glad you enjoyed the book - tell all your friends to buy copies ...
Is that pronounced 'coppice'?
Old 2 Sep 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4071598)   #41
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Chapeau !
Old 2 Sep 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4071622)   #42
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me Oulton Gold Cup is up there as a favourite (along with Cadwell) - the schedule allows for some downtime and a bit of social (and a beer or two on Saturday evening!), enjoy the circuit although not especially suited to my car, but i love the fast corners - Old Hall, Island and Druids especially!

With Roadsports we quali Saturday and race Sunday, so I wasn't there Monday (was watching my daughter competing at her first horseshow, she fell off ... straight to A&E - fortunately 'only' sprained ankle, not the fracture the on-site first-aider had anticipated - phew!) ... I've digressed ... on Sunday I thought the atmosphere was great, decent crowd right round the circuit, a good showing from the car clubs ... I don't need a live band or a ferris wheel, to be honest I don't particularly need a 'headline' race either!

There seemed to be strong grids in the majority of the classes, certainly those at the lower end of the spectrum. Shame to see the damage, particularly in 70s Roadsports.

I ended up inheriting a Class Win in the TR, despite being outclassed by my good chum in his +4 Morgan, but gremlins (and track limits!) got him - sorry for that, I was just pleased to get a finish after a poor run of race-luck.

Will be very sorry if OPGC falls victim to Silverstone Classic's date change ... as a competitor I know where I'd prefer to be, and i'd like it to be unchanged/diminished.

Thanks for the photo, Malcolm! TR5 #38
Old 3 Sep 2021, 06:23 (Ref:4071736)   #43
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
perhaps HSCC is happy to go down the festival route and forgive the smaller meetings. Makes me wonder why Alan Jones has suddenly decided to retire as he was "old school".
Old 4 Sep 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4071932)   #44
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I love the village fete feel.. I know my place and have no delusions of grandeur I had a great weekend. set up the Griddle, made up my larder cupboard and set up the camp bed in the back of the trailer.. The gold cup is exactly what club racing is all about in my book... Big thanks to the HSCC for having me in HRS on the Saturday and Sunday :-)

Last edited by Heightswitch; 4 Sep 2021 at 09:41.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4074106)   #45
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Moved to 29-31 Jul in 2022, basically being forced to swap weekends with Silverstone Classic.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4074127)   #46
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Moved to 29-31 Jul in 2022, basically being forced to swap weekends with Silverstone Classic.
That works for us and our long trip north. Glad we can still attend both.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4074236)   #47
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, the Gold Cup is now the weekend before the proposed Croft Nostalgia Weekend.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4074258)   #48
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
So, the Gold Cup is now the weekend before the proposed Croft Nostalgia Weekend.
I see an opportunity for a "Northern Tour".

Maybe take in Knockhill?

Make the trip north worthwhile.