Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Mar 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2416244)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[SCCA] Trans Am Round 1: Road ATL

i know there is very little hype, fanfare or interest, for that matter, in the rejuvenated TA series but i, for one, am going to support it in every way i can, regardless of what others think.

therefore, i felt the need to start this thread even though there is some "other race" the same weekend as the first (approximately) 100 mile race that i will be attending on Sunday, March 22nd. my hope is that someone who attends each race this will start a thread corresponding with the race, with as much info as can be provided, since there is very little out there now (no surprise).

however, for 25 or 35 bucks, it will be well worth the short drive over to the track on a warm spring day (hopefully) with a <small> cooler of cold ones.

latest "news":
http://www.sccatrans-am.com/?p=473

only event info so far:
http://www.atlantascca.org/club-raci...d-atlanta.html

i will try to provide some kinda of review with (someone else's) pictures afterwards, if anyone cares . just happy that race season is finally upon us.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2416874)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
entry list....

actually consists of some professionals, like Ave and Drissi in addition to series owner Pickett. don't recognize some of the others...might be club racers, but they will be there and i am happy that they are.

16 (preliminary) entries in all:
http://www.sccatrans-am.com/?cat=5

and is the Simon Gregg listed Peter's son???

also, a throw back or two in team owners such as Derhaag and Rocket Sports. no listing of car types, but i could guess at some.

starting to get a bit excited for my first race weekend...may even have to go up for practice and qualifying on Sat.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2416943)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
???L V8 powered tubeframe cars with Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang bodies?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2416948)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think there will be Challengers, but IIRC the Rotary X-treme-team has a pretty insane Mazda RX-7, and I think Rocketsports will campaign their trusty Jaguars.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2416979)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
???L V8 powered tubeframe cars with Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang bodies?
are you mocking my enthusiasm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
I don't think there will be Challengers, but IIRC the Rotary X-treme-team has a pretty insane Mazda RX-7, and I think Rocketsports will campaign their trusty Jaguars.
after researching for entirely too long, i saw that there were going to no challengers entered with 3 Jags, 1/2 dozen or so 'vettes, a camaro or 2 and a Monte Carlo plus the Mazda, driven mostly by drivers with some sort of TA experience.

Tony Ave is listed on motorsportsreg.com as driving a 'stang in GT1 which is a bit confusing since the last time i saw him on the freshly paved RoadATL, he lapped the field in a Yellow 'vette.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2417053)   #6
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll most certainly be supporting the new series. Can't wait for Queen Victoria Day Weekend at Mosport.

Chris
Old 17 Mar 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2417660)   #7
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
are you mocking my enthusiasm ?

after researching for entirely too long, i saw that there were going to no challengers entered with 3 Jags, 1/2 dozen or so 'vettes, a camaro or 2 and a Monte Carlo plus the Mazda, driven mostly by drivers with some sort of TA experience.

Tony Ave is listed on motorsportsreg.com as driving a 'stang in GT1 which is a bit confusing since the last time i saw him on the freshly paved RoadATL, he lapped the field in a Yellow 'vette.
This may be, the first time in a loooong time, I attend multiple races at Road America.
I gotta see what they have under the hoods at the very least.
Bob
Old 18 Mar 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2418411)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
so we have Mosport and RoadAmerica covered for future threads.
thanks bob and chris and enjoy the races later this year.

entry list given earlier is a list of "some"...i reckon that some GT1 competitors may enter as well...not sure how this will work.
any SCCA insiders got anything to add?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2418884)   #9
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm might have to check them out when they come to the glen in july
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2419492)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Anyone got pictures of the RX7?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2419881)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Anyone got pictures of the RX7?
i haven't found any but have not looked too hard....
love to see it myself...
we'll get some posted after the race.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2419964)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
There ya go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbonvou...7609065463160/

Not that is does remotely look like an RX-7, but I guess that's okay as there is a rotary engine somewhere under the bodywork...
Old 20 Mar 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2420339)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That looks awesome.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2420885)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
yeah, that'll do for an RX-7.
bet it's load, too.
thanks, speedy.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2422864)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Greg Pickett took home the victory in a Jag.......
http://www.sccatrans-am.com/?p=510

the race was good and beautiful weather....absolute perfect day to be at the racetrack.
hopefully, i can convince a couple others to share their pics in due time, of course.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2424217)   #16
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found this thought you guys might like it. http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ener-road.html Race report by Michael Skeen, in car video of the race from him, and finally photos from the race