Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3285111)   #301
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
India's a huge car market and there is an Indian-owned team in F1. That makes it perfectly logical as a GP venue.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3285149)   #302
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Pity it's not permanent. What is F1 doing in India anyway, apart from lining Bernie's pockets?
If the Indian revenue start chasing Bernie for 1/19 of his turnover I suspect he might want to scrap the idea of going to India. Mind you it is one of the better Tilke tracks.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3285166)   #303
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
As there is no longer a Czechoslovakia, it's unlike we'll have a GP of it.
I know, but the "Grand Prix of the Czech Republic" is a bit of a tongue-twister. Of course, the "Czech Grand Prix" may be OK.

Jokes aside, does anyone know if Brno is up to snuff in regards to F1 facilities?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3285183)   #304
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't every Grand Prix these days a Cheque (Check, for those of you out west) Grand Prix?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3285185)   #305
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to this Homologation list it's Grade 2, so not up to F1 standards.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, as it has Knockhill as International Grade 3 which is correct but a reference width of 10m. Knockhill was widened several years ago when the whole circuit was resurfaced. I believe it's a minimum of 12m all around these days.

I admit this may have nothing to do with the reference width, which I've been unable to find a definition of.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 2 Aug 2013 at 23:19.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3285194)   #306
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Isn't every Grand Prix these days a Cheque (Check, for those of you out west) Grand Prix?
Old 3 Aug 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3285260)   #307
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
India's a huge car market and there is an Indian-owned team in F1. That makes it perfectly logical as a GP venue.
It's just another cash cow for Bernie. Does India have a natural motor racing fan base and heritige?
Old 3 Aug 2013, 05:02 (Ref:3285273)   #308
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
True, but a visit will convince you that around 10% of the male population is dressed in some sort of uniform and has the expressed duty of making life as difficult as possible for everyone else with useless forms of bureaucracy.
Not exactly conducive to either productivity or being inviting to visitors.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3285434)   #309
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
True, but a visit will convince you that around 10% of the male population is dressed in some sort of uniform and has the expressed duty of making life as difficult as possible for everyone else with useless forms of bureaucracy.
Not exactly conducive to either productivity or being inviting to visitors.
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself. Plus, the track's a complete bore and the smog is a serious health hazard.

The layout itself is actually quite interesting but there isn't a single tree in a few hundred miles it seems and the land is as flat as a pancake so it's not exactly the best circuit I've ever seen.

They should have put it by Mumbai where the scenery is maybe more interesting and inviting...

Old 3 Aug 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3285517)   #310
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's just another cash cow for Bernie. Does India have a natural motor racing fan base and heritige?
What was that indian driver name again ? That's all I know about motor racing in India...
Old 4 Aug 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3285816)   #311
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What was that indian driver name again ? That's all I know about motor racing in India...
Chandhok or Karthikeyan?
Old 5 Aug 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3285913)   #312
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Chandhok or Karthikeyan?
I completely forgot about Chandhok but Karthikeyan recently resurfaced as a "potential" IndyCar pay driver; subject to testing.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3285943)   #313
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is from a business perspective.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3286323)   #314
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Sure some must be selling cars there but the the business opportunities for the teams in India don't seem like they have materialized, at least in terms of new streams of sponsorship etc.

If its about business then Indian companies don't really have much interest in F1 either.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3286351)   #315
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Sure some must be selling cars there but the the business opportunities for the teams in India don't seem like they have materialized, at least in terms of new streams of sponsorship etc.

If its about business then Indian companies don't really have much interest in F1 either.
Honestly, I never believed F1 sell cars, even when Ford used the Zetec engine brand that TGF had in his Benetton to win the WDC...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3286375)   #316
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That's F1 for ya.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3286445)   #317
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

