Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Sep 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3770074)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2018 Dunlop Super2 Series

Bathurst Super2 race regains points status for 2018

clearly the wildcard experiment didnt work
Old 27 Sep 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3770102)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hmmmm - they used to have wildcards and a non-points race at Bathurst in the early days of what is now Super2. Experience was the same as this.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3770104)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the difference there, was the main race wasn't as much of a closed shop as it is now.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3770126)   #4
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand why no Super2 runners were interested in the 1000, assuming that they would have to pay an extra fee (inflation adjusted) no greater than what they gladly paid back in 1999!?

How come there were 55 car grids then, yet now it's impossible? Doesn't make sense.

It couldn't be that Supercars have jacked up the entry fee to many times what privateers paid to race in the 1999 and 2000 versions of the Great Race?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3770176)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know the full story, but my understanding is that the minimum budget required to do the '1000, would cover most blokes for a whole Super2 season.

There's a lot more to it, than just the nominal entry fee.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3770178)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
as an example the tyre allocation for bathurst 1000 is 36 new slicks

the tyre allocation for all 7 dunlop points races is 56 new slicks
Old 27 Sep 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3770179)   #7
MichaelScott
Rookie

MichaelScott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a GT3 event had only 15 entries it would be the end of the world. Points or no points you don’t get many chances to race at this track.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3770181)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScott View Post
If a GT3 event had only 15 entries it would be the end of the world. Points or no points you don’t get many chances to race at this track.
Im doubtful of that.

however would you not think its a good thing that Supercars have acted prmptly to fix the problem?

Last edited by peckstar; 27 Sep 2017 at 23:55.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3770182)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I don't know the full story, but my understanding is that the minimum budget required to do the '1000, would cover most blokes for a whole Super2 season.

There's a lot more to it, than just the nominal entry fee.
A team did this event a couple of years ago as a wildcard, rented a car, sourced engineering and preparation assistance, and garage equipment, insured it, and for the single event were said to not see a whole lot of change out of $150k when working out the value of cash and kind.

Just as Super2 pilots get called up into the main 1,000km race, technical bods become in demand for teams to bolster the strategy/engineering/preparation in teams up and down the lane too. Like Dr Slater at 888 Here

There are spare garages at the end of the lane... not dozens... but a number usually taken up by Dunlop tyre equipment & personnel... and a weighbridge/setup pad.. who could either contract to smaller space, or go back into the paddock. SupercarTV takes a number of garages too as a studio which equally could be somewhere else if required.

If only there was the demand for the space.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Sep 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3770778)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im doubtful of that.

however would you not think its a good thing that Supercars have acted prmptly to fix the problem?
Supercars could have run a combined Super2 and Kumho race? Was that a consideration?
Old 30 Sep 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3770779)   #11
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A team did this event a couple of years ago as a wildcard, rented a car, sourced engineering and preparation assistance, and garage equipment, insured it, and for the single event were said to not see a whole lot of change out of $150k when working out the value of cash and kind.
Seems as you would expect 150k/3.5m season budget, or 5% of the full Supercars season budget.

A traditional privateer car in the traditional 1000 would surely cost less than that to run -- staffed entirely with mates working for a beer and burnt sausage, trailered to the track on an open-air trailer behind a Land Cruiser, engineering support consisting of nothing more than the owner-driver fiddling with the shock absorber knobs between seasons etc. Exactly as cars are prepared in lower categories.

Fully refreshed car with careful inventory of the fatigue cycles on all the components fitted? Not ruddy likely. More like flush the brake fluid, give it a polish and hope the thing makes it to the end without anything snapping!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 30 Sep 2017 at 18:24.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3770795)   #12
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Seems as you would expect 150k/3.5m season budget, or 5% of the full Supercars season budget.

A traditional privateer car in the traditional 1000 would surely cost less than that to run -- staffed entirely with mates working for a beer and burnt sausage, trailered to the track on an open-air trailer behind a Land Cruiser, engineering support consisting of nothing more than the owner-driver fiddling with the shock absorber knobs between seasons etc. Exactly as cars are prepared in lower categories.

