Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4051640)   #2726
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, but that doesn’t mean F1 is on his radar. The only person mentioning a London GP is Toto
London mayor Sadiq Khan says he is "interested" in Formula 1 holding the British Grand Prix in the capital.

'"If F1 want to speak to me I am keen to listen," said Khan."My ambition is for London to carry on being the sporting capital of the world."

Speaking to the BBC London Sport, he added: "There are some hurdles to overcome, but I am certainly interested in the future in having F1 in London."'

It's on his radar - and if it had dropped off, Toto has put it back on again.
Ross Brawn is also talking about it - so it's not just Toto:
Brawn - '“We would like to see London complement Silverstone, not replace it.”

“We have the most efficient hybrid engines in the world and the current superstar is a British guy so racing in London showcasing our technology and our innovative capability, let’s go,” he said. “Let’s go racing in London.”'

At this stage - I'd wager that there is more chance of a London GP happening in the next five years than an Australian GP happening this year.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4051646)   #2727
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
London mayor Sadiq Khan says he is "interested" in Formula 1 holding the British Grand Prix in the capital.

'"If F1 want to speak to me I am keen to listen," said Khan."My ambition is for London to carry on being the sporting capital of the world."

Speaking to the BBC London Sport, he added: "There are some hurdles to overcome, but I am certainly interested in the future in having F1 in London."'

It's on his radar - and if it had dropped off, Toto has put it back on again.
Ross Brawn is also talking about it - so it's not just Toto:
Brawn - '“We would like to see London complement Silverstone, not replace it.”

“We have the most efficient hybrid engines in the world and the current superstar is a British guy so racing in London showcasing our technology and our innovative capability, let’s go,” he said. “Let’s go racing in London.”'

At this stage - I'd wager that there is more chance of a London GP happening in the next five years than an Australian GP happening this year.

That BBC Sport article was from 2017. Since then the UK was referred to the European Court of Justice, for failing to tackle illegal levels of air pollution and Sadiq Khan has subsequently been pushing the green agenda, with the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and has increased the congestion zone charge in June last year. I think he would look very hypocritical, if he were now to push for a GP.
Old 14 May 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4051682)   #2728
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I suspect post covid, bringing tourists back to urban settings will be be huge.

A London GP makes sense in that context and any neighborhood people who might object will unfortunately have to take a back seat to business interests.

Reasonable.
London doesn't need F1 to attract tourists. I suspect nobody has told Kahn what the hosting fee and build costs are!
Old 14 May 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4051686)   #2729
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
London doesn't need F1 to attract tourists. I suspect nobody has told Kahn what the hosting fee and build costs are!
There's always a balance - and the revenue streams are not as clear cut.

Typically, the promoter's fee amounts to somewhere in the region of £23m to host a GP.
On the other hand, the revenue from Sky Sports to F1 each year amounts to £610m per year.

So Liberty - being a Media-focused company - may choose to prioritise their TV stream over the promoter's fees, and might anticipate a rise in TV revenue from the UK for a London GP?

If they can monetise the broadcast more than the promotion - then things could look entirely different.
Old 14 May 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4051690)   #2730
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Would an F1 car be congestion charge except?

The cost of holding it in London would be massive and the chance of selling enough tickets very limited. Daft idea to be honest
Old 16 May 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4051929)   #2731
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If Formula E had nimbys, imagine what would happen with F1.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4058266)   #2732
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just read on the BBC website ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57621406 ) that the Russian GP is moving from Sochi to the Igora Drive circuit outside St Petersburg from 2023.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4058270)   #2733
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just read on the BBC website ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57621406 ) that the Russian GP is moving from Sochi to the Igora Drive circuit outside St Petersburg from 2023.

That’s the one with the long back straight isn’t it? Could be interesting
Old 26 Jun 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4058293)   #2734
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That’s the one with the long back straight isn’t it? Could be interesting
no, it's this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D...8!4d30.1990436

about 4km/2,5 miles.

I think we're going to miss Sochi.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4058307)   #2735
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Igora Drive

Here is a link to some information on the circuit.
https://www.racingcircuits.info/euro...l#.YNc-PO8o-nE
Old 27 Jun 2021, 07:04 (Ref:4058358)   #2736
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Judging from the couple of races I have watched on tv from St. Petersburg the circuit is rubbish by F1 standards.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4058484)   #2737
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it might be better than Sochi, but that ain’t saying much
Old 28 Jun 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4058743)   #2738
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
no, it's this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D...8!4d30.1990436

about 4km/2,5 miles.

I think we're going to miss Sochi.
Only 2.5 miles? Too short for a 'statement'venue. Needs to be at least 3 miles.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 01:25 (Ref:4058957)   #2739
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don’t worry! They might alternate between the two venues.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ru...drive/6621621/

Is this a golden age in Russian motorsport, like the heyday of alternating between Brands and Silverstone?
Old 30 Jun 2021, 07:52 (Ref:4058980)   #2740
S griffin
Veteran

Or in recent times, Hockenheim and the Nurburgring
Old 30 Jun 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4058995)   #2741
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Igora Drive

Here is a link to some information on the circuit.
https://www.racingcircuits.info/euro...l#.YNc-PO8o-nE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Only 2.5 miles? Too short for a 'statement'venue. Needs to be at least 3 miles.
They’re going to make it a bit longer and mess with the final part of the lap.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ig...f1-gp/6622742/
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4059001)   #2742
S griffin
Veteran

Glad to see they are lengthening it, could make it more interesting
Old 30 Jun 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4059021)   #2743
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They’re going to make it a bit longer and mess with the final part of the lap.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ig...f1-gp/6622742/
That's a bit more like it!
Old 23 Sep 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4075151)   #2744
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The Miami GP has been confirmed for next year.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...7hpy_H9nkS0gg0
Old 24 Sep 2021, 09:56 (Ref:4075244)   #2745
S griffin
Veteran

I’m now convinced it will happen, so look forward to it
Old 30 Sep 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4076394)   #2746
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qatar is in for this year and for 2023 and beyond: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...dNWZMDAn6.html

Last edited by Born Racer; 30 Sep 2021 at 11:44.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4076427)   #2747
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting that it’s only confirmed for this year at Losail, the venue from 2023 has yet to be determined.

Another Mid East street circuit. A new Tilke drome in the region or major changes to Losail to make it more of a car and F1 circuit.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 08:18 (Ref:4076489)   #2748
S griffin
Veteran

It's worth a try this year, although I question whether we really need another race in the Middle East. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi have hardly been classics and we're now getting Saudi too
Old 1 Oct 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4076492)   #2749
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's worth a try this year, although I question whether we really need another race in the Middle East. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi have hardly been classics and we're now getting Saudi too
I'm not sure why the geographical territory in which a race is held should make any difference to how good the race is?

A poor venue in Europe or America is equally as likely to give a poor race. Historical relevance of a circuit may play a part - but you can only gain history at a venue by racing there?

I'd also question the quality of races if you look at the threads here. Bahrain 2021 rated 8+ on average.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4076496)   #2750
S griffin
Veteran

I wasn’t talking about the quality of the racing, I was talking about the quality of the circuits. Bahrain may occasionally make a great race, but Spa or Suzuka it ain’t. Most of them are bland autodromes and let’s face it they’ve hardly gained the following in Europe. Fact is classic venues and countries that have returned like Imola or Portugal have proven more popular among F1 fans