There's no real money in India to finance anything.
Bollywood makes money but all India's domestic based airlines lose money and are privately owned by major industrialists with other primary streams of income.
The rich in India hold funds that in total are much greater than the national gross product but hold that money outside the country. It doesn't get invested in India, but baked into major overseas investment holdings that do nothing for the internal economy,
India has ben bled every year for decades. Its why despite being one of the most potentially powerful economies it gives rise to perpetual poverty for its lower and underclasses and always will.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3286526)   #318
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a lot of the money that is in india for investment is from china.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3286534)   #319
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
There's no real money in India to finance anything.
Bollywood makes money but all India's domestic based airlines lose money and are privately owned by major industrialists with other primary streams of income.
The rich in India hold funds that in total are much greater than the national gross product but hold that money outside the country. It doesn't get invested in India, but baked into major overseas investment holdings that do nothing for the internal economy,
India has ben bled every year for decades. Its why despite being one of the most potentially powerful economies it gives rise to perpetual poverty for its lower and underclasses and always will.
Something's got to change...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3286567)   #320
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
a lot of the money that is in india for investment is from china.
thats true for most countries in the region though no? maybe even true for most countries on the calendar now too.

but regardless of where the money comes from, India has a billion cell phone subscribers and probably a similar number of savings accounts, so where are the telecom and banking companies?

in recent years we have seen western banks pull away from F1 and with the likes of Vodafone pulling out of F1 in order to concentrate on cheaper and more direct forms of advertising im wondering if the case with India is just about no one in India caring about F1 or is this just another sign that F1 is not the commercial and advertising vehicle that it once was in all markets.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3286585)   #321
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i have to agree with you, it's difficult to fault large indian and other asian companies for not getting involved in f1.

how do you advertise using a western capitalist monolith with no clear message to a new market? f1 isn't saying "spend money and this will happen" like celebrities promoting designer products, or "buy this car and the ladies will love you". it's just waving a massive wad of cash and shiny things that most people will never understand the details of.

imo, formula one only works as a marketing tool in countries where there is a vivid national memory of the glory days. otherwise, what are you selling? what image and reputation are you selling to people?

and anyone criticising the indians for having such a huge gulf between the rich and the poor should carefully consider their own glass house before they throw stones. the gap is increasing pretty rapidly in the uk, in europe and in the states.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3286594)   #322
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The sport in India is Cricket and even more so since the emergence of Twenty 20 Cricket and the Indian Premier League, which attracts international players. That's where the money is.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3286618)   #323
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The sport in India is Cricket and even more so since the emergence of Twenty 20 Cricket and the Indian Premier League, which attracts international players. That's where the money is.
Yep. Cricket has saturation coverage in India. F1 coverage is minimal and not informative about the sport.

I understand Bellas comment about being critical of third world countries when the first world is being crushed but I have lived and worked with people in India and Nepal for the most of the last 12 months and I understand what goes on and why things are the way they are.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3286788)   #324
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anybody really see the British GP surviving another 10 years? The only reason they got a record audience this year was because they lowered the general admission ticket price at the last minute after reports stating they were struggling to sell out. I was even offered a ticket free through my work, but couldn't attend. I just get the impression F1 has been keen to drop the British GP for a long time now and the last renovation of Silverstone breathed just a bit of life into it for the short term. The teams love the race due to how close the majority of them are, the logistics are the cheapest of the year. However, the fans are put off by tickets prices (the most expensive in Europe, excluding Monaco), and the race has little support from the British government. We've also lost a combined total of 3m viewers over the past 12 months with the pay tv split, so none of this is helping the sport here in the long term.

They seem to be attempting to push its popularity away from the countries that have supported it since its incarnation and into economies where they feel they will get more money. Short sighted if you ask me.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3286806)   #325
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Can anybody really see the British GP surviving another 10 years? The only reason they got a record audience this year was because they lowered the general admission ticket price at the last minute after reports stating they were struggling to sell out. I was even offered a ticket free through my work, but couldn't attend. I just get the impression F1 has been keen to drop the British GP for a long time now and the last renovation of Silverstone breathed just a bit of life into it for the short term. The teams love the race due to how close the majority of them are, the logistics are the cheapest of the year. However, the fans are put off by tickets prices (the most expensive in Europe, excluding Monaco), and the race has little support from the British government. We've also lost a combined total of 3m viewers over the past 12 months with the pay tv split, so none of this is helping the sport here in the long term.

They seem to be attempting to push its popularity away from the countries that have supported it since its incarnation and into economies where they feel they will get more money. Short sighted if you ask me.
Silverstone has a long term contract going past 2020 (I cannot remember the exact year). However it is also expensive.
I believe GP's should be able run without government support but Bernie has got to greedy for that in most cases. The other factor is the current court cases mean that government will be less likely to give money to an organistion that is tainted with corruption (not always the case I know).