Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1094132)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tomas Enge

Tomas Enge will drive in two IndyCar races in October for Patrick Racing.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1094140)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know much about Enge - other than the fact that I'm a fan of his simply because of all that he's gone through lately!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1094142)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, surprising.

I thought Patrick seemed very happy with Lazier, after his 8th place finish. It seems he is searching very hard for the right driver. He's tried Simmons, and Lazier, and now onto Enge.

Do you think Lazier is out, or is there a possibility of a two car effort next season?

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1094145)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
He would have zero oval experience, wouldn't he?
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1094148)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's done a few oval tests and was to have driven in the CART race at Fontana last year, before it was cancelled.

I suspect Patrick might be looking at two cars, yes.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1094151)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I had no idea that he was scheduled for Fontana.
I knew that Valiante was.
I realize that it's the wrong forum, but for which team?
Old 12 Sep 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1094159)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Dale Coyne.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1094226)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was gutted because I was really looking forward to the King Taco 500.

Anyways I predicted he was going to replace Jaques Lazier for the end of the season. It's looking good that Pat will field 2 cars with Jaques and Tomas next year.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1094267)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised at the ide aof Jacques being out, but it's good news for Enge, who deserves the chance to relaunch his career in America after being so abdly treated by F3000 officials. It's not as if he was driving while stoned (he wouldn't've won if he was) and the team was sponsored by a vodka manfuacturer anyway.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1094272)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The vodka-link really has nothing to do with it.
Marijuana doesn't enhance one's driving ability, that whole ordeal was a sham, IMO.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1094345)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow , this is certainly news (not sure if its good or bad yet?)

anyway good luck to him I hope he does well.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1094359)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Tomas Enge

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Tomas Enge will drive in two IndyCar races in October for Patrick Racing.
KB is the news reliable?
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1094363)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes.

Tomas is the source!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1094364)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well it couldn't have been a more reliable source then!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1094941)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
The vodka-link really has nothing to do with it.
Marijuana doesn't enhance one's driving ability, that whole ordeal was a sham, IMO.
I don't know about it being a 'sham'; Enge was found to have an illegal drug in his bloodstream and it was the FIA's policy that he should be punished. Where I'd take issue with their action is in exercising a sporting punishment for a non-sporting offence. A fine would have been more appropriate, rather than docking points which changed the course of the championship.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1094992)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A fine would've been acceptable, but still unfair IMHO. The whole thing only relates to his private life, and it's a pretty harmless drug that shouldn't remain illegal anyway. Testing drivers for consumption of it after a race is flawed, because traces too minute to have an effect remain in the bloodstream for weeks.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1095035)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

If he was in a room with other people who were smoking cannabis, that would be enough to give a failed drug test.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1095165)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Indy Star reported yesterday that Enge is taking Lazier's spot due to $$$ with a likely eye toward next season...

It did note that the Laziers have money, etc., but the realistic $$$ package that a driver will have to bring to Patrick is about $2.5 million to run next year....

Jacques was gracious in his comments and was understanding...he considered it to be the reality racing these days...

So the two-car team concept doesn't seem to be in the cards...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1095235)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Thanks Tim, it's a real shame Jaques' lost out for monetary reasons, but at least the driver taking over is worthy of a chance.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1095247)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes - Tomas is very talented.

I hope he's not unfairly labelled as a "foreign ride-buyer".
Old 13 Sep 2004, 17:11 (Ref:1095369)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well he has nothing to prove to me anyway!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1095754)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Yes - Tomas is very talented.

I hope he's not unfairly labelled as a "foreign ride-buyer".
Its going to be alittle tough not to label him as a ride buyer, unfortunately.

You take out a popular old IRL hand like Lazier, who is a decent driver, popular, with good expierience on these cars, and an American, and bring in a foreign driver with almost zero oval time, no IndyCar expierience, and on a single car team no less, and it sounds like a ride buy to me...

By the way, being in a room full of people smoking pot, will not get you a positive test result...
Old 14 Sep 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1096177)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
GP, this is off-topic and more of a "Parc Ferme" thing, but being in a room full of marijuana smoke will indeed cause a positive result. Marijuana can be detected in the bloodstream up to 6 weeks post-exposure.

The test has no way of distinguishing whether you actually inhaled voluntarily or if the smoke itself was ingested as second-hand.

As far as the comments above about Enge being treated unfairly, he knew the rules. They were very expressly stated. He drove in the series and thereby agreed to abide by ALL of the rules. He was caught and penalized per the rules.

We may think it a silly rule but it was foolish to place himself in that position.

Agree about Lazier though...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1096221)   #24
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lazier is 'decent' at best; his CV is less impressive than Enge's. Tomas may have little oval experience, but neither did Wheldon when he came in, and he's now beating Franchitti and Herta with ease. I agree that it's a shame money has changed hands, but I believe Tomas would have a chance of getting a funded ride anyway.

Hopefully the downgrading of cannabis to a class C drug int he UK, and increasingly tolerant attitudes worldwide, will lead championships to move towards fines rather than points penalties for that type of infringement.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1096493)   #25
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tomas is the source
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Well it couldn't have been a more reliable source then!
Hate to be cynical, but Ben Collins???

I do hope Tomas gets a chance, he is very quick.
Plus, maybe him and Scheckter could push for a race in Amsterdam