Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2000, 21:57 (Ref:1642)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One!
Formula One in 2000!
What is it that makes me watch every race of the season, even if I have to get up in the middle of the night?

Is it the one and a half hour procession of cars driving around circuits that are no longer suited for todays racing standards?
Is it the inability for a faster car to overtake a slower car because of the way they are designed?
Why do I burst out in cheers when a driver does manage to pass another driver?
And isn't it pathetic when this happens only once in a race, I talk about this with other fans the next morning?
"Hey, did you see driver X overtake driver Y at Z-corner?"
"Yeah, wasn't that GREAT!"

No, it isn't! There should be so much overtaking that only the truly fantastic manoeuvers should be worth talking about.
But today I think it's GREAT when one driver passes another driver only once during a race.

Is it because of the drivers I watch Formula One?
Are they really that good or are they merely passengers in a computer controlled car?
Traction control, speed limiters (the most pathetic thing on a race car), drive-by-wire etc.
Are these really racing cars? Sometimes I get the impression they could send it around a circuit even without a driver in it.
Remote controlled!

Is it because of the exciting way the tracks are build?
Do I really want to see 2 or 3 chicanes in every circuit?
Why are they there anyway?
To slow down the cars, you say?
Isn't racing all about going fast, not slowing down.
Ah, it must be about safety, then.
But racing has never been safe and it never will. Racing and danger are two words that should always be in the same sentence.
Just ask Sir Stirling.

Am I watching because of the fantastic TV coverage?
Well, actually I am in a situation that I don't have anything to complain about, watching it on digital.
But isn't it true that many of us have to deal with delayed coverage, especially the free practice and qualifying sessions?
If you get to see them at all.
And if you're watching it on terrestrial TV, aren't you fed up with watching a lonely Mclaren or Ferrari who's 8 seconds in front of everybody else, while there are much more interesting duels going on at the back of the field?

How come I am hoping for rain for nearly every Grand Prix in the hope it might turn into a spectacle?

Isn't it time I should do something about this what we call Formula One but actually has turned into a farce.
Isn't it time I should tell Bernie Ecclestone to stop counting his money and instead start listening to the fans.
We all know how to make races more interesting.
Slicks and less downforce are two things to start with.
Isn't it time I tell Bernie and Max not to treat me (and you) as a moron.

Problem is, will they listen? To me that is.
I don't think so.
But would they listen to us? All of us!

To sum it all up, I really don't know why I'm still watching Formula One.
But I do!
Can anybody tell me why?

And should I start putting Bernie and Max under pressure?
Shouldn't we all do that?
Old 10 May 2000, 22:47 (Ref:1643)   #2
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, you just put my love affaire with F1 into words. Your right, am I really so pathetic that I actually prey for rain on ever second Sunday, do I really have to awake at 4 am, to watch 22 cars follow each other on the same exact line. I don't know why but I'm willing to do all this.
Old 10 May 2000, 23:01 (Ref:1644)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Bloody Here, Gerard!!!

When I was typing the questions about car regulations, I thought to myself, I bet this stirs a few minds, makes more people realize that what we watch today is a really poor excuse for the racing of yesteryear.

Yes we all know how to change the racing for the better, but Bernie and Max seem content to reduce the spectacle to a procession, and will do so as long as the money rolls in.
Unfortunately, F1 is big business now, the monies involved are astronomical and, as long as 'wealthy enthusiasts' pile through those gates every other saturday, then nothing will change. Unless of course someone else gets hurt, and the political correctness machine will swing into action, and they'll add more 'safety'.

I beleive the drivers know what they're up to when they climb into the car. They know what could happen, as they've all been exposed to the recent loss of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger. But still they race on.
I don't think they're driving along thinking; "Well at least these lovely grooves will stop me hurting myself, and now the cars are narrower, I should be able to dive out of the way of trouble"

The decision to change the rules has to be suggested, and then unanimously agreed by all teams. All the teams know what is needed to return to the 'Glory Days', but will not, as they've invested millions in ways of circumventing todays regulations. As long as the advertisers / sponsors cough up the cash, there will be no regression to slick tyres, or tracks without chicanes.
It's very disappointing. Todays drivers are reasonably good, but they are beyond comparison with the drivers of the '40's, '50's and '60's. I honestly think that if you put a mid-field driver into a turbo car, he would run home crying to mummy.
And if you could magically place Clark, Hill Senior or Fangio into one of todays cars, he'd do one lap, pull back into the pits and say, "Can I have my old car back please.
I don't know what we can do, Gerard. It's very depressing to think what was once the sport of Gentlemen and enthusists has become a fortnightly advertising spectacle.

