Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Oct 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1446270)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IRL to San Antonio? (Taken Off-Topic)

The thread that follows has been split from an existing thread. It's been getting along pretty nicely, so let's keep civil if we wish to discuss sensitive topics like this, shall we?
-MDad

This is getting to be a bit much. I don't mean to offend anyone, but why don't they rename the series "Champ Car with Indy?" Seriously. Are they shying away from their own model and trying to copy Champ Car? Otherwise I'm at a loss. The only reason there can't be a merger is because someone insists on full control.

I love this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTV
Those layouts could run around a massive development plan proposed by Holly Hills Investors, headed by former CART president Joe Heitzler

Last edited by macdaddy; 1 Nov 2005 at 23:44.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1446334)   #2
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub, a minor correction: BOTH sides insist on full control.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1446458)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Snrub, a minor correction: BOTH sides insist on full control.
I don't want to get into a big thing on this and I'm not trying to imply one side is better than another. In fact I think a compelling arguement could be made that CC's model doesn't have much of a track record in the US or for longevity, etc. In other words why would the IRL copy it? The IRL's model actually acheived something over time, whereas CC has been in too much of a mess to see if it's model will succeed in the US. To me it just seems a terribly desperate and perhaps imprudent move to give up and start copying.

To address your specific point, in the most recent round of negotiations the CC side proposed sharing power (recall how CC proposed buying into a share of Indy, etc. so TG couldn't just walk away again?), whereas TG would have none of it and proposed that he be the OW czar. There's a difference between insisting on full control vs. simply wanting control (implying a significant say, but not monopoly).
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1446646)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy, Snrub, I don't recall any such proposal being made or even leaked out on the boards by someone else.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1448531)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
You don't? I seem to recall arguing with you about it.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1448803)   #6
indycool
Veteran

No, I don't. I remember something leaking out when Penske and the IMS lawyer met with The Amigos in Detroit in June of 2004 when the question was asked of The amigos what they wanted and they had a long list of control items and the meeting ended in 20 minutes. That's the only thing I've ever heard about ANY CC proposal.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1448968)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Your last post makes me wonder if you're a "spin-doctor" in real life?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1448994)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Snrub is remembering the reunification talk that was being floated around this year's I500. It was pretty one sided IIRC; of course, IRL (or was that DRL?) was looking on top of their game at the time.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1449252)   #9
indycool
Veteran

Well, if anyone remembers a CC proposal, can you post the details of what seems to be known about it?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1449434)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/16291/
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1449499)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
The only "proposal" mentioned in that article is the one that supposedly came up during the discussions between Dick Eidswick and Tony George, and that one is entirely based on Dick Eidswick's personal intrepretation of the discussions.

In other words, nothing I'd call even close to a proper, official proposal.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1449557)   #12
indycool
Veteran

paul, I remember that meeting as an "under-the-gun" discussion just before Indy but I didn't honestly remember all of that that came out of it, which certainly have differing opinions of what got proposed by who.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1449568)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yeah, my feeling at the time was the timing was very much designed fo CC to cash in on the I500 hype.

I have no standing on whether any actual, valid proposals were made. I'm just showing one of the sources of the chatter.

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1449940)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for finding that link, Paul. A great read to refesh memories. I've been searching for another, mentioned in a thread some time ago, which featured an interview with Kalkhoven. He was quoted as saying that he walked out of the room laughing at the proposal that was laid out before him. I'll keep searching...