Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 30 May 2021, 19:24 (Ref:4053955)   #1
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British Hillclimb Championship, 2021

Some great climbs at Gurston Down over the weekend, including 2 wins on Sunday with a new hill record for Wallace Menzies.

Sadly the second run off was dominated by Wil Hall's massive off at Shepherd's Hut. The good news is that he's okay which is more than can be said for the car.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4054237)   #2
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stunning how quick those guys are going now, the speed trap figures are insane and they keep moving the goalposts of hill records. Looking forward to Wiscombe next month, hopefully I get an entry for the Interclub event...especially as being 10 seconds slower means I get much better value for money than Wallace does
Old 8 Jun 2021, 20:58 (Ref:4055345)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Remarkably close finish at the top at Shelsley last weekend, a whole host of very closely matched drivers in a variety of vehicles. Here's hoping Will can get the car back together soon to add another potential winner.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 09:59 (Ref:4057566)   #4
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having canned LM and N24 plans, a road trip 'oop north called. First visit to Doune yesterday by arrangement with the organisers to write a spectator photographers guide for pistonclick.com

Hill records, the tightest of winning margins, popping and banging echoing round the Meadow, super light under the trees - an initial, rather random selection of photos can be found here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW7LQkw

I sense it might not be last visit to "The King of Hills"
Old 24 Jun 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4058061)   #5
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Having canned LM and N24 plans, a road trip 'oop north called. First visit to Doune yesterday by arrangement with the organisers to write a spectator photographers guide for pistonclick.com

Hill records, the tightest of winning margins, popping and banging echoing round the Meadow, super light under the trees - an initial, rather random selection of photos can be found here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW7LQkw

I sense it might not be last visit to "The King of Hills"
I enjoyed seeing your photos - great day to be there with new hill record. Looking forward to spectating at the September event, provided restrictions are removed.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 07:43 (Ref:4060063)   #6
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turning in to quite the battle, judging by the times Wallace had it fairly easy at Harewood. The photos after the rain hit look crazy though, no surprise they had to call the event off.

On to Wiscombe next, still waiting to hear if I've got an entry to the Interclub event on either day but if not then I'll still try to head up on the Sunday. I think the last time the national championship was there saw a new hill record so hopefully the weather will be kind and that envelope may be pushed some more.
Old 20 Jul 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4062431)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I had a very enjoyable day at Shelsley Walsh last weekend for their nostalgia weekend and am following that up with a trip to Prescott on Saturday for my first taste of competitive Hillclimb action. Very much looking forward to it!

Is there anywhere I can find a timetable and entry list? The Prescott, BHC and Barc sites don't have anything obvious but I may not be looking in the right places. Thanks!
Old 20 Jul 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4062435)   #8
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I had a very enjoyable day at Shelsley Walsh last weekend for their nostalgia weekend and am following that up with a trip to Prescott on Saturday for my first taste of competitive Hillclimb action. Very much looking forward to it!

Is there anywhere I can find a timetable and entry list? The Prescott, BHC and Barc sites don't have anything obvious but I may not be looking in the right places. Thanks!
Timetable - they go up in batches until everyone has gone up; then they do it again; then they do it to qualify for the Top 12 Run Off (that's only Sunday by the look of things). I'm elsewhere this weekend, but will be doing the September Prescott. The top class is stunning !

There should be an entry list online but may not be until nearer the weekend.

If I might be so bold, this will give you an idea of Prescott https://www.pistonclick.com/prescott-speed-hill-climb. It looks like there are some Covid rules to follow on the website
Old 20 Jul 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4062443)   #9
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Hillclimbs tend not to have a fixed timetable beyond a start time and then running through the batches in order.

This is running for Wiscombe next weekend:
SATURDAY 31st JULY RUNNING ORDER - First (only) practice Interclub event; First practice National event; First (only) practice Downton Class R; First timed run Interclub event; Second practice National event; First timed run Downton Class R; Second timed run Interclub event; Third practice National event; Second Timed Run Downton Class R.

SUNDAY 1st August RUNNING ORDER - First (only) practice Interclub event; Fourth practice National event; First (only) practice Downton Class R; First timed run Interclub event; First timed run National event; First timed run Downton Class R; First Run-off; Second timed run Interclub event; Second timed
run National event; Second Timed Run Downton Class R. Second run-off.
Old 20 Jul 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4062445)   #10
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
If I might be so bold, this will give you an idea of Prescott https://www.pistonclick.com/prescott-speed-hill-climb. It looks like there are some Covid rules to follow on the website
Thank you! Yes I have seen that and I must also thank you for the Shelsley Walsh guide.

Covid Pass (Vacc or test) requested for Prescott (though they will just take your temp if you don't have the app...). Also only pre-ordered tickets, none on the gate.
Old 20 Jul 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4062446)   #11
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Hillclimbs tend not to have a fixed timetable beyond a start time and then running through the batches in order.
Thanks! Yes the annnouncers at Shelsley spent the whole day faintly bemused at what was going on, which rarely bore much resemblance to the published timings .

Interesting that Saturday is practice and Sunday competition for the main competition. So Saturday at Prescott I can expect to see three BHC practice runs?
Old 20 Jul 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4062447)   #12
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Interesting that Saturday is practice and Sunday competition for the main competition. So Saturday at Prescott I can expect to see three BHC practice runs?
Yeah that's usually the case, or certainly is at Wiscombe. Sunday you would see 2 'timed' runs as qualifying and 2 runoffs, which is the top 12. The speed of the guys at the top is unreal, well worth watching.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 07:48 (Ref:4062489)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm off to Prescott on Saturday and Shelsley on Sunday for my first hillclimb spectating of the season.

I notice Prescott are asking you to bring proof of vaccination or a -ve test result but then say if you don't have it they will just do a temperature test - which if it like the ones they did at Thruxton just measure how effective your car aircon is.