Fully refreshed car with careful inventory of the fatigue cycles on all the components fitted? Not ruddy likely. More like flush the brake fluid, give it a polish and hope the thing makes it to the end without anything snapping!
Thankfully those days have passed. Adding a bunch of low budget once a year racers to the field would do nothing to improve the race and indeed would likely ruin it with even more safety cars.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 04:02 (Ref:3770840)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
There are spare garages at the end of the lane... not dozens...
If the 26 usual REC's start the 1000, that leaves 46 spare spots for cars in the lane

The current pitlane was designed with 72 car spots available (36 double garages)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Thankfully those days have passed. Adding a bunch of low budget once a year racers to the field would do nothing to improve the race and indeed would likely ruin it with even more safety cars.
We have as many safety cars now as we used to with double the grid size
Old 1 Oct 2017, 04:54 (Ref:3770845)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If the 26 usual REC's start the 1000, that leaves 46 spare spots for cars in the lane

The current pitlane was designed with 72 car spots available (36 double garages)

supercars has no interest in filling its grid with a bunch of slow under funded cars. they have no desire for class racing

Supercars has been running fields of 25 -30 cars in the 1000 for over 10 years and are getting record crowds. they have a good product that is popular, their race is the fastest race on the mountain and there is no need to change it
Old 1 Oct 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3770857)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
supercars has no interest in filling its grid with a bunch of slow under funded cars. they have no desire for class racing
Bathurst Trivia.

Who were the last class winners of a Supercar Bathurst 1000?
Old 1 Oct 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3770858)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Bathurst Trivia.

Who were the last class winners of a Supercar Bathurst 1000?
Bathurst 1994... BMW 318i ST... Paul Morris/Altfrid Heger... 10th Outright?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Oct 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3770910)   #17
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Bathurst 1994... BMW 318i ST... Paul Morris/Altfrid Heger... 10th Outright?
No. But good try.

A class winner from a Supercars run Bathurst 1000 is what I am looking for.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3770923)   #18
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that case the answer would be Rose/McCarthy in the '98 race I'm guessing (I had to look up who won it, but I remembered reading that there was a second class in that event running control tires).
Old 1 Oct 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3770932)   #19
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1999. Forbes / Full.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 2 Oct 2017, 01:34 (Ref:3771139)   #20
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It wouldn't be class racing, they'd all be in Supercar-spec equipment?
Old 2 Oct 2017, 01:37 (Ref:3771140)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It wouldn't be class racing, they'd all be in Supercar-spec equipment?
Kumho shod 10 years pre COTF old supercars are supercar spec. Im calling BS on that

Supercars has no interest in filling its grid with a bunch of slow under funded cars with driver of dubious ability

The 70s are over, they will leave that to the amatuer events that occur at easter and early feb

at any point, its irrelevant, Everyone was invited this year, no one came

Last edited by peckstar; 2 Oct 2017 at 01:50.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3771146)   #22
one five five
Veteran

There wouldn't be slow cars in the race as there would be a qualifying cut-off somewhere around 107%, and I've never suggested (nor has anyone else seriously) 10 year old Kuhmo cars starting the race.

Has a ten-year old car ever even contested a 1000km race at Bathurst??
Old 2 Oct 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3771151)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
There wouldn't be slow cars in the race as there would be a qualifying cut-off somewhere around 107%, and I've never suggested (nor has anyone else seriously) 10 year old Kuhmo cars starting the race.

sorry, you are right, apologies for the Kumho that was someone else in a different thread

But still there year there were spots for Wildcard and no one took them

supercars has determined the grid at 34 with a 107% cut-off (Same as sandown). The cut-off is up from 105% at sprint rounds

But still no development car took the spots (possibly because all the best Dunlop series drivers are co-drivers in the main race
Old 2 Oct 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3771187)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But the field is closer together, and the officials are far hotter on the trigger than in the past, no doubt because of insurance concerns.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the longest entered car in the 1000km race might be an under 2 litre Corolla, or perhaps the Lusty VL? I would have thought both would have clocked at least 5 of 6 years?
Old 2 Oct 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3771191)   #25
Umai Naa
Veteran

Some of those VLs date back to Group C VBs.