Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Do you want a F1 Fantasy Championship ?
Absolutely. I would love to run my fantasy team and blow away the opposition ! 18 60.00%
Can't be bothered to try it 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13 Oct 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1737300)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 predictions competitions - time for a change next season?

For the 2007 season it has been decided that the predictions competitions for F1 may well undergo a bit of a change.

It seems that the competitions are a little tired now and a particular problem, IMO, is that we have two seperate competitions which are basically not all that different from each other or exciting. And it is too much effort to enter both, quite frankly. That is my impression anyways, I could be wrong. I enter both myself, but find myself drifting off to sleep halfway through typing my entries.

For sure I think it would be best to scrap the fans competition and get down to one, very different, contest... The fans comp has had it's day sadly and can no longer provide the variety it once had, which was always going to happen eventually.

Also, running one competition carries other benefits. I will take responsibility to do the scoring for it and also a good prize could be provided for it say, for example, a 1/43 scale car of that seasons F1 world champion or something else nice.

But we need ideas for this competition. I am going to give it some heavy consideration over the coming months and hope to get it finalised for February. But I would really like some ideas from you folks....should we go for something all new and that hasn't been done before? Take inspiration from other comps that run on this site?

Feel free to PM or post your thoughts here (complex or simple) and let's see what we can do!

*If there are no thoughts or ideas posted I will just have to do something myself.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1738220)   #2
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back slicks and ban refuelling!

Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1745689)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I would say adopt the same game we have here on ten-tenths in the Champcar forum. A fantasy racing leauge, perhaps expand on the competition a little further though however as the series isnt a 1 make series. Or better yet, leave things as they are! IMO.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:58 (Ref:1746322)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rather than just the top 8 and pole. Make it the top 6 and pole.

How about a regular question regarding ....

Which lap is the fastest lap of the race done on...2 pts for correct... If no one guesses correctly then 1 point for nearest either above or below. Obviously more than one person can get the point or points on offer.

Similarly a guess for which lap the pole sitter makes his first pit stop..same points as above.

These suggestions would take the points available to 17. A couple of other questions to make each prediction out of a possible 20
Old 24 Oct 2006, 00:23 (Ref:1746923)   #5
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Personally I would say adopt the same game we have here on ten-tenths in the Champcar forum. A fantasy racing leauge, perhaps expand on the competition a little further though however as the series isnt a 1 make series. Or better yet, leave things as they are! IMO.
Personally I don't think a fantasy racing league would work very well with F1. The points don't go down far enough, and it's normally the same few guys getting the bulk of the points. All you'd have to do is pick one of the main title challengers and your home and hosed... unless you mess with the scoring system (MotoGP-style).
Other than that I'd say stay with the pickems/predictions style comp.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1748169)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
try to break entrance records for each round like in 05....it always gave me a buzz... ....
Old 24 Oct 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1748198)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about a tie breaker for individual rounds. I always liked the what will pole time (or FL, or race time) be? Closest person wins. You could even add them all up to get the tie-breaker for the whole season.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1751844)   #8
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changes to Pick'em Competition

I have been thinking about this for some months now, and offer the following observations:

For me, merging the two games would really spoil Pick'ems. I have almost no interest in the Fans' Competition, but picking the Polesitter and the eight points scorers in order, for some reason, I find both interesting and amusing. It really hightens my interest in the races to have a list of drivers and cars to cheer on instead of just my favorite. Surprises on the last few laps have both gained and lost me points me points often enough that I now watch all the races all the way through even if TGF has a full minute lead towards the end. Playing the Fans' Game - for me - is like buying lottery tickets which I never do. The Pick'ems game on the other hand helps maintain my interest through qualifying and the whole race which given the FIA's incessant fiddling with the rules and equipment, has been getting harder to do. Then there are always the big shakeups like the scarlet genade at Suzuka when the players' relative standings can be affected in a flash. Anyway, I strongly support the present game format.

The scoring is another matter. After scoring several races this year I know that that job can be made easier - with some cooperation from the players - and I also believe we should try some changes to pep up the scoring. (1) Make the Pole pick worth 2 points instead of one. (2) Picking a car and driver in their correct podium position should be worth 3 points instead of 2. Scoring for the other five points paying positions stays the same.

As to helping out the scorer, the best of all worlds would be to automate the entries and the math. I just don't know enough about how these message boards are programmed to get much more specific, but someone in Ten Tenths might take a look at the idea. A standard entry form that forces the players to put their picks in a standard format should pave the way for some simple formulae to calculate the results once the final order of finish is input to the system. This would go a long way toward eliminating those embarrassing errors that plague the scorers as they fool around with their spreadsheets.

Anyway, it was a good season gamewise and I hope - if Alonzo doesn't dominate as Michael did for so many seasons - that next year will bring more drivers forward as serious competitors.

I would be happy to do some or all of the scoring for another year in any event.

Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1751909)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the suggestions so far folks. Keep them coming!

Maxmil, fear not. The competitions will not be merged and the basic element of picking positions will remain in there, whatever form that may be. I believe there is scope for throwing in the odd question like Adam and SBF have suggested

The scoring sytem idea is good, but will that lead to a less tight competiton perhaps? It is nice to go into the last rounds with several in contention. I suppose, really, it won't make any difference though, unless the season is truly unpredictable.

ralf fan, you are being naughty again.

As far as a fantasy league is concerned, it is somewhat difficult. How to work it for F1? It is worth looking into I suppose, but the problem is that would have to be a seperate competition and ideally it'd be nice to just have the one.

