Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Feb 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3712974)   #2351
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
I'm going to Sebring, I'm only 2 hours away.
Wow, that is a pretty radical space/time. Where I live the race isn't until March.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3713055)   #2352
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
you're wrong. Amr-One deserves that title
Nissan GT-R LM

Mic drop
Old 18 Feb 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3713059)   #2353
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Though it's off subject, the AMR-One will be the bigger fail in my view. At least one Nissan made it to the finish in '15. Both AMR-Ones completed like 6 or 8 laps between them in '11.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3713061)   #2354
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Depends how you define failure.

AMR-One completed the least distance. Both were about 20 seconds off the pace of their class. I believe the Lavaggi LS1 was so slow that even when it was the only LMP1, it still finished 10th overall and a GT car won I think.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3713062)   #2355
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The AMR-One was the bigger failure in my opinion. Nissan actually spent some time and effort to developed AFTER it's Le Mans failure, and got it JUST to the point where it was good enough(allegedly) to prove it's concept when they pulled the plug because of the need to redesign the tub in order to move any further.

Put simply, the GT-R actually had some effort put into it, even if it the results of most of said effort will never be seen. I say that puts it above the AMR-One.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 00:03 (Ref:3713065)   #2356
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well, the GTR LM will be at Le Mans this year ...in a museum http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...s-du-mans.html
Old 19 Feb 2017, 04:17 (Ref:3713091)   #2357
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
At least one Nissan made it to the finish in '15.
Well no it didn't. It happened to cross the finish line at 4pm Sunday but that doesn't really mean anything considering you could break after two laps, spend 23 hours rebuilding the car and accomplish the same thing.

On the Aston Martin they were cracking alternator pulleys so they made stronger ones for the race, but that shifted the failure to the water pump and killed both engines on the same lap, which is one of the things you can't replace. The Nissans broke roughly everything but the engine so they just kept throwing more and more parts at them to get test mileage, since they can't run at any comparable track in the US. They weren't really participating in the race even just to be classified finishers from a pretty early point.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3713098)   #2358
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Rules are rules. And under the ACO's the Nissan didn't officially finish, either, even though it crossed the line at 3PM.

Regardless, it completed more distance than either Aston did. Completing 200+ laps is greater than two cars that only ran like 6 or so between them and DNF'd within the first half hour of the race. Aston Martin Racing was probably packed up and about to leave by the time McNish ended up on his lid.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3713133)   #2359
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously? You Nissan talkers closed the Audi LMP1 thread already. Can't you take this where it belongs?!
Old 19 Feb 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3713175)   #2360
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Seriously? You Nissan talkers closed the Audi LMP1 thread already. Can't you take this where it belongs?!
Like leaving it in the past because it doesn't matter?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 19 Feb 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3713214)   #2361
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Fully agreed, we need a couple of pollution bans here.

And while you're on it mods: can you do some clear up here please?
Old 19 Feb 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3713216)   #2362
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, everything else aside, the Sebring Winter Test happens Thursday and Friday. Interesting to see what kinds of times the different cars do on that challenging circuit.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3713258)   #2363
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Well, everything else aside, the Sebring Winter Test happens Thursday and Friday. Interesting to see what kinds of times the different cars do on that challenging circuit.
It'll be interesting to see what the drivers have to say about the new Conti tires and how the new cars match up with the new tires.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3713379)   #2364
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the drivers have to say about the new Conti tires and how the new cars match up with the new tires.

At least the tires will be more equally suitable (or unsuitable) across the P class as opposed to the DP/P2 divide.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3713552)   #2365
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm hoping to this new test and leave behind Daytona race. Still don't know why IMSA changed the BoP so much before this test. I assume they recognize how bad was his job, but I think changing it before the test is another mistake, because teams should had develop their cars (specially Nissan and Mazda) since Daytona.

New circuit, new tyre (and I hope to be a better one), more developed cars, less electronic problems, different BoP, let's see how it goes.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3713562)   #2366
Maelochs
Veteran

I sincerely hope that every DPi team did a tone of testing or at least sims since Daytona.

Hate to say it but AXR (now Whelen and Mustang) and WTR were just better prepared. Don't understand why Rebellion had so much trouble at the Rolex after cruising through the tests, but it was very disappointing.

Hopefully #90's supposed high-drag bodywork will be an asset instead of a liability as well.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3713571)   #2367
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I'm hoping to this new test and leave behind Daytona race. Still don't know why IMSA changed the BoP so much before this test. I assume they recognize how bad was his job, but I think changing it before the test is another mistake, because teams should had develop their cars (specially Nissan and Mazda) since Daytona.

