Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1288828)   #1
molydood
Rookie

molydood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for a track car....

Hi,

just wondering where the best place to search for a track car would be?
I don't have anything specific in mind right now, but I'm sure there must be a classified section for this sort of thing.
pistonheads.com has a few on there, but are there any other places, for instance a forum like this would be perfect.
or is the normal route to modify it yourself? seems like a more expensive way of doing it though

thanks,
Martin
Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1289996)   #2
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track car! Mmmmmmm!

Hello Mart.
In January I went through the same thought processes and now I've done my first track day so if you plan well it shouldn't take too long to get there.

These forums are excellent for gettin little jems. Juicy little jems!

PLAN
Set your budget first. Then look at as many different types of car that you feel are "trackerble" (did i just invent a new word?) remember "little jems".

We shopped for ages and then found a flooker! more l8tr

Think road legal or not!

"NOT" is the best option for improving your car however it does have some drawbacks. You can't easily test any works or repairs that have been completed on the car. You have to trailer everywhere (trailer cost £40-£70 a day hire or around £700-£1700 to buy. Then you need a tow car and bar)

Road legal is easier. RWYB. However you may find drawbacks there too. Drive it there - break sommit - get it home! listen to me, it all sounds doom n gloom. Not the case my friend.

We looked everywhere. "ebay - autotrader - circuit driver mag - BMW car mag - Pug gti mags - golf gti mags - front or rear mags. All over.

We looked at loads and decided to buy road legal and convert to track and trailer.

Got a Mk2 Golf GTI 16 valver 1989 in v good nick. 135k road miles no smoke or mechanicals and very little rust or damage (.2% rust). £475 private flooky buy. German reliabilty over pure vision of Alfa or BMW (nearer to Austria)

Stripped and fitted 4 months later. All DIY, All bits and parts sourced second hand. Doner cars mainly "ebay" Bought an ex golf gti tracker from up north for £175. It yeilded £2000 worth of bits in reality. "Be wise! grasshopper"

Total cost to date, still needs a roll cage, suspension and bushes improving (£1000) but has had - full service, all belts changed, plugs, oil and flush, brakes and rollers, racing seats, harnesses x2, s/s exhaust, four spare 15 inchers, fire extinguishers, bonnet pins, etc, All for just £???
£1.200 so even with the bits still required it should only hit £2.200

My mate bought a track ready 8 valver (vernier pulley, kent cams, roll cage, drilled the works, very nice car, trailer required!) £1500 from cambs. "ebay"
NOT BEEN USED YET BUT LOOKS AS THOUGH IT SHOULD COPE

You decide. Or alternatively get yourself an ATOM 2 and blow out the cobwebs

Hope this is of help.

Poots
Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1290064)   #3
molydood
Rookie

molydood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poots... brilliant, thanks for the answer my friend, very useful. Maybe I should just buy your valver, and then you can have all that fun again, I know you like it :-)

would love an atom2 :-)))))

let me know when you conclude your project, would like to see how it turns out. If you have any pics I would be interested to see them.

Mart
Old 15 May 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1301286)   #4
tubthumped
Rookie

US Virgin Islands
On the edge......
tubthumped should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Golf's go well too....
MK2 Golf GTI | 2.0 16v | Lightened flywheel | Dave Crisell flowed head | SEAT ABF cams | Flowed throttle body | 183bhp | Helix 4 padel clutch | Helix motorsport Group N pressure plate | Quaife ATB | VW Motorsport 3.94 Final Drive | Hotgolf built gearbox | Spax coilovers | Eibach ARB's | Poly Bushed | Compomotive MO's | Michelin Slicks | 280 brakes | Ferrodo DS3000 pads | Safety Devices roll-cage | OMP Bucket seats
Old 24 May 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1309393)   #5
craig hope
Racer

England
near darlington
craig hope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go for a caterham type and when you get hooked you can enter sprints with it...also very fast for track but good for roads aswell.....some are cheap insurance for road use so great in summer