Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jun 2003, 14:24 (Ref:620631)   #1
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa the dump.

I was at the last F1 at Spa, great to spectate, the atmosphere and the people were great, good party atmosphere, I also raced there in the Formula opel before, once again party atmosphere, great. But I must say that during the F1 the spectator area's were a dump, I mean so much rubbish it smelt real bad, the toilets were 10 miles away and you needed a Bio nuclear suit to get near them, you had to be there to see the mess, I have attended lots of racing including the british GP and they prove there is no excuse, we walked for 10 mins to find a bin and in the end gave up. With top circuits like Malaysia etc I say you can keep spa, ok the drivers love it and Eu-Rouge is cool (especially behind the wheel) but the fans should be the most important thing, and we were treated like cattle. After the race ended they called the cars straight in to the second pit lane, so we had no parade lap, everyone around me was annoyed at that, and in the morning we arrived as did most people "early", and there was no support races, nothing to do but sit and admire the piles of rubbish.

Spa go away.
British GP, bring it on !!!

jensen
Old 4 Jun 2003, 14:30 (Ref:620636)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa is a race you can better watch from behind the TV, it's overpriced for the seats you get, and the GA places are even worse.

The Nurburgring and Hockenheim are much better for spectators.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 14:34 (Ref:620641)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kids these days, spoilt rotten...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 14:35 (Ref:620643)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim doesn't exist anymore. Oh wait, they actually went ahead and committed sacrilege and called that new ******* track "Hockenheim". Right...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 15:23 (Ref:620695)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it wasn't too bad at Spa last year. One good thing is that because the track is so long there's plenty of room for everyone to get a spot next to the track (apart from the chicane).

I was at Blanchimont for the race and you could get quite close to the track as you were above it by about 15 ft and could see over the debris fencing. It was quite impressive looking down into the cockpits when they were coming past at 180+ mph!

There are the down-sides though. I couldn't get anywhere near the trade stands because it was just insame around the the tunnel that goes under Eau Rouge. This was Saturday morning so heaven knows what it was like on race day. I just gave up in the end. You were right about the lack of support races for the race Jensen. I think it was just the one Porsche race. I remember after having a nice warm Friday and Saturday the Sunday was quite cold. Just sitting there using a tree trunk as a makeshift chair, shivering and no racing did get on my wick a bit.

I don't regret going and I would recommend people to go (if the F1 circus returns) just to experience a grand prix at Spa.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 15:46 (Ref:620711)   #6
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Hockenheim doesn't exist anymore. Oh wait, they actually went ahead and committed sacrilege and called that new ******* track "Hockenheim". Right...
I went to the old Hockenheim for the "I was careful looking after my engine" victory for Wiggum in 2001 and I was amazed. It was an amazing circuit. Micky the Shoe retired at the first chicane and sat right in front of us on the barriers for over an hour and it was funny to see Wiggum and Barry Robins turn him down when he wanted a lift back to the pits. We walked back up Jim Clark into the stadium after the race and it was astonishing.

On the downsiide - we were in a place called the Hardtbachdamm or something, with thousands of people and a filthy canal down behind us - several people fell in!

Nothing is ever perfect though.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 16:01 (Ref:620725)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Give me smelly Spa (to spectate or drive) over sterile Silverstone anyday.

I get goosebumps when I think of watching a GP from my mearly adequate grandstand that I used one year (or those hard even the concrete steps, or the cliffs of death used for spectating before Pouhon).

Standing by the present Copse corner with the binoculars you need to view the action and a convient bin does bugger all for me, I'm afraid.

The trees, the atmosphere, the gradient, the mist in the morning as you walk through the gates at La Source, hell, I even love just looking at those corners when there are no cars there.

We raced there this year and waking up and seeing a bit of the track through the trees sure beats waking up in the Silverstone paddock. And for weeks before and after (in fact still) all myself and my co-driver have to do to raise a smile is say "Spa". A single word. "Silverstone" doesn't achieve that.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 16:08 (Ref:620732)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
depend where you are gold 2 at spa is great
Old 4 Jun 2003, 16:17 (Ref:620740)   #9
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa-Superb track, OK to get to and to park at.
Facilities, though are non existent.And boy, does the forest in the inside of the circuit smell after 3 days of people peeing in it!!!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 17:49 (Ref:620855)   #10
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa is the best road race track in the world. If you're only interested in 'party atmosphere', toilets etc you should stay at home and watch it on TV. To me the track itself is 95% of what matters. The rest is just stage props.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 07:09 (Ref:621459)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope you didn't litter...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 07:43 (Ref:621480)   #12
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no.

Quote:
Originally posted by JGM
Spa is the best road race track in the world. If you're only interested in 'party atmosphere', toilets etc you should stay at home and watch it on TV. To me the track itself is 95% of what matters. The rest is just stage props.

So it's ok for a spectator to spend £££ on tickets and travel all that way to be greated by a litter filled, no toilets and **** food venue then ?, I think not. I agree the track is cool but as spectators "the customers" we were treated badly, and that is not good, I wouldnt go again if it was a free bie ~!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 09:03 (Ref:621529)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that it's way too expensive for too little comfort.
Even i wouldn't want to pay that much to dwell around in mud with nowhere to go for sh***y bussines, no matter how good the track is.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:58 (Ref:621675)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Food. Some of those scary sausages are excellent.

When you've spent a long period of time in a Le Mans campsite Spa's slight lack of bins pales into insignificance! (another place that is overall simply sublime. It’s the admin that is the problem there. We received our tickets this morning, nearly a year after ordering them and several dozen emails/letters/faxes later! Oh and they are for the wrong grandstand!)

Frankly it is not that bad. I don't remember the bins being a problem and I don't throw litter on the ground. The food isn't served from five star restaurants, but I've always found it nice. My wife is a vegetarian and she has a little problem when it comes to choice (cheese sandwich or nothing), but that is the continent for you. You should try Austria - Sausage, sausage or sausage.

As for the toilets, when I camped there they were excellent (you paid, which I always find a little odd, but hey, that's me). There were showers, which were fantastically hot and powerful.

I see no problem at all. It's not the greatest, but there is no problem. And all the advantages, the proper stuff, the reason you are there, destroys anywhere else.

Spa. It rocks.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 12:54 (Ref:621725)   #15
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in the 2001 season I went to all F3000 races, but I never stayed for Sunday. I think that is the best, you see the qualifying, the feeling and the show, but leave home before the big crowd arrives. I also went for the first Indi race in the us and that was great, the racing infrastructure is soooo developed, we did not even notice the crowed.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 06:49 (Ref:622535)   #16
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One track that has come a long way, even though it is not F1 standards is Sears Point. It used to be really bad. There was virtually no restrooms instead only porto-potties.

I had the scare of my life when in one such porto-pottie, it was the only clean one and the nachos where not sitting well, so to it I ran. I thought I was in luck, the only clean one, just for me! However I soon found out that it was clean because it was on a slope and if your weight shifted just a bit it would rock back and want to tip over! I damn near rolled the thing down the hill and only by the grace of God did I balance it out! Man I love the old Sears Point!