New circuit, new tyre (and I hope to be a better one), more developed cars, less electronic problems, different BoP, let's see how it goes.
AS stated multiple times before, Daytona is a unique track that gets it's own kind of BoP, figure the BoP set before the Sebring test to be a reset to baseline and go from there.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3713687)   #2368
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like dpi's could be an addition to lmp1 non hybrid if a team so chose after all

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...mp1-privateer/
Old 21 Feb 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3713691)   #2369
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks like dpi's could be an addition to lmp1 non hybrid if a team so chose after all

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...mp1-privateer/
Nah, more nice weather talk from the ACO. Besides with the tsunami of new LMP1 privateer entries next year, there's no need to invite DPi privateer teams....
Old 21 Feb 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3713740)   #2370
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Nah, more nice weather talk from the ACO. Besides with the tsunami of new LMP1 privateer entries next year, there's no need to invite DPi privateer teams....
Except that "tsunami" of new P1-Ls remains a discussion only ... lots of talk, lots of intentions expressed ... not a single chassis.

Until a whole bunch of cash changes hands, contracts are signed, and drawings become parts, there is only a dream of new cars, certainly not a trickle, and definitely not a flood ... and the way it has been going, I expect Ginetta to publicize every concrete step it takes. So ... I have to assume it is all virtual so far.

This has been discussed at length .. and every time I have suggested it I got crapped on. I can see why .. I tend to crap on most of what Vincent Beaumesnil says as well ...

Even if there are some new Ginettas on the grid in 2018 ... money talks, and entrants pay money. If Whelen, WTR, and Whelen want to spend the bucks to run behind Toyota and Porsche, I'd bet ACO would let them.

Also .. DPis and DPi dollars, would be bothe insurance and would strengthen the bargaining position of the ACO/FIA when dealing with potential and existing P1-H teams.

FIA/ACO could tell Porsche and Toyota, "No, we make the rules, not you, and if you want to pull out, we have a host of teams ready to step up to the new top class, P1-L .... where your factory entries will Not be welcome---so quit whining and keep paying."
Old 21 Feb 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3713742)   #2371
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Except that "tsunami" of new P1-Ls remains a discussion only ... lots of talk, lots of intentions expressed ... not a single chassis.

Until a whole bunch of cash changes hands, contracts are signed, and drawings become parts, there is only a dream of new cars, certainly not a trickle, and definitely not a flood ... and the way it has been going, I expect Ginetta to publicize every concrete step it takes. So ... I have to assume it is all virtual so far.

This has been discussed at length .. and every time I have suggested it I got crapped on. I can see why .. I tend to crap on most of what Vincent Beaumesnil says as well ...

Even if there are some new Ginettas on the grid in 2018 ... money talks, and entrants pay money. If Whelen, WTR, and Whelen want to spend the bucks to run behind Toyota and Porsche, I'd bet ACO would let them.

Also .. DPis and DPi dollars, would be bothe insurance and would strengthen the bargaining position of the ACO/FIA when dealing with potential and existing P1-H teams.

FIA/ACO could tell Porsche and Toyota, "No, we make the rules, not you, and if you want to pull out, we have a host of teams ready to step up to the new top class, P1-L .... where your factory entries will Not be welcome---so quit whining and keep paying."
Which is why he capped the post with a rolling eyes emoji...
Old 21 Feb 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3713785)   #2372
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Which is why he capped the post with a rolling eyes emoji...
We older folks have trouble deciphering these new-fangled symbols you young'uns keep inventing.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3713814)   #2373
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The French say, “plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.” Sounds romantic. But all it means is the more things change the more they stay the same.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3713825)   #2374
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's like some don't read the entire article or if they did, it was misinterpreted. The guy said it's not hard to get a dpi car up to p1 specs. I took that to mean it's somewhat possible but with certain conditions. The main thing is the manufacturer branding/backing. The fantasy of seeing dpi as the main class at Le Mans remains just that. I would like to see it, but not based on the bop formula imsa has. Fuel flow and minimum weight imo the fairest way for everyone to see what they're car can do.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3713848)   #2375
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The guy said it's not hard to get a dpi car up to p1 specs. I took that to mean it's somewhat possible but with certain conditions. The main thing is the manufacturer branding/backing. The fantasy of seeing dpi as the main class at Le Mans remains just that.
I thought it was pretty clear he was saying that a DPi could become a P1-L pretty easily. Which just happens to be the same thing i am saying ... so I guess I must be wrong, if Beauamsnil is on the same page you know it has to be a page in a fantasy novel that should never have been published.

But ... what he said is that the cars need a bit more power and to lose the manufacturer support---not really branding (after all, a P2 Oreca can say "Oreca" on it) ... but i don't see why Cadillac couldn't send engine techs---

Maybe that is what they have to work out, to make sure the manufacturers only supply limited support and in limited quantities ... but I am sure AER sends techs, or at least fire extinguisher operators, to the P1-L teams.