Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest F1 driver?
Lewis Hamilton 22 22.00%
Michael Schumacher 11 11.00%
Juan Manuel Fangio 6 6.00%
Alain Prost 7 7.00%
Ayrton Senna 22 22.00%
Jackie Stewart 0 0%
Jim Clark 17 17.00%
Alberto Ascari 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 1 1.00%
Niki Lauda 3 3.00%
Stirling Moss 2 2.00%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nigel Mansell 1 1.00%
Nelson Piquet 0 0%
James Hunt 0 0%
Mika Hakkinen 0 0%
Giles Villeneuve 2 2.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 0 0%
Jack Brabham 4 4.00%
Carlos Reutemann 0 0%
Jochen Rindt 0 0%
Ronnie Peterson 1 1.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 1 1.00%
Graham Hill 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Mar 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4037952)   #1
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Who is the Greatest F1 driver of all time?

Who is the Greatest F1 driver since the very first race in 1950?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4037968)   #2
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
So I voted for Lewis Hamilton, for reasons that I have previously mentioned on the other poll. Although I think, on pure driving ability, Michael Schumacher was the greatest. But he is ruled out because of Jerez 1997. I think Hamilton has the raw speed and makes few enough mistakes. As I said, I don't want him as number one, because I think he has too many flaws to be the GOAT. But I think every other driver has more flaws, so I am going to have Hamilton as number one.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 15:53 (Ref:4037969)   #3
BTCC frog
Veteran

Interesting to see that the previous version of this poll (from nearly 20 years ago!) voted Senna as the greatest. I wonder if we will have the same opinion 20 years later.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:15 (Ref:4037981)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a small point, with one or two exceptions all those listed are World Champions. Shouldn't it be any driver and if so what about Jackie Ickx, or John Surtees to name but two?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4037982)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Who is the Greatest F1 driver since the very first race in 1950?
Interesting list you provide - and a few WDCs missing?

Fittipaldi - 2x WDC with different teams (including youngest ever at the time), CART title and 2x Indy500.

Hawthorn - 1st British WDC. 24h Le Mans winner.

Surtees - WDC and multiple successes on 2 wheels.

Keke Rosberg - WDC and father of a WDC.

Farina - 1st ever WDC.

Mario Andretti - Named the "Driver of the Century" by the Associated Press and RACER magazine, 2000.

Damon Hill - took a title in the midst of Schumacher's era.

Jacques Villeneuve - achieved a title in F1 (something Gilles did not).

There are cases to be made for any of these to be on the list ahead of some of the choices - so my vote would be for 'other'.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4037984)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Interesting to see that the previous version of this poll (from nearly 20 years ago!) voted Senna as the greatest. I wonder if we will have the same opinion 20 years later.
Do you have a link to that to save me searching?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:02 (Ref:4037998)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I voted for Hamilton.

For me he is on a three-man shortlist with Senna and Schumacher.

If I wanted a driver to drive one lap to save my life, I’d pick Senna. But he was too willing to drive rivals off the track, too unwilling to accept the right of others to even be on the same track. Exhilarating, inspiring, driven, awesome. But flawed.

If I wanted to build an entire team from scratch and make it great, I’d pick Schumacher. Re-invented what was expected of drivers physically, technically, mechanically. But...his numbers are inflated by having co-drivers not allowed to compete. And he had some awful cynical moments that diminished him.

If I wanted a driver to turn up race after race, year after year and all but guarantee that the car would go as fast as it could, never making mistakes, setting relentless standards of brilliance, I’d pick Hamilton. He pushes everyone around him to new standards of excellence. He breaks teammates with his intensity. He stands alone among his peers and for me, atop this awesome list.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:14 (Ref:4038002)   #8
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interesting list you provide - and a few WDCs missing?

Fittipaldi - 2x WDC with different teams (including youngest ever at the time), CART title and 2x Indy500.

Hawthorn - 1st British WDC. 24h Le Mans winner.

Surtees - WDC and multiple successes on 2 wheels.

Keke Rosberg - WDC and father of a WDC.

Farina - 1st ever WDC.

Mario Andretti - Named the "Driver of the Century" by the Associated Press and RACER magazine, 2000.

Damon Hill - took a title in the midst of Schumacher's era.

Jacques Villeneuve - achieved a title in F1 (something Gilles did not).

There are cases to be made for any of these to be on the list ahead of some of the choices - so my vote would be for 'other'.
I originally had 64 drivers on the list, but decided that was too many and reduced it to 25. If your vote is for 'other' that must mean you have a particular driver in mind as the greatest. Unless you would vote for 'no opinion' which is fine too.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4038003)   #9
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I just noticed it in the 'similar threads' section at the bottom of this thread.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4038005)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I originally had 64 drivers on the list, but decided that was too many and reduced it to 25. If your vote is for 'other' that must mean you have a particular driver in mind as the greatest. Unless you would vote for 'no opinion' which is fine too.
I'm between Fittipaldi for success, Surtees for talent and Jacques Villeneuve for style.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4038006)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12779 ????
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4038008)   #12
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just a small point, with one or two exceptions all those listed are World Champions. Shouldn't it be any driver and if so what about Jackie Ickx, or John Surtees to name but two?
Well the maximum allowed is 64 options, but I thought it was too many to have 64 drivers in the poll. If you want to vote for Ickx or Surtees, just write as a comment,

I vote for ...

and everyone can just add it to a mental list, but I doubt very many people will vote for someone not on that list.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4038029)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Out of interest - what criteria did you decide to use to reduce the list?