A motoring version of 'School Scissors' - quite sharp, but you can't quite do the job properly and there's certainly little danger involved.

Where can I buy the last forty years of Grand prix racing on video...?
Old 11 May 2000, 02:21 (Ref:1645)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have mentioned before my racing enthusiast friend in Devonshire - he is the rising-80 former headmaster who sent me Nuvolari's obituary. Tonight I got this from him:

"I've just acquired a short compilation video of events at Donington, pre-1939. I read a book about the 2 pre-war British Grand Prix at Donington which were dominated by Mercedes Auto-Union. The author mentioned this short video, which I'd never heard of. So I wrote to him, he put me in touch with the guy whose firm had produced the video about 25 years ago, and he very generously got his men to run me off a copy free of charge! It's composed of bits of amateur film, old newsreel footage, etc. but does give an idea of what it was like in the old days--very amateurish indeed! It was quite interesting to see what Donington used to be like, heavily wooded and with herds of deer wandering around the infield. Interesting too to see my boyhood heroes, Norvolari and Co. in action again."

So it is possible to recapture the Old Days even now. I will find out what book this is and all the details in case I can get a copy of that video too.

But why do I watch modern F1? (1) Because my friends do and the next day we all talk about it; (2) in case CrankyMika falls off the track and has hysterics again; (3) in case Frenzy wins; (4) to see how many laps the Prosts will do; (5) because I've got money on it.

But actually CART has better racing for 1/3 the price.
Old 11 May 2000, 07:37 (Ref:1646)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the CART race from Brazil last night...

Really makes F1 look pathetic....
Old 11 May 2000, 09:12 (Ref:1647)   #6
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the head of the FIA declares (as Max did last year) that there's plenty of action in the series, that overtaking should be something really special, there seems little hope of a solution anytime soon.

Maybe the bigger question is not why people get up in the middle of the night to watch, but why fans shell out hundreds of dollars per ticket to attend.

CART, which features real racing, has enough trouble attracting a larger audience in the States. God help F1 (after the first flush of excitement over the USGP) if it can't offer a better brand of competition.

Is there (and this is a serious question) a way to forward these posts to the FIA and Bernie? Perhaps if they shut themselves in an office (away from all the sycophants) and read the reasoned opinions of real fans, it might make some impression.

But don't ask me to hold my breath.
Old 11 May 2000, 09:24 (Ref:1648)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Here's the FIA address:

FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DE L'AUTOMOBILE
Chemin de Blandonnet, 2
CH - 1215 Genève 15

We could try writing there, but I suspect Max may use them to level up the short table leg in his office, or hang them over the little spool in the washroom (if you get my meaning)

There are other ways.

I emailed a number of magazine editors last night, mentioned Ten Tenths, and the subject we were discussing. I notice that the Atlas BB are unhappy too, so it's not just us.

I know in my heart that Max 'n' Bern know the score, but won't change for the reasons discussed above.

But it wouldn't hurt to try.

We've all got PC printing capabilities I'm sure. Why not compose a letter (Even post a copy here to take the tedium out of it, and print off 20 copies. Hand them out at work/school/bus-station/laundromat etc, and get the FIA involved in a pretty hefty mail drop.

It could be our poll next week: 'Do you beleive that petioning the FIA will have an effect?'

Heck, Gerard/Liz could even mention it in the newsletter. This could just work, Guys!
Old 11 May 2000, 10:40 (Ref:1649)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget to talk to the people for whom F1 generates business.

The sponsors, the memorabilia merchants, the modelmakers.

How long do you suppose some big name sponsor is going to keep bankrolling an F1 team if they get they get hundreds of letters telling them how much people aren't watching Grands Prix and tuning in to FedEx World Series instead?

I know that when I was young and impressionable, I actually went out of my way to find out what a "Parmalat" Brabham was promoting, or a "DeLonghi" Tyrrell.

