Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2952773)   #1
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Lotus moving out of Norfolk

Rumour has it, Team Lotus (Air-Asia-Caterham) are close to a deal to move out of Hingham, Norfolk and into the old Arrows factory at Leafield, Oxfordshire. The extra space would be ideal to accommodate their GP2 team and their soon to be WSBR team. It would also put them much nearer to a larger workforce that would also work for Caterham cars.

Looks like along with the name change for next season they are breaking all ties with the Lotus brand.................but it's just gossip isn't it.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2952838)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumours tag added to the title...
Old 11 Sep 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2954077)   #3
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Rumours tag added to the title...

You can now remove the rumours tag
Old 12 Sep 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2954351)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like a move is going to happen early next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94515
Old 12 Sep 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2954651)   #5
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It looks like a move is going to happen early next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94515

Much sooner than next year
Old 12 Sep 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2954731)   #6
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It makes sense. A Norfolk base is just pretending there is some historic connection. An Oxfordshire base puts them in the heart of Carbon Fibre Valley.

Even back in the glory days of Team Lotus, the location was a pain. It was a 4 hour drive to the Midlands and Team employed a gopher just to run to and fro the Midlands. In those days, that was 3% of the total workforce.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2957715)   #7
betablocker
Rookie

England
London
betablocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It makes sense. A Norfolk base is just pretending there is some historic connection. An Oxfordshire base puts them in the heart of Carbon Fibre Valley.
I think its sad to move the team. The factory is massive and has planning permission to have a windtunnel on site and room to expand so why move? 3 of some of the biggest suppliers are based in norfolk and now they dont have to test constantly at silverstone why do it? No ones is going to buy that place off of them. It was empty for a year or so when RTN finished. Its only designed to be a race car place.

They got loads of money to **** against the wall, they obviously prefer to move premises than move up the grid!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2957761)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
So they're going to be rebranded Arrows?
Old 18 Sep 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2957770)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
In that case, what's happened to Menard Engines? I thought they were at the old Arrows facility?
Old 18 Sep 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2957817)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

Even back in the glory days of Team Lotus, the location was a pain. It was a 4 hour drive to the Midlands and Team employed a gopher just to run to and fro the Midlands. In those days, that was 3% of the total workforce.
How old are some of those buildings though? TWR has been out of the game for 8 years, and most of those sheds have been there since before that...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2958488)   #11
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How old are some of those buildings though? TWR has been out of the game for 8 years, and most of those sheds have been there since before that...
It worked well enough for Super Aguri. MCT still around? Building was owned by Menard, I think - SA only leased space.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2960135)   #12
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
In that case, what's happened to Menard Engines? I thought they were at the old Arrows facility?
mmm I am not sure but I think Formtech Composites is based at Arrows former factory.

http://www.formtech-composites.co.uk/about.html
Old 23 Sep 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2960214)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri_tifosi View Post
mmm I am not sure but I think Formtech Composites is based at Arrows former factory.

http://www.formtech-composites.co.uk/about.html
Does Mr Preston come along with the buildings? Maybe it would help progress the 1Malaysia team even faster...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2960289)   #14
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does Mr Preston come along with the buildings? Maybe it would help progress the 1Malaysia team even faster...
Probably they want to subcontract all the composites to Formtech
Old 24 Sep 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2960399)   #15
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen an ad in Savills for the 'Leafield technology centre' so it must be un-occupied.