Anyway, I've not been to Prescott this century and never been to Shelsley so looking forward to it.

Weather looks 'interesting' though.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4062492)   #14
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well I've had my entry confirmed to both days of the 'interclub' event at Wiscombe, so I should be heading there next weekend to go around 10 seconds slower than the quick guys

Last event out at Clay Pigeon this last weekend wasn't a complete success, gave the tyres a bit of a whack so will be hunting for a decent fibreglasser in the off season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4y...=SnoodyMcFlude
Old 21 Jul 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4062495)   #15
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
A Legends hillclimbing ? Sounds interesting !
Old 21 Jul 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4062502)   #16
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's certainly great fun! Not that competitive in the SW because they've forced us into Sports Libre so we're up against Radicals etc. which are just better developed than a lump of American pig iron, but I reckon I'm enjoying it more than I would in a sportscar...plus it looks cool

Fingers crossed there will be at least one more out on the hills soon, know a lad who's in the process of building one up from scratch. There's also one running in Guernsey.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 15:38 (Ref:4062551)   #17
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Well I've had my entry confirmed to both days of the 'interclub' event at Wiscombe, so I should be heading there next weekend to go around 10 seconds slower than the quick guys

Last event out at Clay Pigeon this last weekend wasn't a complete success, gave the tyres a bit of a whack so will be hunting for a decent fibreglasser in the off season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4y...=SnoodyMcFlude
Will be making my first visit to Wiscombe on 1st August - look forward to seeing you competing.
Old 22 Jul 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4062739)   #18
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Not strictly on-topic but I hop you will forgive me as this seems the best active thread to post on!

Pictures from Shelsley Walsh Classic Nostalgia last weekend: https://bit.ly/2WbGLKL

The usual caveats: big album (I take lots of pics!); I'm a fan with a camera not an accomplished photographer; all images are cropped and resized but otherwise unedited.

Big emphasis on the rally cars as that was primarily what I went to see. Scroll to the end of the album for some crowd, paddock and general pictures, including a shot of the ceremony unveiling a plaque in honour or Murray Walker.

I'm at Prescott this weekend so in due course will post on-topic pictures of BHC.

Enjoy!
Old 23 Jul 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4062884)   #19
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
It's a long way north from Milton Keynes but well worth the trip. Doune Hillclimb is the latest on PistonClick's list of guides for spectator snappers - https://www.pistonclick.com/doune-hillclimb
Old 23 Jul 2021, 17:47 (Ref:4062890)   #20
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Has anyone seen an entry list for Prescott tomorrow? I've looked in the obvious places on the interwebz but without success!
Old 28 Jul 2021, 18:42 (Ref:4063648)   #21
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Big album of pics from a terrific day at Prescott for the British & Midland Hillclimb champs in July: https://bit.ly/3i9UOJ7

My first visit to Prescott, following my first visit to Shelsley Walsh a week earlier. Really, really enjoyable. So pretty, so close to the cars, such impressive driving. I'm a convert! I'll be at Shelsley again in August for another championship round and will be making these lovely venues (and other Hillclimb tracks) a regular part of my motorsport year from now on.

The pictures here are all of single-seaters from the two championships. I went on the Saturday so saw three practice sessions and the pictures here are divided pretty evenly between the three.

It was forecast to rain all day but never actually did, though it was a far cry from the baking sun at Shelsley a week earlier.

A handful of paddock and circuit shots towards the end.

Hope you enjoy!
Old 29 Jul 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4063755)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice photos AOR. I too had a nice visit to Prescott and Shelsley last weekend.

Both put Gurston Down, my local hill, to shame in the scenery stakes.

I think I preferred the track action from SW as there was more variety - the British championship is a bit single seater heavy, no matter how spectacular and rapid they are.

Must make plans to go again, even somewhere as 'northern' as Worcestershire is actually only just over 2 hours away if there are no road holdups.
Old 1 Aug 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4064662)   #23
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Blimey those guys are quick! Watching Richard Spedding in practice yesterday was like watching a sped up video, the change of direction in that car is insane.

Wallace looked a cut above this weekend, and the bad luck with weather ultimately ended up being good luck with weather, strange how things work out. Shame it was damp, the times being set in first practice blew me away, considering it's been 2 years since any of the drivers were at Wiscombe.

My day a little bit different, seemed to only have damp weather and it was really slippery. Thoroughly enjoyed myself but I'm blaming a moment in the Esses for significantly increasing my laundry bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioB...=SnoodyMcFlude
Old 1 Aug 2021, 19:22 (Ref:4064663)   #24
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh and a short clip of Menzies first practice, just looks so smooth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CcE...=SnoodyMcFlude
Old 5 Aug 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4065515)   #25
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Blimey those guys are quick! Watching Richard Spedding in practice yesterday was like watching a sped up video, the change of direction in that car is insane.

Wallace looked a cut above this weekend, and the bad luck with weather ultimately ended up being good luck with weather, strange how things work out. Shame it was damp, the times being set in first practice blew me away, considering it's been 2 years since any of the drivers were at Wiscombe.

My day a little bit different, seemed to only have damp weather and it was really slippery. Thoroughly enjoyed myself but I'm blaming a moment in the Esses for significantly increasing my laundry bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioB...=SnoodyMcFlude
Arrived just before lunchtime monsoon. Dried out a little in sunshine, then another downpour.
Took a few photos before stopping to avoid ruining camera. Visited paddock, would have chatted, but nobody at Legend when I was there. An excellent venue which I would return to if in area again.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2401.JPG   DSCN2417.JPG   DSCN2421b.JPG  

DSCN2422b.JPG   DSCN2425.JPG   DSCN2432.JPG