Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2023, 11:50 (Ref:4175534)   #376
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Marko is just wrong on so many levels
Old 7 Sep 2023, 14:22 (Ref:4175546)   #377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He was already spewing nonsense a month ago saying Max could put a Haas or an Alpha Tauri on pole, but these comments on Checo are something else. Really is not helping himself here
Old 7 Sep 2023, 15:32 (Ref:4175552)   #378
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In general Marko reminds me of this...

He also seems to be guy who can be the inner voice of Red Bull that says things out loud when he shouldn't. So you get to peek inside the head of that organization. But it's also hard to figure out which parts is Red Bull Racing and which is crazy grandpa talking.

Serious question... Now that Dietrich Mateschitz has passed. Who runs the Red Bull sporting empire? Who does Marko report to? Who protects him when he makes dumb comments like this?

Richard
Old 7 Sep 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4175570)   #379
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I’m tempted to point out to him that Mexico is in North America.

As someone who spent over a year working on a massive IT implementation in the UK where 60% of the team were from Mexico I can absolutely confirm that:

1. It's a very common mistake, at least in this part of the world.

2. There are many Mexican people who find it extremely annoying.
Old 7 Sep 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4175575)   #380
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Who protects him when he makes dumb comments like this?
No who, what. Time. The passing of time.
Old 7 Sep 2023, 20:37 (Ref:4175602)   #381
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
No who, what. Time. The passing of time.

Hope he can find the Mexican GP coming up!
Old 7 Sep 2023, 22:48 (Ref:4175621)   #382
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Isn't Mexico considered 'central america'??
Old 8 Sep 2023, 02:55 (Ref:4175632)   #383
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Depends upon who is defining the boundaries and your personal perspective. Oddly enough from a UN perspective "North America" includes not just countries such as the US and Canada (Northern America), but also "Central America" (in which the UN places Mexico) and the Caribbean. But many might want a hard segregation between "North America" and "Central America" and in that situation, sometimes Mexico might be considered in Central America especially if your focus or perspective centers on culture and language from a "Latin America" perspective and less about pure geography.

But I would say in general (but not always) it is considered to be in "North America". Consider things like the now defunct "North America Free Trade Agreement" which was between Canada, US and Mexico.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 8 Sep 2023 at 03:03.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 07:26 (Ref:4175641)   #384
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Helmut Marko: "The Italian GP was surely one of Checo Perez‘s best weekends and we know about his problems in qualifying, which is where he has his doubts. Let’s remember that he is South American and so his head is not as focused as Max Verstappen or as Sebastian Vettel was"

So Senna lacked focus?
Old 8 Sep 2023, 07:38 (Ref:4175642)   #385
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
So Senna lacked focus?

Yeah, as well as Fangio, Fittipaldi, Piquet.....
Old 8 Sep 2023, 07:44 (Ref:4175643)   #386
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
.... the Rodriguez brothers, Carlos Pace, Reuteman etc al.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 08:31 (Ref:4175646)   #387
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Don't think so. Just look at a map and see where the United Mexican States actually is.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 11:00 (Ref:4175652)   #388
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Hope he can find the Mexican GP coming up!
Good one! May be we could suggest he could travel with Jeremy Clakson and pay the plane tickets with a brand new credit card (Gringo Express may be?).
Old 9 Sep 2023, 03:33 (Ref:4175766)   #389
Richard C
Veteran

Apparently Marko has provided a totally unscripted and heartfelt apology. I fully believe that this was NOT written by the Red Bull PR team in conjunction with the HR department.

Apparently as the comments were on ServusTV that PR statement was was posted their website (I can't find the post at all). But multiple media sites are running the story with the quote. https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...arks/10517836/

Text of the quote...
Quote:
I would like to apologise for my offensive remark and want to make it absolutely clear that I do not believe that we can generalise about the people from any country, any race, any ethnicity. I was trying to make a point that Checo has fluctuated in his performance this year, but it was wrong to attribute this to his cultural heritage.
Richard
Old 9 Sep 2023, 03:50 (Ref:4175768)   #390
Richard C
Veteran

I found this article to be interesting...

https://the-race.com/formula-1/marko...-have-to-stop/

It also talks to questions I had as to who is Marko's boss these days and why do they allow this type of behavior.