And I know that one model manufacturer has pretty much given up on bidding for the rights to build contemporary F1 cars, and is doing very nicely with nostalgic kits of seventies machines instead.

And if the racing gets really boring, we may not carry on taping it - because the old tapes we already have will always be more captivating.

Last night, I relived the 1982 Detroit GP, and delighted again in John Watson's win from the back, including TWO passing manouvres for podium places, on ONE lap, on a STREET circuit.

Let Bernie n' Max put that in their pipe and smoke it.
Old 11 May 2000, 10:50 (Ref:1650)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've said it before - will Bernie's super-duper all angle digital coverage be viable if no one is home to watch the live coverage, but instead are supporting our local circuit and catching some real racing.

Case in point - the video timer didn't work last weekend, while I was watching F3 and GT racing at Donington. No matter, I knew the result, and I knew it wasn't a particularly great race. I half-watched the highlights when I got home.
Old 11 May 2000, 13:29 (Ref:1651)   #10
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I watch because of misplaced HOPE. Hope that they might just race this time. I have to tape the 'race' and watch later. This is has put a premium on my ff button. I end up spending about 45 minutes watching a 2hr.30min. tape! I watch the entire CART race though (I wonder why??)
It is amazing how often the cue for 'excitement' on the track usually occurs during a commercial break?!
Until the MONEY stops coming in to you know who we can't expect any changes for the better. Who killed F1? Next thing you know they'll be running on those metal jig wheels to slow 'em down!
Old 11 May 2000, 13:46 (Ref:1652)   #11
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great topic!

I come from a different perspective. I, for the most part, quit following F1 in 92-93 for a couple reasons. After attending the last few US Grands Prix in the early 90's, I became dissatisfied with the trend towards the concrete tunnels called street courses. Furthermore, F1 embargoed the US bacause CART had the audacity to race in Australia and So. America.

Just as importantly, the move of TV coverage to cable. I did not have cable, I still do not. (I go to my mother-in-law's every other Sunday )

It seemed that F1 was not interested in me, the US fan, so I returned the favor in kind.

So why now, nine years later, am I back? It is NOT for the close wheel to wheel racing, or the colorful personalities of the drivers, or the circus like atmosphere that used to surround GP events. These are all things of the past.

I have returned because 1) there is again US involvment with the sport, with the Jaguar team, which I have adopted as my own, 2) the US Indy event, and 3)an effort by some, including Ford Motor Co., to bring F1 to the large motorsport fan base here.

Also, I find that the intriguing part of F1 is not the individual races, but the larger picture of the development of the teams over the course of a season, and several seasons. It's fun to watch how everyone is suprised at Williams success, and the frustration for Arrows, Jag, Jordan etc. It will also be fun to see if Ferrari really does have a lock on winning the whole enchilada, or can the Macs catch them?

F1 brings a "team" element to the sport that even CART does not.

I take a longer view, and look at the whole season; therefore my expectations for entertaining races aren't as high, and I'm rarely dissapointed.

There is still something to be said for a series where all competitors must build their own machines. This is why I forgive those that call a 20 second interval between 1st and 2nd a "close" race. I am still fascinated by the challenge of designing a racecar from a clean sheet of paper.

Last but not least, the internet and forums such as 10/10ths. How else could I have met such a great, diverse, whacky bunch of goofballs from all over the world with nothing in common but a fascination for what I still begrudgingly admit is the "pinnacle of motorsport"?

Oh yes, you used to be able to meet them at Watkins Glen, Mosport Park, Brands Hatch etc, now they are all either locked up in corporate suites or watching from home, (except for the Brazilians and tifosi, of course.)
Old 11 May 2000, 14:25 (Ref:1653)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Neil C is right in many ways about what there is to watch and what F1 holds more many fans. But also, f1 could use some new direction to help bring back racing. Teams like Minardi with no budget, and Prost with seemingly no guidance will always fall prey to the organized and well funded Mclaren and Ferrari Teams out there. But, there is no excuse for the lack of pure racing that goes on in F1 these days. Passes on the track occur as frequently as they do in World Rally competition.

