Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 Jun 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2476156)   #1
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Litchfield's Tracks

So I don't have 50 different threads for all my tracks I plan on eventually posting, I'm gonna copy TilkeWannabe and post them all in one.

This track is called Catalan Park. It is set in Southern California, south of San Diego. I took some inspiration from Catalunya and Estoril, hence the name.

Turns 1-3 are all up hill and about a 20m rise from the front straight, and are essentially all one big left hand turn. Turn 4-7 are all down hill, with 6 being a 180, 25m R. This is the "Rise" and "Fall". Turn 8 is a quick section, known as the "Bump". Turns 11 & 12 make up a decreasing radius combo which lead onto a rising straight. Turns 13-15 are known as "The Kinks", with the uphill rise peaking just after 14. It's back downhill to 15-16, then through 17 and onto 18 which is known as the "Dip" and is basically a smaller cousin of the "Bump".

The track comes in at 2.36mi (3.798km).

My favorite part of the track is the "Rise" because from the beginning of the front straight to the breaking zone for 4 is almost flat out (a little bit of layoff for Turn 1 is the only exception).

Let me know what you guys think about the layout.
Attached Thumbnails
catalan.png  
Old 5 Jun 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2476184)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original idea was Yannick, tbh, but there you go, it's a good system

This seems to be a very technical circuit, whilst also allowing fro flow and decent opporunities to overtake. I'm going to be a pain and suggest changing the direction of the circuit, before straightlining between 17 and the start/finish straight, because it improves the opportunities at 12 and 6. It also creates an opportunity at 17 that wasn't there at 1, whilst still retaining it's technical nature.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2476218)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like the overall shape. Some bits remind me of Mexico City or the old Fuji banking.

I would extend the lap length to something like 2.75 miles. This will lengthen all the various straights, which will help overtaking, especially with more powerful equipment. Also, this will make Turn 1 quick, but still require the cars to slow. In addition, Turns 13-15 will be more the "kinks" that you described.

And no, the first turn on a circuit does not have to be slow (Turn 1 at Eastern Creek anyone?). I think that there is potential there for some good duels through Turn 1 on down to Turn 4.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2476254)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll make my usual pitlane quibble and suggest that it be placed on the inside.
Pit entry would be straight on at 18, with the pit exit on the straight before T1.

I can see Tathrim's point about reversing the direction as well, I agree that removing 18 and having T17 as the new T1 works well, as does overtaking at T12.
But more than that, the run downhill as it would be through the changing radius T3,2 would make the exit of T1 onto the straight very tricky with anything off line onto the straight being much slower than the perfect line, and therefore either a slipstream overtake down the straight, or under braking into T17.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2476259)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I get the impression that it's quite American, much like the modern American tracks like Miller and MSR Houston. So it should fit in well near San Diego
Old 6 Jun 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2476566)   #6
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Well, I am quite American myself lol.

If I was to flip the track around and take out 18, the front straight would be around 800m. I also thought about eliminating T8 (in either layout) to create a second long straight.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 04:37 (Ref:2477392)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only want this thing in my backyard

T6 being 25m radius, this thing is fairly roomy, very bike friendly, I see passing everywhere and if you manage to connect all the turns and establish a flow, this thing will have me on the edge of the tire for a very long time
Old 8 Jun 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2477803)   #8
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
What is everyone's thoughts on having the pit straight NOT being the starting straight? I've got a track right now where my intended starting straight, and how I built the track to flow, isn't long enough for a full pit.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2477823)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It really depends on the layout, and what you envisage actually racing on it.

If it's rolling starts then not too much of a problem, but it its standing starts then ideally the pits would be just the other side of the wall from the grid.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2478096)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on having the pit straight NOT being the starting straight? I've got a track right now where my intended starting straight, and how I built the track to flow, isn't long enough for a full pit.
I don't see any problem if you tap the circuit at the hairpin, it's where they are going the slowest and pretty easy to just keep left a little bit instead of turning, I'd make it straight and the return lane just after the chicane,

Old 9 Jun 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2478404)   #11
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
This wasn't actually the track I was talking about. I'll post the track I'm refering to tomorrow, for your thoughts.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 04:36 (Ref:2739176)   #12
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
So I am going to drag this from the depths to post a new track of mine.

