Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2002, 11:57 (Ref:263852)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna's Helmet Released - And Destroyed

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...17041242.shtml

Quote:
According to the wishes of the Senna Family and BRE, the helmet was destroyed on the same day in Bologna by incineration in presence of Mme Cohen-Kindt and Senna Family representatives.
It's only appropriate, isn't it. I dont think the car should be destroyed - but the helmet - that is part of Ayrton, and will only serve to remind us of the horrors of that terrible weekend. This is a good decision I believe, but I hope that the car is just locked up, I dont think it should be destroyed - it's perhaps THE BIGGEST peiece of F1 history there is.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 12:16 (Ref:263864)   #2
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best thing that could be done with it, rather than some morbid gettin' hold of it.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 12:59 (Ref:263928)   #3
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read that Williams are keeping Ayrtons FW16 somewhere in Grove - apparently, its stored somewhere that few people know even exists...
Old 18 Apr 2002, 13:17 (Ref:263966)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from grandprix.com:

Quote:
The Williams chassis in which Senna was killed has also been released by the Italian authorities and we believe that this has also been destroyed by the team to avoid any unseemly trading at any point in the future.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 13:52 (Ref:264006)   #5
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks God they got rid of that helmet.
About the chassis... I think that it should be destroyed too.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 14:03 (Ref:264021)   #6
J.McClane
Veteran

I agree about the helmet, but as for the chassis.
They could always use it for research on the Senna film. That's if it hasn't already been destroyed.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 14:06 (Ref:264026)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, but this is a wicked world. Senna's sister told that they have been asked to sell the helmet and other pieces from that tragedy, and it was a lot of money. But they refused telling that no money is worth enough, even if for the starving children...
Old 18 Apr 2002, 14:14 (Ref:264034)   #8
J.McClane
Veteran

Fair play to the Senna family i say.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 15:21 (Ref:264066)   #9
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
destroy it all......rather that then some sick idiot getting hold of it in the future - its hardly a piece of memorabilia to be proud of is it!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 17:47 (Ref:264157)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was in todays Autosport magazine:

"The Williams FW16 which Ayrton Senna was driving when he was killed at Imola in 1994 has been destroyed by the Williams team. Helmet manufacturer Bell has returned the helmet the three-times champion was wearing at the time of the accident. It was incinerated last week."

I'm not surprised both have been destroyed.

Last edited by Speedworx; 18 Apr 2002 at 17:49.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 18:13 (Ref:264171)   #11
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
This was in todays Autosport magazine:

"The Williams FW16 which Ayrton Senna was driving when he was killed at Imola in 1994 has been destroyed by the Williams team. Helmet manufacturer Bell has returned the helmet the three-times champion was wearing at the time of the accident. It was incinerated last week."

I'm not surprised both have been destroyed.
This is what was in todays F1Racing:
Attached Thumbnails
f1racingmay.jpg  
Old 18 Apr 2002, 19:30 (Ref:264227)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm glad that both are/have been destroyed. Like the rest of you I don't like the idea of vast amounts of money being paid in years to come.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 20:01 (Ref:264245)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank God that some people still have morals, those who want to profit from Sennas death are just sick.

OLE OLE OLE OLA SENNA SENNA
Old 18 Apr 2002, 21:26 (Ref:264340)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, overall probably the best solution. Now the last parts of that awful weekend almost eight years ago have finally been laid to rest.

RIP Ayrton.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:46 (Ref:264410)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I am speechless after reading all the comments you people have written. Personally, I am still undecided as to what to think about Senna's death related artifacts.

On the one hand, I kinda agree that with most of you that you don't want someone to make $$$ off his accident related stuff. OTOH, if I saw some Senna crash artifact, in a museum for example, I would just reflect about how great a driver he was.

OTOH, judging from everyone's responses, I guess remembering the crash is just too painful???

Of course, no offense was intended with my comments. Just some of my thoughts.

Last edited by kmchow; 18 Apr 2002 at 22:47.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:55 (Ref:264425)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
OTOH, if I saw some Senna crash artifact, in a museum for example, I would just reflect about how great a driver he was.

OTOH, judging from everyone's responses, I guess remembering the crash is just too painful???

Of course, no offense was intended with my comments. Just some of my thoughts.
i don't think anyone can take offence at what you've said here KM, you are entitled to your opinion after all! everybody here has different feelings about what should happen to the car and helmet, but at the end of the day it's down to the williams team (for the car) and the senna family (for the helmet) to deciede what to do and everybody else to respect their decision!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 01:59 (Ref:264491)   #17
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as for the helmet, OK destroy it.
but i still think the car shouldve been kept in one piece, so to speak.
it is an important part of F1 history, however sad.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 07:18 (Ref:264567)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I have just read on my Reuters new service that Williams have not destroyed the car. They are still uncertain what they will do with it but say the decision will be a private matter.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 08:13 (Ref:264573)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly right , it is a private matter ,

i dont think anyone can blame Frank and Patrick if they want to destroy that chassis .

Yes , it is a piece of F1 History and all that , but it must hurt like hell 100 times over every time they think about the death that occurred in that car .
Imagine how they must feel , now that the car is back with them at Grove . I think that whatever decsion they make is the right one , as they have to live with accident , not us.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 09:18 (Ref:264619)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Exactly. Well said Sato San
Old 19 Apr 2002, 19:45 (Ref:265065)   #21
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a quote from this week's AUTOSPORT.

"The Williams FW16 which Ayrton Senna was driving when he was killed at Imola in 1994 has been destroyed by the Williams team. Helmet manufacturer Bell was returned the helmet the three-time world champion was wearing at the time of the accident last week. It was immediatley incinerated
Old 19 Apr 2002, 20:22 (Ref:265108)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just looked at the link and I never knew of the stue of Senna at Imola.

To be honest I don't really know what to say, I still get emotional about his death. Nice tribute seem to be the only words I can come up with.

I just can't believe that its been nearly 8 years. I still remember it as though it were yesterday...
Old 19 Apr 2002, 20:53 (Ref:265146)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know of that memorial either (though I do know there's a work of art at Imola called "Fountain of Life", commemorating both Senna and Ratzenberger). That Senna statue at the track where he was killed is only appropriate, I think, in honour of the greatest driver of our time.

I remember it vividly too, and I remember getting nausea every time I saw those pictures of that crash...
Old 20 Apr 2002, 00:43 (Ref:265349)   #24
J.McClane
Veteran

I only ever saw the crash once.....and that was live on TV.......never have nor never want to see it again
Old 20 Apr 2002, 07:02 (Ref:265462)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
By the way, the Willimas car he was driving has NOT been destroyed it was said by a Williams spokeperson yesterday. They have yet to decide what to do with the car. At the moment its in a secret location believed to be within the factory at Grove.