I am not sure that a petition would ever reach the eyes and ears of the men in charge of the whole deal. I am also not sure if the top teams like McLaren and Ferrari would even want there to be that level of racing. The may have more to lose than any of us realize if suddenly they can be pased on the circuit.

Suppose Ecclestone and Mosley can be reached in this way. What's to say that they would not circle their egos and decide to show all the fans who is really in charge. Deny our requests because it is their show, their only private kingdom and no one can tell them anything. The only real way for us as the fans to effect them is to stop buying them. Boycott the GPs and the team shops and the memorabilia that supports the whole circus. Let them know why we are not going to support them any longer. Unfortunately that is as unpalatable as the races have become to the true fan

I am more than willing to draft a letter to the FIA explaining my dissatisfaction with the whole business and how fans are treated at the major venues around the world. It would be better if we could somehow get one letter or petition together to send in with the names of all interested. There must be over 2000 F1 fans when one looks at the membership logs of Ten-Tenths and Atlas combined.
Old 11 May 2000, 14:55 (Ref:1654)   #13
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put my name on such a letter.
Old 11 May 2000, 15:40 (Ref:1655)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, absolutly how I (and, I think the majority) of people feel. Likewise, I'd put my name to a letter. But one letter will do a fat lot of good. What's needed is a policy of saturation. We, the fans should ALL launch a campaign of letters, petitions, banners at tracks, whatever. The support IS out there. I won't see a sport I love strangled, starved and sanitised in this way.

Well said Gerard!

[This message has been edited by Tristan (edited 11 May 2000).]
Old 11 May 2000, 20:23 (Ref:1656)   #15
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Tristan (and with everyone else for that matter). A petition can easily be disregarded even if it's signed by 2000 fans. This doesn't mean we shouldn't send one.I like the "banners at tracks" idea though. It will at least draw media attention which is already better than quiet frustration. Unfortunately, being a poor student, I'll not attend any GP this year. I'd definitely support a petition though and/or send a letter to the FIA...
Old 11 May 2000, 20:48 (Ref:1657)   #16
DNF
Rookie

DNF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that if I (or any one of you) were in a position of power something drastic would be done about the state of F1. I agree. Something needs to be done.

If we all put our name to a letter as suggested by KC it still is only 2000 out of how many millions of F1 fans.We are only one forum. We need to spread this message. Address other forums and ask them what can we do???

Alone we will be ignored, but in numbers people have to listen.
Old 12 May 2000, 01:54 (Ref:1658)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If somebody will write this up and include either a proposed letter, a petition or suggestions on how to approach the FIA, and include the address and send it to my email, I will put it in the newsletter. Lots more people get that than come and play here, and they pass it around to their friends too. How about it, KC or Gerard or Tristan or NeilC or anybody?

If there's a CART race in your city, you might consider printing up handbills with a mail-in component and handing them out, if they will let you - or just casually leaving them around if they won't ...
Old 12 May 2000, 10:28 (Ref:1659)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I also watched the CART race a couple of days ago. It was fun, a lot of overtaking, but when a couple of my friends wanted to switch to Valencia Barcelona soccer game, I haven't protested. (Try to do this on certain sundays...) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Neil C
F1 brings a "team" element to the sport that even CART does not.

I take a longer view, and look at the whole season; therefore my expectations for entertaining races aren't as high, and I'm rarely disappointed. There is still something to be said for a series where all competitors must build their own machines. This is why I forgive those that call a 20 second interval between 1st and 2nd a "close" race. I am still fascinated by the challenge of designing a racecar from a clean sheet of paper.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's the main reason I do love Formula one. (You'll gonna like this one...) Not only that I like pit-stop strategies, but I also agree with team orders!!!

Maybe the differences between teams (I mean budget) are huge and Minardi and Arrows have subscription to the last lines on grid. But how let's say banning refueling will change this? Formula one has became a very expensive game and you cannot revert this. (By the way, I heard a rumor like Minardi Volkswagen/Audi... Pity, I would prefer Minardi Ferrari) And I don't think that Sauber has a very small budget, neither BAR.

In my opinion, to bring back to life some old technologies (i.e. steel brakes) in an attempt to revive old glory days will do no good to Formula 1. Formula 1 means driver + car(high and expensive technology) + team, I’m not sure in what order.