Also, does anyone think that perhaps there needs to be more awareness of the competitions? Are some people perhaps unaware of the predictions sub-forum or find it easy to forget about it? Maybe this is a problem.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1752014)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes knowlesy i was going to suggest this....
maybe you could put the entrance thread as a hot topic in the main forum until the deadline and then move it. That way if any new members want to join it is much easier.
The number of entries and enthusiasm has dropped considerably since the sub forum was made and maybe that is problem.
Maybe even post the results thread as a hot topic for a while as well..... I remember we used to get some great banter in.....especially regarding Peter's scores
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1770075)   #11
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 Fantasy Championship for 2007?

Hey everyone, I was wondering, how would you ladies and gents think about having a Fantasy Championship for next year? Because I think they bring some fun to the threads. So, what to you guys and girls think?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1770460)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep if it runs i'm in if it runs.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1770749)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Count me in too.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1770822)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is something that had already been done at some point, but it never really worked.
If there are people enough interested in participating then maybe we could arrange something in the sub-forum.

So... moving...
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1771156)   #15
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What I'm saying is like have one that is similar to the ones in the V8, Moto GP and Champ Car thread.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1771320)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, Greg, we know that... read Knowlesy's first post here.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1772175)   #17
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Predictions Competition- And you get points for guessing any of the top 8 places, tyre brand and... Engine type?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Nov 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1772232)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Predictions Competition- And you get points for guessing any of the top 8 places, tyre brand and... Engine type?
Read this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
We'll again be having our annual prediction competition!

The RULES:

Choose the top eight finishers in the Grand Prix, plus the Pole Position.

2 Points will be awarded for each driver in the correctly predicted place and 1 point shall be awarded for a chosen driver in the top eight in a position other than that predicted.

1 Point shall be awarded for Pole.

You can enter all the rounds or just a few to go for race wins.

How to enter:

On the Friday before each race, a results prediction thread will appear in this forum. Post your predictions in there!

The deadline for posting predictions will, for each race weekend, be the at the start of first free practice.

The final FIA classifications will count, so if they have to go to court for a decision we shall wait, or change the results! If something odd really happens and there is a dispute then the 10 Tenths' judges decision is final.

If two or more users are tied on points from all the rounds, the winner will be the one with the best predictions for the final standings for the whole season. If that results in a tie, the winner will be the one with the highest number of points in one single round. If that still results in a tie, the winner will be the one with the second highest number of points in one single round, etc. If everything remains equal after this, those who are tied will share the victory.

Anyone who is a member of Ten Tenths can enter, and at any point during the season. However, delaying your entry until Suzuka will reduce your chances of winning the Competition, but race wins will still be achievable.

The prize for winning is Glory and the knowledge that you are smarter than the rest of us.

So, first things first, we need you to post your predictions for the finishing order and team (used as the tiebreaker mentioned above):
Please use this format:
driver1 : enter your choice for 1st place in WDC
driver2 : enter your choice for 2nd place in WDC
driver3 : enter your choice for 3rd place in WDC
driver4 : enter your choice for 4th place in WDC
driver5 : enter your choice for 5th place in WDC
driver6 : enter your choice for 6th place in WDC
driver7 : enter your choice for 7th place in WDC
driver8 : enter your choice for 8th place in WDC
team1 : enter your choice for 1st place in WCC
team2 : enter your choice for 2nd place in WCC
team3 : enter your choice for 3rd place in WCC
team4 : enter your choice for 4th place in WCC
team5 : enter your choice for 5th place in WCC
team6 : enter your choice for 6th place in WCC
team7 : enter your choice for 7th place in WCC
team8 : enter your choice for 8th place in WCC

The deadline for this tiebreaker entry is at the start of the first free practice for Bahrain. Don't delay!
Good luck
The F1 mod team.

Kindly brought back to you from the first thread of the competition
Old 22 Nov 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1772274)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I suggest a more radical innovation?

How about a match-race style fantasy league?

Entrants are divided into pairs on a casual basis; for each round I have to compare my results with those of my foe.
The one of the two who scores more points is the winner, taking, say, 3 pts.
If they get the same results, then one point for both.
The right predicitons are still considered like goals in football.
At the end of the season, should some entrants have the same points, the one who scored the most predictions is the winner

In case of an odd total number of entrants, there'll be a 3-entrant match, with a similar point system: 3-0-0, or 1.5-1.5-0, or 1-1-1 depending on their respective results.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1772317)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
How about having 2 competitions? A regular predictions competition as per usual and a Fantasy leauge like we have in the Champcar forum. That way those of us who dont neccarcily want to enter the propsed fantasy leauge can still take part in the traditional predictions competition.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1772404)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If one of you can guarantee a fantasy league that sounds good, will work, will be run properly with dedication and not just left alone from boredom, and will not spawn endless livery threads then go for it.

However, if it is half hearted there is no point whatsoever.

climb has made a suggestion I see (and it seems pretty good, although overheats my tiny brain!), so let's see what else we can come up with.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1772427)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yeah, good call from Climb.

A fantasy league, for a start, would only be feasible if there are enough people willing to participate.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1772441)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

OK, guys, now you have the option to vote if you want to participate in a fantasy competition.

Remember that your vote is public, so be sure you really will be in for a fight !
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1772571)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I much prefer a predictions game. Fantasy games are all about getting the best drivers. The teams that can't afford good drivers are buggered.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1772576)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Who said anything about having a fantasy game over a predictions competition? I thought we are going to have both?!