Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Apr 2002, 19:07 (Ref:262415)   #1
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Festival of speed

I was wondering how much this event costs to go to.

Also how many people are thinking of going this year?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 20:47 (Ref:262501)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What dates?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 21:47 (Ref:262555)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://64.225.195.108/booking/tickets/tickets_motor.asp

I'm hoping to attend all three days.

Bob Marley
Old 18 Apr 2002, 15:44 (Ref:264074)   #4
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please tell me where Goodwood is located and how you get there from London. I hope to one day go there to see all the cars I used to photograph when they where new.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 15:49 (Ref:264076)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 60 miles SW of London.Train fron Victoria to Chichester,where a bus will take you to the gates.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 11:52 (Ref:274244)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
have a look at www.goodwood.co.uk

Id recommend the revival meeting over the festival of speed
Old 30 Apr 2002, 17:10 (Ref:274528)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends whether you prefer to see the cars racing.Both events are excellent value for money.It may have changed,but when I went to the revival meeting in 1998,there were no shops or stalls.So if you are looking for old books,etc,even a film for your camera,you were out of luck.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 22:09 (Ref:274909)   #8
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been to the Revival, but I've attended the last two Festivals. You can get within touching distance of (and usually touch!) everything but the newest F1 machinery, walk around the paddocks, meet the drivers (famous and not so famous) and just generally drink in the atmosphere ... aah, is that Castrol R I can smell? There are plenty of bookstalls etc, manufacturers stands, the works.

Last edited by Vitesse; 30 Apr 2002 at 22:11.

Bob Marley
Old 1 May 2002, 08:28 (Ref:275168)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the first revival was 98, it has plenty of stalls and stands now, probably as many as the festival of speed, they even have a'retro' village with old garages etc.

you can get close to all the cars, and talk to drivers etc as well, they do however keep the poshest cars in a restricted access paddock, but from experience most of the real people are outside there anyway, drivers will be around everywhere, and are usually pretty friendly.

Im not being paid to advertise the show!
Old 1 May 2002, 08:40 (Ref:275179)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that the Revival probably just has the edge as racing is more interesting to watch than hillclimb, but certainly the number of stalls dealing in parts etc is more at Festival, but if that is the criteria maybe the autojumbles are better still!! There is no doubt that Goodwood has captured the spirit of the whole historic scene and if the numerous other festivals want to see more spectators they would be wise to look and learn, certainly moving the Historic to Oulton From Silverstone might not help open it up to more spectators!
Old 1 May 2002, 08:53 (Ref:275187)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Simon, I agree, my only concern with Goodwood, is its in danger of becoming a victim of its own success, there are hardly any owner/drivers left, its getting very exclusive/rich, I went to Thruxton last month, saw and met open friendly people which really inspired me to get on with my car and give it a go, I couldnt help getting the feeling at Goodwood last year, that 'Id never be able to do that'
Old 1 May 2002, 09:01 (Ref:275198)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
There is no doubt that Goodwood has captured the spirit of the whole historic scene and if the numerous other festivals want to see more spectators they would be wise to look and learn, certainly moving the Historic to Oulton From Silverstone might not help open it up to more spectators!
I for one welcome the move to Oulton; where would you rather see historic cars racing - a picturesque, hilly, demanding circuit or a disused airfield?

The south shouldn't have a monopoly on such events - if anyone in the south wants to visit Oulton, I can assure you that you won't fall off the edge of the world if you travel north of Birmingham!
Old 1 May 2002, 09:18 (Ref:275236)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dave you are right for true enthusiasts Oulton Park will be more rewarding and although I have not been there yet by all accounts will look fwd to competing at the Festival, however if Octagon are after numbers thru the turnstile a well organised Festival at Silverstone would get more corporate entertaining which Goodwood do so well. Which leads into Zeferally's point abt being a victim of its own success! It is true that certain aspects of it make it more theatre than racing but overall I think it works and equally the club meetings do but on a different level. I was at the same Thruxton meeting (if it was the one with the Batmobile) and it was a great afternoon's entertainment, especially the Healeys!
Old 1 May 2002, 09:25 (Ref:275250)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The Healeys where great, sideways a go-go, and the smoking Rover, made us chuckle, but it kept on going.
I could believe, even having pre-read about it, how bloody quick Gordon Streeters Anglia was.

Ive never been to Oulton, but if its anything like old footage Ive seen it'd be a must to race at, what ever the distance to get to it. I dont think the south has a monopoly as such, although living in Shoreham-by-sea I couldnt be further south!
Old 1 May 2002, 17:59 (Ref:275757)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Just a word of warning to anyone going to the Festival of Speed, you can only gain entry on the Sunday (the weekend after the British GP) by advance ticket purchase. They do NOT sell tickets at the gate for the Sunday so buy early to avoid disappointment is my advice ok?