The following was published in 2016, which differs quite a bit from your list:

Has Emerson Fittipaldi really gone from being in people's top ten 5 years ago to not being in the top 25 now?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4038033)   #14
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Out of interest - what criteria did you decide to use to reduce the list?

The following was published in 2016, which differs quite a bit from your list:

Has Emerson Fittipaldi really gone from being in people's top ten 5 years ago to not being in the top 25 now?
The criteria was simply who I thought people might vote for. Maybe Fittipaldi should be in there instead of Reutemann, but I didn’t expect people to vote for Fittipaldi. Apologies if you want to vote for him.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4038068)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm between Fittipaldi for success, Surtees for talent and Jacques Villeneuve for style.
Style as in 'Baggy trousers'....... ?
Old 3 Mar 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4038144)   #16
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
What on earth is Carlos Reutemann doing on the list? And our Nige was heroic on the day but come on , he was no Senna or Prost ,some days he wasn't even really a Mansell really... And heavens , juts how much of a besotted fan does one have to be to even consider Max Verstappen as a candidate. Isn't it a bit, y'know ... early to start thinking about accolades like that ?

As Grand Prix racing started in 1906 I will chuck Tazio Nuvolari's name into the ring . Along with that wonderful buccaneer , Clay Reggazoni , he looks just like an Italian racing driver should . And yes , Clay was technically Swiss , I know .
Old 3 Mar 2021, 08:33 (Ref:4038154)   #17
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
What on earth is Carlos Reutemann doing on the list? And our Nige was heroic on the day but come on , he was no Senna or Prost ,some days he wasn't even really a Mansell really... And heavens , juts how much of a besotted fan does one have to be to even consider Max Verstappen as a candidate. Isn't it a bit, y'know ... early to start thinking about accolades like that ?

As Grand Prix racing started in 1906 I will chuck Tazio Nuvolari's name into the ring . Along with that wonderful buccaneer , Clay Reggazoni , he looks just like an Italian racing driver should . And yes , Clay was technically Swiss , I know .
I thought these were the 25 drivers most likely to be voted for by someone. Clearly I should have had Fittipaldi instead of Reutemann, but I hadn't been expecting someone to vote for Fittipaldi, whereas I think I once saw someone on reddit suggest that Reutemann was the greatest. I think there might be someone who votes for Mansell or Verstappen, but realistically I think the only proper candidates are Hamilton, Schumacher, Fangio, Prost, Senna, Stewart and Clark.

And I was only counting Formula 1 since 1950, so Nuvolari was not included.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4038235)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I like a lot of drivers on that list. I don't think Fittipaldi was better than Reutemann, Reutemann was one of the best of his era. Fittipaldi was good, but I wouldn't quite put him in the great category. Reutemann's talent was one of the highest, just never quite got it together to be champion and never seemed to be in the right place at the right time. If only he'd stayed at Ferrari after 78

I see nothing wrong with having our Nige on the list, he was a great driver. There are some who I think more than warrant a place on the list, the likes of Prost, Senna, Clark and Moss to name but a few. Overall I've gone for Prost. IMHO the best of his time and had artistry that was second to none, especially as his smooth style make a hard job look easy and he never looked hurried or making a mistake

Of course it is hard to compare eras, but in each era there have always been a select few that were cut above the rest and from that you can start to get a fair idea who were the greatest of all time
Old 3 Mar 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4038253)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted for Taki Inoue. No top-anything list is complete without him.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4038268)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think your analysis is rather tacky, TBH......
Old 3 Mar 2021, 16:06 (Ref:4038343)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He certainly has had more success on Twitter than his ill fated F1 career
Old 6 Mar 2021, 00:12 (Ref:4039111)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think your analysis is rather tacky, TBH......

Aha! I see what you did there - nicely done.

Honestly don't know why we've suddenly gone OTT with votes for GOATS across a range of different areas here but to me they're all pretty meaningless.

First and most critical thing is that there'll be many, many different understandings of what defines "the greatest" across the range of posters here. So, for a poll to be meaningful in any way, the OP should at least offer their proposed definition, so that we can sort that out, prior to any list or any voting.

Unless that's done, it's all pretty meaningless but does lead to funny/silly posts, such as Inoue being on the list and that being tacky - nice bit of fun to start the day!
Old 6 Mar 2021, 04:33 (Ref:4039132)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s something to do.

Why give a definition? Let the individual decide what makes someone the GOAT and say why. It’s more interesting.

Although if you need a definition, I think the GOAT has to be the fastest F1 driver who achieved being hit by a course car more than once.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4039187)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

First and most critical thing is that there'll be many, many different understandings of what defines "the greatest" across the range of posters here. So, for a poll to be meaningful in any way, the OP should at least offer their proposed definition, so that we can sort that out, prior to any list or any voting.

Unless that's done, it's all pretty meaningless but does lead to funny/silly posts, such as Inoue being on the list and that being tacky - nice bit of fun to start the day!
I think you've missed the point though, it isn't meant to be meaningful at all (as I see it, anyway). It is just a bit of fun to while away some time. There is something to be said for some complete frivolity, now and again....
Old 6 Mar 2021, 12:31 (Ref:4039191)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think you've missed the point though, it isn't meant to be meaningful at all (as I see it, anyway). It is just a bit of fun to while away some time. There is something to be said for some complete frivolity, now and again....
Greatest F1 driver of all time?
I'll go for the following criteria - how well can they drive with patent dinner shoes on?

There is only one person I have seen able to do this - Sergio Perez - so he must be the greatest. Prove me otherwise based on that criteria!