Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Sep 2007, 17:45 (Ref:2008683)   #1
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
tbg63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Just a bit of background. My Girlfriend (now Fiancee - as of Friday night - woooo hooo) wanted to come and marshal with me so she could see what I 'get out of it' so decided to come to the TWMC / SEMSEC / BRSCC meeting at Brands on 8/9 September.

We both expected her to be bored with it and go visiting relatives or go back to the tent with a good book.

However, SHE LOVED IT!!!! and is now registering to be a marshal in her own right.

Alot of this is to do with how welcome you guys made her feel and how you took the time and patience to explain things to her.

I know and accept it's unfair to name names - but I'm going to anyway - particularly I would like to say thank you to Howard (CIO) for not only taking her around the circuit in the safety car but while doing that, instead of going "balls out" and trying to impress with prowess in his ability to handle the car at high speeds, took time to explain everything to her. Thanks m8, she really loved it and, because of that, now understands alot more about the circuit than I could ever have explained.

Also, I would like to mention Richard and his wife (shoot me, I can't remember her name) who took time to explain exactly what was going on and when and why and how and..... and..... and.....

I think we've found our 'magnet' as on her first day, and right in front of her (startline), a Ferrari driver tried to put a 5 foot car in a 3 foot hole, as you'd expect it - well, just didn't happen, about 18 feet of catch fence, and 10 4"x4" posts later he came to a rest. She was scared and really upset by it and was worried about the driver - he was okay. Thank you to Mrs Nomex for giving her something to do that kept her mind off it and for Richard for clearly explaining everything that was going on and for everyone else who clearly understood how she was feeling and accomodated it (either through checking if she was okay or by cracking bad taste jokes - well you gotta ain't ya! - as the "old hands" do).

As I said earlier, she is now keen to 'do it again' and is looking through the diary to see what dates we are free.

Cheers guys

cya in the pits!!

Tel & Corri (Tigger and Tigger too!!!)
Old 10 Sep 2007, 18:06 (Ref:2008700)   #2
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
ooops I've just been reminded about Adrian!! Corri says thanks for the jokes and next time can you get some good ones, although they did the trick at the time
Old 10 Sep 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2008715)   #3
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm Gnomex, Mrs Gnomex?? Something you've forgotten to tell us?

Glad you enjoyed your day though guys. I was down on post 7 and having a really enjoyable day until that Ferrari did it's party trick.

And sorry Adrian's jokes do not get any better than that - take it from someone who has had to endure them for a long time!!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2008809)   #4
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
Gee Fanks Bug,

because of you guys she's looking at the calendar and saying "when can we do it again" am I lucky or what?

Tel
Old 10 Sep 2007, 21:32 (Ref:2008866)   #5
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tel and Corrie

Just really glad the events on the day didn't put you off. I'm afraid that Ferrari took a really bit hit - I reckon about 30 feet of armco (and catch fencing) went down at what we call "the bus stop", plus there was yet more armco damage on the pit lane exit further along.

It is real good to hear Corrie has got the taste for being a marshal - welcome to our mad world!

One final thing I should say about "Mrs Gnomex" - that terrific lady we were with is not She Who Must Be Obeyed (aka "wife") but Shirley with whom I have had the great priviledge of working with a number of times now. My wife is not a marshal (sighs!)......

Oh, and if you enjoyed the SEMSEC experience, don't forget you would both be VERY welcome down at Lydden to help at any of their meetings there. You mentioned you live close to me in Camberley and it really is a breeze to get down to Lydden from there. Speak to Chief Marshal Ade if you are thinking of coming. Next meeting there is Saturday 29 September.

Best wishes

Richard (aka Gnomex)
Old 11 Sep 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2009250)   #6
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tel and Cori,

I am glad Saturday's experience did not put Cori off, as you were both a great help to Bev's team gridding up on Sunday. Hope to see you both again soon.

Bryan
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2009577)   #7
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomex
One final thing I should say about "Mrs Gnomex" - that terrific lady we were with is not She Who Must Be Obeyed (aka "wife") but Shirley with whom I have had the great priviledge of working with a number of times now. My wife is not a marshal (sighs!)......
Oops!!!! Oh well, if you're gonna get it wrong, get it wrong BIG STYLE!!
Old 12 Sep 2007, 18:03 (Ref:2010364)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other alternative is to meet your partner through the marshalling (as with Bill & me). However, I am not suggesting that Gnomex trade in the current model.........
Old 12 Sep 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2010397)   #9
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
The other alternative is to meet your partner through the marshalling (as with Bill & me). However, I am not suggesting that Gnomex trade in the current model.........
The "current model"? I've had this one for over 27 years (and she tells me to say that I am still very happy)............it was a joke! Honest!!
Old 12 Sep 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2010404)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomex
The "current model"? I've had this one for over 27 years (and she tells me to say that I am still very happy)............it was a joke! Honest!!
Use the Terry Wogan line - "the current Mrs(Lady) Wogan" only if you need a "threat".
I'm sure you are as happy as Bill & myself - only 15 years to compare to yours.
And I thought I had replied as a joke so hope I haven't caused too much matrimonial disharmony.......
Old 13 Sep 2007, 14:42 (Ref:2011228)   #11
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
five years of happy marriage, been married 15 yrs tho. Well someone had to say it!!!!!
Old 13 Sep 2007, 19:27 (Ref:2011718)   #12
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Use the Terry Wogan line - "the current Mrs(Lady) Wogan" only if you need a "threat".
I'm sure you are as happy as Bill & myself - only 15 years to compare to yours.
And I thought I had replied as a joke so hope I haven't caused too much matrimonial disharmony.......
None at all - I did appreciate your humour and so my reply was in the same vein (although I apologise if it did not come out that way!).

Best wishes
Old 16 Sep 2007, 21:02 (Ref:2014987)   #13
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
heehee Corri here n from a bad ferrari day to love,well thats nice n a huge ty to the guys n gals there thats sat,mrs gnomex or not still a huge thank you from me n hope to see you soon Corri xx