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2023, 04:51 (Ref:4175770)   #391
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
So Senna lacked focus?
According to Marko, Yes.
And that fellow Piquet, and the other one, what was his name....
Oh yes, Juan Manuel Fangio....
Old 15 Sep 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4176745)   #392
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been reading a fair bit about Helmut Marko, like this article from GP Fans, since his recent xenophobic comments about Sergio Perez and his role within the Red Bull organisation, particularly as head of the Red Bull's Young Driver programme, with his ruthless approach to those drivers coming through it, as well as his forthright comments in the paddock when interviewed.

I wonder if his comments about Perez are a manifestation of his ruthlessness and forthrightness and if this all stems from his own racing career that was suddenly cut short and which he is still bitter about and therefore takes it out on the drivers?

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-yuki-tsunoda/
Old 15 Sep 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4176748)   #393
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's a PR disaster. Now RBR team are saying that they have not released an official statement because Marko is not employed by the team, but is instead employed by a different part of the RB organisation. What a weak and pathetic response, hiding behind a small details as to his employment contract.

No doubt that many people will make Hamilton to be the bad guy in all of this.
Old 15 Sep 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4176749)   #394
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wonder if his comments about Perez are a manifestation of his ruthlessness and forthrightness and if this all stems from his own racing career that was suddenly cut short and which he is still bitter about and therefore takes it out on the drivers?
So hard to say without really knowing him. No doubt his prior F1 and racing experience (and circumstances that ended his driving career) factor in somewhere. But maybe he was just as ruthless before his injury? He also is clearly a product of his time/era as well.

When looking at his racing career, while he excelled at endurance racing, he was not as successful in F1. If he tried to enter F1 today with his track record of before, Marko would have cut himself from the racing program early on.

Richard
Old 15 Sep 2023, 22:09 (Ref:4176782)   #395
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
So hard to say without really knowing him. No doubt his prior F1 and racing experience (and circumstances that ended his driving career) factor in somewhere. But maybe he was just as ruthless before his injury? He also is clearly a product of his time/era as well.

When looking at his racing career, while he excelled at endurance racing, he was not as successful in F1. If he tried to enter F1 today with his track record of before, Marko would have cut himself from the racing program early on.

Richard

His F1 career was somewhat sporadic, only racing in 9 GPs over three years and never for a full season. Maybe '72 was going to be the breakthrough year, what with BRM giving him a better car. Either way, the accident at Clermont-Ferrand put an abrupt end to all of that and any future sports car success. Agreed, definitely a product of his time.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4178134)   #396
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With a return to form for RB/Max in Japan, would it be valid to now chalk up their Singapore form(or lack of it) down to the distractions caused by the fallout from Marko’s comments?

Of course it’s incredibly difficult to maintain that level of excellence for extended periods of time and nothing lasts forever so inevitable that an uncharacteristically bad weekend would crop up, but when they needed unity and focus, Marko provided discord. Has he become the weak link for this squad?
Old 24 Sep 2023, 21:10 (Ref:4178196)   #397
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
With a return to form for RB/Max in Japan, would it be valid to now chalk up their Singapore form(or lack of it) down to the distractions caused by the fallout from Marko’s comments?
What? It was due to nature of the circuit meaning they had to raise their ride height!
Old 24 Sep 2023, 22:51 (Ref:4178208)   #398
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
What? It was due to nature of the circuit meaning they had to raise their ride height!
My understanding as well. The higher ride height moved them out of their window of optimal performance. Running lower would have run risk of too much wear on legality plank.

Richard
Old 30 Sep 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4178848)   #399
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sergio Perez's season has completely imploded. He challenged Verstappen at times in the early part of the season, but has basically not only lost speed, but racecraft. He joins a long line of Red Bull number 2s to be outpsyched by the leader. It may not matter, you might say, as he is picking up points for the team, but not enough in my opinion and it is a waste of a seat. He finally got the penalty for his clumsy move on Magnussen for what he should have got for the Albon incident.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4178858)   #400
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His season has indeed imploded, but there's a bit of F1 perspective going on with it. Because you can look at his season and completely flip it around too:

He is currently sitting second in the championship, and is poised to give RBR its first ever 1-2 in the drivers championship - something they didn't manage even at the height of the Vettel dominance. It's safe to say his downfall begun at Monaco, 11 races ago. But in those 11 races, he has extended his second place in the championship 7 times out of the 11. And of the 4 times he didn't, one of them was Singapore where the car was no where.

He's still on for the best result ever for an RBR number 2. For a season that's imploded, helping achieve RBRs best ever result is pretty good.