I agree that F1 could be a lot more fun (although I do like it very much in this way). But I have no idea what to do (and so what if I would?) Neither Mr. Maximillian nor Mr. Bernard. You want to send a letter to FIA. Nice idea, put my name also on it. But what should we write? To tell them we (not me, actually) don't like the lack of overtaking? Guys, I think they already know that! Just you wait until Indianapolis where the Americans are used with CART and NASCAR and they will see a Formula 1 procession... What do you think is Mr. Bernie's biggest fear? Less fun =&gt; less interest =&gt; less spectators (tickets + TV viewers) =&gt; less money coming from advertising and TV rights. Do you think they sleep well? Nah, they are trying their best to do something.

Instead, why not sending letters to teams, telling them to impose their point of view when FIA announces some regulation changes? And to GPDA? The problem is that if FIA decides to ban something (10V limit comes to my mind), only a couple of teams will fight against the decision, while the other, not prepared for that, will hail the new regulation.

Looking forward to the next (anything but) boring Formula 1 race!
Red

PS: Jeez, all-weather tyres from 2001? It’s a sure thing?
Old 12 May 2000, 10:40 (Ref:1660)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Not sure I agree with you, Red,

But it's sure good to see you back!
Old 12 May 2000, 18:55 (Ref:1661)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, not sure if I agree either, at least not with ALL your points. But, still, with a sell out at this year's USGP, it'll be interesting to see what the sales are like NEXT year, by now the yanks having tasted the "thrills and spills of the F1 circus" in it's present form.

In truth, I'm only really posting this message to keep this topic at the top of the page, where it belongs. (Minardi fan, where are you?!) THIS ISSUE'S IMPORTANT, and something CAN be done. I appreciate F1 is NOT as dull as ditch-water; YET! I DO believe the regulations at present and the over-dependance on aero-grip is stifling the sport at present and I don't like 'em! I ALSO stronly believe the grid is not as big as it should be. Need more teams, more interest, more competion. Besides, when I make my billions (arf arf!) they'll be one more team on the grid for starters!!!
Old 12 May 2000, 23:26 (Ref:1662)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Good idea to write and email to the teams rather than to BernieNMax - they are the ones we care about anyway. Especially if you support someone other than the top two - and your team has a good talker at the top - Arrows, Jordan and BAR come to mind, possibly Minardi, maybe BMW... Tell them you buy their gear and support their race and hope that the thrill can be put back in for teams other than Those Two, and see what you hear back.
Old 12 May 2000, 23:56 (Ref:1663)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
This was in yesterday's Autosport.

"Here's a copy of a letter I'm going to send to Max Mosley

"Dear Max,

You need to reduce downforce by 70%. You need to have slick tyres, wider than they currently run. And you need to do it before next year, before F3 becomes bigger than F1.

Best wishes
From the last good-looking Ferrari World Champion!""

That was written by Jody Scheckter in his column. If you can, check it out. I'm not fibbing. Autosport May 11 2000, page 37.

He also says "Formula 1 is becoming a bit of a joke with the only real racing from the start to the first corner and for the few laps when other cars are in the pits."

Ladies and gentlemen, it is good to know we have friends in high places.
Old 13 May 2000, 00:31 (Ref:1664)   #23
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC wrote":
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am more than willing to draft a letter to the FIA explaining my dissatisfaction with the whole business and how fans are treated at the major venues around the world. It would be better if we could somehow get one letter or petition together to send in with the names of all interested. There must be over 2000 F1 fans when one looks at the membership logs of Ten-Tenths and Atlas combined<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KC, if you still want to do this, why don't you? I'll support this all the way.

Old 13 May 2000, 00:57 (Ref:1665)   #24
Sparky
Veteran

Do you think one letter, albeit 'signed' by all of us, will have the desired effect?

Should we not produce a form letter, each download it, and print off 10 copies?

These copies, once handed out to friends and family, could be signed and sent to the authorities in Geneva, who would suffer the consequences of a major mail drop!

I'm happy to go with the flow, but we need to maximize the effect.

Let's hit 'em hard!!
Old 13 May 2000, 02:17 (Ref:1666)   #25
ror312
Rookie

ror312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars are still cool,
but I sometimes doze off while
I'm watching the races.