Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2288057)   #1
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Alec Spooner

A very sad email from Bernard Cottrell, forwarded by Mildred. I've decided to put it up here since many more than the BRSCC or Brands current marshals knew Alec in his role of BRSCC chief at Brands Hatch throughout the 90s and more. A role he performed with such good grace and humour.
For me, he was the BRSCC on a weekend morning.
Miss you Alec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard
To all marshals - I very much regret having to advise you all ALEC SPOONER died on Thursday 11th September as a result of heart failure - As you all know Alec suffered from Diabetes and it was due to the side effects of this complaint Alec gave up the Post of Chief Marshal for BRSCC SE Centre - Alec had marshalled and been a member of BRSCC SE Centre for many years serving on both the Committee and being Chief Marshal - he will be sadly missed. Our thoughts are with his wife Margaret and daughters Julie and Gill - As yet the funeral arrangements have not been made - Margaret will let Mildred know on Monday and these will be advised to you all.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2288134)   #2
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
That's very sad news. I'd known Alec for more years than I care to admit and will always have fond memories of a kind, generous and gentle man. My thoughts and sympathy to Margaret, Julie and Jill.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2288197)   #3
DavidBritainUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
DavidBritainUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A kind gentleman who will be sadly missed.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2288319)   #4
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I signed on many times with Alec for BRSCC SE and he signed on with me.
We also worked on MSA activities together and my lasting impression was of someone who would always say what he thought and fight for what was right.

Although he has not been on the scene for a while I know many people will be sad at the news but remember him with great fondness and respect.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2288420)   #5
brandspost4a
Racer

Scotland
Tunbridge Wells, KENT
brandspost4a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
A very sad email from Bernard Cottrell, forwarded by Mildred. I've decided to put it up here since many more than the BRSCC or Brands current marshals knew Alec in his role of BRSCC chief at Brands Hatch throughout the 90s and more. A role he performed with such good grace and humour.
For me, he was the BRSCC on a weekend morning.
Miss you Alec.
Alasdair,

I think you have got it right. Alec was the second BRSCC SE Chief Marshal I "worked" for. A great bloke. I'll never forget receiving a letter from him on behalf of the BRSCC after a very nasty Clio shunt when I was Obs on Post8 thanking not only me but the team I had working that day.

RIP Alec and join Scotty at Brands in the sky and have a great laugh at our antics now and in ther future.

Gone but not forgotton.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2288859)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad news. My condolences to all who knew him and of course his wife and family. Sad to see another of our friends pass on.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2289115)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great loss. Alec was indeed a wonderful guy always ready to help. I enjoyed his company a lot over the many years I' ve known him. RIP Alec.

If anyone was to "blame" for me being all the time at Brands now, it is Alec. He sweettalked me into it. Thanks for that Alec; you gave me loads of new friends.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2291853)   #8
Silver Flag
Rookie

England
Kent
Silver Flag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sorry to hear this news.
Alec was always the perfect gentleman, how he ever managed to remember all of our first names I'll never know.
Our condolences to his family.

Mike & Neil Jones
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2295160)   #9
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard this news having been away for a week. Very sad news indeed.

Alec was my first ever chief observer and the first marshalling face I got to know so to hear he has passed away is very sad.

RIP Alec. One of the good ones.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2295320)   #10
bhscribe
Rookie

England
West Malling
bhscribe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alec's committal service

The large number of Alec's motor sport friends and colleagues who attended today's service bore witness to the affection and respect he commanded from all those who knew him. A lovely, moving service which ended to the strains of 'Build me up, buttercup' by The Foundations!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2302394)   #11
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lovely guy - Alec was Chief when I first started marshalling at Brands in 1991, and as a newbie I received all the help anyone could wish for from him, plus Julie Edghill, Chris Paterson, Bob Armstrong, John Smith, Bryan Degerlund and others - what a great way to start in the sport!

The marshals' raffle at the of the day was always a hoot - how he'd managed to blag so much stuff for us from the race teams, sponsors, tool-suppliers etc says everything about his determined persuasion to do the best for the marshals, alongside his gentle manner...

When I was briefly without a car to get to Brands, he went out of his way to pick me up from the nearest bus-stop I could reach - when I told him I was moving to Cumbria he sent me a great letter saying I couldn't go as he still needed a navigator, but would recommend me to the BRSCC team at Oulton Park.

Always a supporter and provider for the marshals, a great man - I shall be sorry not to see him when I next visit Brands.

My condolences to Margaret and the girls. MB
Old 7 Aug 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4065737)   #12
ArthurBenjamins
Rookie

ArthurBenjamins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alec Spooner

With the passing of Bernard Cottrell today, I have just found out about the passing of Alec Spooner in 2008.
Although I was only an active marshal from 1975-1985, I certainly remember Alec Spooner very well as a cheerful individual and capable marshal on the various posts I shared with him.
Alec was also the observer on Post 7 (South Bank) to which I had been seconded during the August Bank Holiday meeting at which Brian McGuire lost his life. I recall our post getting a call to say that the three marshals also involved needed replacing, and Alec asked me to go down to Stirlings.
After my marshaling tenure, and subsequential photographic visits to Brands for many races, bumping into Alec was always a pleasure.