Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Mar 2002, 18:19 (Ref:245287)   #1
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART sues Heitzler

The Detroit News reported today that CART is sueing Heitzler for fraud to the tune of $500,000. Link to article:
http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider...b02-450317.htm
Old 27 Mar 2002, 19:37 (Ref:245338)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Independently of being guilty of fraud or not, Heizler was the worst president/chairman I have ever seen leading a category, within and out of the world of motorsport.

He was so bad, so bad that I wonder whether he was a secret agent working for Tony George...

He was hired based on his media "connections" and "credentials" - later it was learnt that these connections and credentials had been very, say, overestimated...

Muzza
Old 28 Mar 2002, 02:09 (Ref:245580)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who really made the stupid decision, though? Heitzler for being himself, or CART for hiring a moron with no experience in auto racing, and for not verifying his resume?
Old 28 Mar 2002, 06:29 (Ref:245686)   #4
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heitzler got the job because he was the low bidder. It just goes to show, you get what you pay for...
Old 28 Mar 2002, 07:09 (Ref:245696)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Why didn't they fire him long before they did? This is insane. The series is getting more press attention about the various lawsuits than they are the racing. How did he get hired, anyway? I mean, who makes the decisions? The team owners or a board of directors or what? Whoever hired him should be given fifty pushups.

Chris Pook has got his work cut out for him, but I think he's the best thing to ever happen to CART. Time will tell.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 08:50 (Ref:245730)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I AM SWAMMI THE GREAT!!!! FORTUNE TELLER EXTRODINARE!!!

hahahahahahhahahha! I TOLD all of you there would be subpeonas for Uncle Joe before all this was over.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 16:30 (Ref:245972)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
I had the chance to talk to Chris Pook's assistant/secretary about the reasons for not having him sooner as Head of CART (I talked to her in January 2002).

She said that Pook did not want to relocate, he wanted to continue to live in the West Coast. At the time I played that lightly, because there were other considerations too:

1.) salary (indeed Heizler asked for much less - let' say that he did not leave his previous job on a high);

2.) power (Pook wanted more control over the series management, and many of the team owners - reputedly Carl Haas and Forsythe - did not agree).

Then, some weeks ago, I heard that... CART may relocate to the West Coast, namely Las Vegas.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 28 Mar 2002, 16:46 (Ref:245979)   #8
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Actually CART is set to relocate to Indianapolis in June. Las Vegas was a posibility thrown around by Heitzler. Indy, being the location of most of the CART teams, makes sence.

Last edited by SevenGrain; 28 Mar 2002 at 16:46.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 18:31 (Ref:246043)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, SevenGrain,

Thanks for clarifying the CART office relocation issue.

Hopefully having both CART and IRL with headoffices in the same town will bring them closer - not only on the geographic meaning.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 29 Mar 2002, 00:10 (Ref:246319)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, like having Arabs and Jews living in Jerusalem together makes them pals.

I hope the racing gets started soon so we can have something to talk about besides gossip and scandal.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 17:08 (Ref:247442)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...And now Heitzler is suing CART!

http://sports.excite.com/news/03292002/v6929.html
Old 30 Mar 2002, 17:41 (Ref:247467)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a clustering operation!!!

And no one could see this coming? Search your memories.

After watching Uncle Joe try to flim flam everyone in Texas, it was just a matter of time before it all caught up to him. You don't speak like that unless you have as much to hide as Bill Clinton.

But who can know who stuck it to whom in this case? Like I said six months ago, there are going to be plenty of subpeonas flying around. And don't think for a second that eventually there won't be indictments being handed out. And then the FTC will get involved. And when the IRS smells blood, it will really get ugly.

And once all the alleged fraud is exposed, what do you think the stockholders are going to do? Is a class action suit impossible? Especially with Grosfeld and Vannani lurking? Will anyone trust the owners again after this?

What a pitiful and shameful way for CART to go out.
Old 31 Mar 2002, 13:14 (Ref:248032)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have nothing to say to all this Champ Car bashing, except to repeat that I'll be glad when the racing starts up again.

Meanwhile, I'll see you in Sports Cars a/k/a Racing Without Guilt.
Old 31 Mar 2002, 17:58 (Ref:248178)   #14
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
What a pitiful and shameful way for CART to go out.
It's a bit of a stretch to predict the end of CART (again)

Ever since Penske pulled out, CART's detractors have been pointing to every bump in the road as the demise of CART.

Last I checked, CART has announced two new events in Miami and St. Petersburg. CART has Cosworth back in the fold, and Honda ready to rejoin in 04, with Judd and TWR in the wings. CART has also renewed with Fed-Ex as well as a number of their other associate sponsors. There were 95,000 on race day in Monterrey with a similar crowd expected at Long Beach. Montreal is expecting as much as 180,000 and Mexico City; 300,000. And Roger Penske has asked Chris Pook to reserve their racing numbers for a possible return.

Sure, CART's litigation with it's former CEO is going to get ugly; possibly very ugly, but it wont make the series disappear.

Last edited by SevenGrain; 31 Mar 2002 at 17:59.
Old 31 Mar 2002, 19:10 (Ref:248242)   #15
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda to rejoin in 2004, why quit?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Apr 2002, 04:10 (Ref:248623)   #16
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Because they cannot get an '03 spec engine bulit and track ready in time for the 2003 season. Honda Performance Development farms out a lot of thier engine program, whereas Cosworth builds entirely in house. Therefore Cosworth can get an engine ready quicker.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 08:57 (Ref:250686)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The soap opera continues...

We've already discussed how Heitzler is suing CART for $2 million for breach of contract, fraud and negligent misrepresentation.

But now he's suing Pat Patrick and Carl Haas for, get this... $20 million! This one's for slander and libel. He claims that the two men conducted a smear campaign that cost Heitzler his job. It states that they hired a law firm to investigate him, and distributed false and incomplete information about him.

Twenty million bucks? C'mon.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 13:55 (Ref:250907)   #18
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Well, i suppose that if he wasn't incompetent to begin with, Patrick and Haas wouldn't have had to investigate him. I believe that Heitzler is the only one who cost Heitzler his job...