This is called Sakhalin Raceway and my inspiration comes from Fuji. (Hence the use of a Japanese/Russian island in the area for the name).

The track comes in at just over 4km long, and is a deceptively simple design. There are only 7 turns, with a 5/2 split between left and right. The most unique aspect is that the pit straight comes in at 1.2km, but is not the S/F straight, which obviously follows Turn 7.

So here is a quick lap (estimated speeds from the GridMotorsports Mod for rFactor. It is open-wheel with CARTish speeds): You start going uphill and come into turn one at around 180mph. Turn One is taken flat out and the turn has somewhat of a off-camber feel. Turn Two is a fast right hand sweeper that you enter at about 170 and exit around 150mph. Turns 2&3 are almost like a large double apex, as you never really stop turning. Turn 3 has to be taken perfectly at about 145mph, with the short acceleration and braking into the sharp Turn 4. Turn 4 is taken at about 50mph and coming out leads onto a straight which brings you back to almost 170. The straight has a rise out of 4, but half way starts a decent from this high point. Turn 5 is the most difficult on the track as you have to break from 170mph down to around 90mph, but the apex is deceivingly sharp. Take an incorrect line, and you will easily go shooting off the track. From 5 it is a flat out run through 6 and onto the long Pit Straight. The pit straight has two elevation drops, one of about 10m over 200m, and the other is about 5m over 200m. These straddle the flat section where pit road actually is. The car maxes at around 195mph (although a lower wing/faster car could easily break 200mph) before coming into the flat 180° Turn 7. As you come through 7, the track begins to widen to come onto the S/F straight, and therefore makes it difficult to judge the correct apex and line. It is a tricky bugger.

Any comments on the layout? I really enjoy driving it and it really kind of epitomizes my style. Simple and Fast, yet still technical.
Attached Thumbnails
Sakhalin.png  
Old 2 Dec 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2798675)   #13
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
So before I post another track, I'll go ahead and bump this with the last track I posted. Comments?
Old 2 Dec 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2798687)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Don't see why the pits have to be on different straight to the startline. Either moving the pits or moving the startline would work perfectly fine.

I do have to say though that is a long main straight for a relatively short track. If you put the pits on the Startline straight, then there is the options to break up the long straight into something club racers and their engines will find more manageable.
Possibilities include...
A conventional chicane perhaps one third of the way along, giving a 700m run into the hairpin.
A conventional chicane two thirds of the way along creating an Abu Dhabi type situation only with a slightly longer run into the hairpin.
A Bus stop type chicane pretty much where you have the pits drawn.
Final option would be something of a Motorland Aragon type bus stop.

As I was typing that last option I realised that there is a bit of a resemblance to Aragon in the design.
Old 2 Dec 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2798695)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a nice little track that looks and probably feels pleasant.

Just to amend SBF'S advice, what about placing optional sections for the long straight? That way both the original long straight could stay, but there would also be a more technical option.

bio
Old 2 Dec 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2798822)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I'd move the pits to the start straight and put an extra bend in at the start of the main straight, a bit like your turn 8 in the earlier track. 1.2 km is real long. 800-900metres is long enough for a 2.5 mile track.
You could consider turn 6 becomming a left right left sweeper, rejoining the existing straight further along. I'd move your start line closer to the last corner for a better run into turn one.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2802779)   #17
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4188853

While this doesn't necessarily qualify as a track of my own, I'd thought I'd post a link to what I'd call is a super-Nurburgring. It is essentially a Tahoering. Enjoy.

It surrounds Lake Tahoe, and has some very interesting sections. Around mile 9-10 is a very tight and twisty section, and I'd classify it as one of my favorite parts of the track.