Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3988766)   #46
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Like Aston Martin?
Exactly what I meant. Honestly could see him pulling an Aston DPi program after killing the hypercar. Lower budget and possibly LM but that could be tough sell to the ACO after dropping out.

Just from Lawrence's business past and the fact he has to answer to the money men,I could see him pushing to make the team best of the rest and if that means Jr is out, so be it. Remember, he only put up a small amount of the money needed, he's the face of the investment group.

I could also see this go the way of Haas and the investors demand he cut budget and source every part he can and Jr probably drives for free or close to it. But a paying driver would bring sponsors so also a chance to change both seats. But with rumors around Vettel make thought one more probable short term.

Sorry, just saw on RaceFans Vettel confirmed he has talked with RP so that changes the discussion a bit. And possibly moves him forward in the field. An odd thing to think about remembering Force India, Spyker, Midland days. Moving forward in the field moving from a Ferrari just seems odd. But Vettel has been the midfield runner so maybe not the car
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3988773)   #47
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
To be honest the racing point/pink Mercedes could see Vettel as a good bet, the Mercedes people will be pleased to have a German driving a car with a Mercedes engine. The fact that next year it will be badged as Aston Martin will not really cause Mercedes a problem as we all know what engine it has.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:18 (Ref:3988793)   #48
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
NC, USA
Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think you could see Daddy cut Jr out and get him a sportscar team if he really wants to keep racing. Stroll Sr is a business man and has a group to answer to, it's not just his team. He's just the frontman for an investment group.
I think this is a dark horse, but frankly I like this idea. It is the most logical thing to do. The problem is when you start expecting people to think logically!

With that said, I do think Lance has been improving. Do I think he will ever be WDC material? No. But I think he is improving. But a Vettel/Perez paring would be better than Vettel/Stroll.

Richard
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:24 (Ref:3988797)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes Vettle Perez would be better but the decision is not ours to make and i suspect if Vettel does drive he will not have Perez as a team mate it will be Lance.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3988810)   #50
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most definitely it's Perez losing out now, give 2 years, maybe that would change
Old 16 Jul 2020, 20:04 (Ref:3988814)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Well Vettel need to do a better job than he is now if he is going to Aston, otherwise it’s going to look foolish him replacing the solid Checo
Old 16 Jul 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3988822)   #52
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Remember, he only put up a small amount of the money needed, he's the face of the investment group.
Minority ‘small part’ as in 99%.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3988827)   #53
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Haas are still about next year then I think that Perez could be quite good for them. And yes it's a shame that Perez would likely be dropping to the back of the grid, but that's life really. I'd be very surprised to see Red Bull interested, they usually just use their own driver pool. Alfa Romeo are I suppose a possibility, but it seems a bit more like that's being used as a Ferrari junior team now.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:23 (Ref:3988833)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair to Checo he’s proven to be a safe pair of hands. That’s why he’s still in F1 after all this time. While it would be a blow to lose his current seat, he should slot in elsewhere no problem, providing no outside influences get in the way, like money or politics
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:29 (Ref:3988835)   #55
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Minority ‘small part’ as in 99%.
His group did, he personally did not put up 99%. Two of the other members have much more money in then he has, he is the face of their investment group for this and Aston Martin. And was installed at Aston Martin as part of that deal. Which allowed him to extend the team sponsor deal AFTER getting the vote of the remaining Aston shareholders. He doesn't personally own either one.

Last edited by broadrun96; 16 Jul 2020 at 22:34.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3988876)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Checo was the one who effectively instrumented the process that saved the team! Surely he is well enough entrenched to carry favour there??
It would be madness to replace him with Vettel. I'm not sure Seb is even suitable atm anyway!

I hope Checo isn't seriously considering Haas in their current situation!

Trouble is where else would he go?

Doubt he's bothered about Formula E, or sportscars.

Could the Slims finally take the plunge and buy a team? Haas with more investment might be a good idea.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 10:53 (Ref:3988946)   #57
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sainz is not at Ferrari yet, and he's already having to answer questions about poor performance.

Sainz not worried by Ferrari slump ahead of 2021 move

In the current tables, the closest challenger to Mercedes is Lando, McLaren are second in the Constructor Standings (Ferrari fifth), and both fastest laps so far have gone to McLaren. Is Sainz following his fellow Spaniard in leaving/joining teams at the wrong time?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3988988)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
It surely must be of some concern but recent history tells us that the reds will always be ahead of McLaren.
McLaren are still progressing but are a customer team, however there is still a sneaking suspicion among many that they may become more than that if the plug gets pulled on Brackley, and Stuttgart throw their weight behind 2 quasi works customers.... Namely the papaya lot and Aston/RP.

Sainz has a 2 year deal I think? If Ferrari are average, i'm sure those in the know will still notice his performances.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3988991)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

Of course the problem is Norris is currently outracing Sainz, but then again, Ferrari probably signed Sainz as a solid backup to Leclerc, so I don’t think it really matters to them
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:46 (Ref:3988999)   #60
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course the problem is Norris is currently outracing Sainz, but then again, Ferrari probably signed Sainz as a solid backup to Leclerc, so I don’t think it really matters to them
'outracing' is a tad exaggerated I think.

At Austria #1 the difference between them was 4.5 seconds. They were fightig for position a few laps from the end, so it could just as easily have been the other way around.
At Austria #2, the difference was 26" but Sainz made an extra stop to get the fastest lap.

So, both rounds to Norris indeed, but outracing ... no.