Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 May 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3824581)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That yellow earth lead...

The MSA Regs say, "J. 5.14.5. Have the battery earth lead, if not readily
distinguishable, identified by a yellow marking."

I've been told that this was so that a marshal with a bolt cutter could disable the battery quickly. That need was made redundant by the FIA cut-out switch that is now mandatory, but is still there.

Does anyone know when the yellow earth lead regulation fiirst came in? Is this the oldest regulation of them all?

John
Old 26 May 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3824830)   #2
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was in the Blue Book in 1991 when I started hill climbing.
Old 27 May 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3824921)   #3
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was in the blue book when I started in 1970. We always had a master switch, but when it's turned off the cable from battery to switch is still live.
But don't remember an one having the earth lead cut by the marshals.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 27 May 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3824965)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you, 911thillclimber and Unit 2 Racing (John)!
That takes it back to 1970, but John recalls a 'master switch' as well.

So another Q is, when was a cut-out/master switch in the main live battery lead made mandatory? Before 1970, I presume?

The Blue Book is a mish-mash of old and new regs, which an evolving body of rules will and should be, not letters writ on stone. I just wonder if this one is a fossil, introduced before living memory, and never repealed, when the Cut-out (save for John's point on the battery-to-switch cable still being live) makes the bolt-cutters redundant.
I don't think that marshal's posts carry bolt-cutters, but Rescue Units do.
John
Old 27 May 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3824998)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I raced a Special Saloon until the end of the 1970 season, and we were not required to have an external cut-out switch, or a yellow earth lead.
Old 27 May 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3825001)   #6
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
So another Q is, when was a cut-out/master switch in the main live battery lead made mandatory? Before 1970, I presume?
Doesn't have to be in the main live lead. All the electronic versions (Cartek etc) cut the earth not the live.
Old 27 May 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3825100)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Late 70s when I started, we didn't need a cut out switch (speed events) but did have to have a yellow earth lead.

Looks like it's a "legacy law".

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3825216)   #8
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I raced a Special Saloon until the end of the 1970 season, and we were not required to have an external cut-out switch, or a yellow earth lead.
The requirement for external cutout came out in 72 or 73.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3825222)   #9
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I started hillclimbing in 1991 in a road going car, only the yellow tape on the earth was required. Cut-out switch was required for 'non road spec race cars' (I think)
These rules stick because they are still relevant.
The Blue Book is a 'masterpiece'
Old 29 May 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3825504)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ISTR that if the earth lead was obvious (a braided lead) there was no need for yellow marking.

I suppose even today if the cut off switch is mangled or inaccessible then bolt croppers through the earth will do the job.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk