Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1580055)   #1
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS to Dump Series??

I was talking to a competitor i know was talking to a CAMS offical in TAS on the weekend and he stated that the whole thing is under review. We (CAMS) are looking at either selling, leasing the series to some one next year. either way cams will not be under writting or running the series.

With only 60 odd entries in TAS and CAMS underwriitng the series, i guess it wont be long under license fees go up to cover the cost.

i belive that the Production guys had to guarantee 20 entries and as only 12 turned up had the 12 had to dig into there pockets to pay the differance. with an entry fee of $1500, that means ech competitor had to pay an additional $1000.00
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:30 (Ref:1580063)   #2
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOuld be interested in hearing under what conditions they had to pay an extra $1000. Any of this in writing?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1580072)   #3
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would amount to $7,500 in entry fees for the whole season if they had to pay for the $1000 to compensate for the situation. And if it continues for the rest of the season....
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1580078)   #4
wishbone
Racer

from what i understand there is nothing in writting at this time, however the competior i know was told he will need to pay this before the next round.

the contract between PCAA and CAMS apparent states they must provide a minimum of 20 paid entries per round, now NO i have not read the contract, but this is what i have been told.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1580097)   #5
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am assuming you are talking about the CAMS National Series, is that correct?

If that is correct, then that is why the AMRS (under AASA) is growing (albeit slowly), because it is a cheaper alternative, with a whole lot less, grief, hassle and over-regulation.

Why I even hear that the clerk of course from Winton has been asked to travel to Wakefield Park from Albury to act as assitant clerk of course, as Wakefield Park management liked the nice, easy, simple way that the AASA meetings are run and they want that style to continue at Goulburn.

You just don't hear that said about CAMS run meetings.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1580188)   #6
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone
I was talking to a competitor i know was talking to a CAMS offical in TAS on the weekend and he stated that the whole thing is under review. We (CAMS) are looking at either selling, leasing the series to some one next year. either way cams will not be under writting or running the series.

With only 60 odd entries in TAS and CAMS underwriitng the series, i guess it wont be long under license fees go up to cover the cost.

i belive that the Production guys had to guarantee 20 entries and as only 12 turned up had the 12 had to dig into there pockets to pay the differance. with an entry fee of $1500, that means ech competitor had to pay an additional $1000.00
I have been following the AMRS/CNRC tusstle with interest. Since the demise of Procar, there has been a need to have another "second tier" series, and as such there are now a choice of two for competitors. One is run under AASA and the other under CAMS, and all competitors can make a choice.
As for your comments regarding quotes from a competitor and the number of entries for Symmons Plains it is obvious that you are "fishing " and hoping for a bite. By the way, what is a license fee?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1580206)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While meantime it is much rumoured that CAMS will announce a household major sponsor for the championships in the very near future
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1580402)   #8
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XW GT
I have been following the AMRS/CNRC tusstle with interest. Since the demise of Procar, there has been a need to have another "second tier" series, and as such there are now a choice of two for competitors. One is run under AASA and the other under CAMS, and all competitors can make a choice.
As for your comments regarding quotes from a competitor and the number of entries for Symmons Plains it is obvious that you are "fishing " and hoping for a bite. By the way, what is a license fee?
I would have thought that competitors choice would depend on what sort of car they owned, rather than a personal decision on how meeting are run. Not much you can do with a Tranzam at AMRS (unless its a Commodore or Falcon then it's all good for TCC), and owning a Formula 4000 won't help you at a CAMS NMRC meeting.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1580440)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was talking to a competitor i know was talking to a CAMS offical in TAS on the weekend and he stated that the whole thing is under review.
After only two events. Not even Cams can be that trigger happy.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1580759)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
11 cars and they were supposed to have a mininum of 20...that is a loss of 50%, I can see why CAMS is not happy. Realistically the AMRS and PCAA should get together and go from there. What is the point of have two bog standard production class catergories?
Old 14 Apr 2006, 00:30 (Ref:1580901)   #11
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is not the way the series works, CAMS don't "underwrite" it in the first place. They are simply the organisers/administrators of the series. The associations buy a slot on the program. It doesn't mater if 10 cars turn up or a capacity grid. Obviously if the Slot is $20k, 20 make it cheaper per competitor than 12. The associations can decide to loose money on each round if they want to, but the clubs wouldn't want to get into the sort of suicide. (Which Procar did for years) By the way, if there had of been 25 entries in Tassie, the association would have mad the profit, not CAMS

As for CAMS getting out, well since they never intended to be the promoter, and they don't promote any other series, (leaving it to "professional" organisations), are you surprised? CAMS stepped in because they were trying to fill a void created at short notice.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1580935)   #12
wishbone
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
CAMS stepped in because they were trying to fill a void created at short notice.
What void, we had the amrs and it was getting bigger and better, but the egos of a few catergories and cams tried to take over the amrs. when that failed they all jumped ship and created this new series.

So i think you should check, what the word void means.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1582631)   #13
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here we go - It's all a conspiracy, I am sure that there is an x-files forum for you out there somewhere. Statements that are propaganda for one side or the other only reveal that your initial hearsay in the post that started this thread, was indeed a statement deliberately aimed at providing mis-information, and causing a knee jerk response from those individuals who do not have access to the basic facts.

Look, the AMRS made a commercial decision to move to the AASA. Fine, they are big boys and it is their right to do so.
Some Categories were not comfortable with that decision. Fine, they are big boys and it is their right to do so.
If these categories were not going to run under AASA, and there was no other National Series, then there was a Void. Where was that dictionary, then?
Old 15 Apr 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1582662)   #14
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What void, we had the amrs and it was getting bigger and better, but the egos of a few catergories and cams tried to take over the amrs. when that failed they all jumped ship and created this new series.

So i think you should check, what the word void means.
void

• adjective 1 not valid or legally binding. 2 completely empty. 3 (void of) free from; lacking.

• noun a completely empty space.

• verb 1 chiefly N. Amer. declare to be not valid or legally binding. 2 discharge or drain away (water, gases, etc.). 3 chiefly Medicine excrete (waste matter).

Source - Oxford Online Dictionary

Yup, that pretty much sums up what was a poor replacement for the dearly departed PROCAR series. Devoid of proper marketing, bereft of real organisation (the more mature categories carried a lot of that burden) and lacking any direction whatsoever. To call it anything more than a void would be very optimistic.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1582708)   #15
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

lets start by saying Cams don't promote the events. Motorsports Tasmania promoted the Symmons meeting. They could of done a much better job of it instead of promoting it like a normal race meeting.

Talking to a competitor on the sunday and was told the crowd was much bigger then the first round.

These 12 cars u are talking about did they multiple on the crossing of Bass Straight to around 22? good racing aswell
Old 16 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1584963)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bartman - if I'd realised you were in Launceston, I'd have organised to have a meet up at the track.

I noticed local TV advertising for the CAMS Round 2 whilst down there, which is to be congratulated. I doubt I'll see anything on TV in Sydney for the next round at Oran Park. Actually, the next round at Oran should be a ripper.... Production, GT, Saloons, Commodore Cup, Performance Cars, Utes and Trucks!
Old 16 Apr 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1585015)   #17
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry been away for a few days again, just found this interesting.
I haven't heard anything about CAMS dumping the series, why would they?
As far as I know they are still supporting the series, or has something happened since last weekend?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1585453)   #18
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As CAMS are running the series and have arranged the TV deal and everything else that goes with the series does that mean they are in the business of event promotion or are they just a regulatory authority that have got side tracked. I think they have clearly bitten off more than they can chew,and have only done because they were jealous that the Dale/Wilmington show was going so well. In reality their efforts have only strenghtened the AAA series as more people defect as they get fed up with the idiots at Camberwell making the whole thing too hard.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 00:53 (Ref:1585461)   #19
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
You make two points:

1. Camberwell getting into event promotion - agree this is something they shouldn't do and, has been shown a number of times, simply do not have the skills to do properly.

2. Jealous because AMRS was going so well? Have to disagree here - AMRS is probably doing as well as the CAMS series - when you compare number of competitors CAMS has the upper hand; comparing crowds - at this stage both are even.

You have to also bear in mind that Tasmania rounds for ANY series has never really produced strong fields.

When the series is back on the 'mainland' then you can make a realistic comparison. But I think you will find that the CAMS series, whether some like it or not, is going to be the winner in all of this - not the AMRS.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1585572)   #20
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
As CAMS are running the series and have arranged the TV deal and everything else that goes with the series does that mean they are in the business of event promotion or are they just a regulatory authority that have got side tracked. I think they have clearly bitten off more than they can chew,and have only done because they were jealous that the Dale/Wilmington show was going so well. In reality their efforts have only strenghtened the AAA series as more people defect as they get fed up with the idiots at Camberwell making the whole thing too hard.
Idiots at Camberwell? Obviously you have your finger on the pulse cav, CAMS head office moved to Malvern East several years ago!
Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1585647)   #21
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
It's like BP Corner at OP and Hell Corner - some things stick - like names and locations.

One thing never changes though - and thats the level of incompetency coming out of Dandenong Road, Malvern East.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1587245)   #22
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I concede, the address is wrong but the attitude is still the same.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1587271)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
I concede, the address is wrong but the attitude is still the same.
CAMS always was going to dump the NMRS at first opportunity serious opportunity to someone else prepared and capable. As has been pointed out this is not an area of expertise for them, so they've had to bring in extra people to run it and its been an additional cost.

They only did it because there looked like there no-one else at the time the organisation had to be started to get 2006 season up. Complaints against them aside, they deserve some credit for getting the series up and running at all. If it had been left to the individual categories then rival politicking would have seen several series sitting by the way side.

Last edited by Falcadore; 18 Apr 2006 at 03:22.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 03:27 (Ref:1587274)   #24
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Strange that no one has really asked the question 'Why did CAMS start this series'?

To answer this you have to go and look at the management of the various race tracks around the country and their involvement over the years in organising race meetings.

Given all the pushing, shoving and medcial examinations the tracks have been subject to with the likes of PROCAR, AVESCO and a few minor varieties of promoters, is it any wonder that they weren't prepared to take on the role, and financial burden, of this new CAMS series?

They are all too aware of how CAMS run these things - at the beginning all sweetness and pals with everyone - then down the track a bit they decide 'Hey you aren't paying normal rates for this series - here's our new invoice' (Willmington and Dale found out the hard way about this in 2004 with the Touring Car Challenge and then the AMRS in 2005, Palmer finally saw the light 3-4 years ago and see where he decided to go).

Whether they deservce credit ro not is debatable - they had made an announcement before all the deals had been made (is there a medical treatment for 'premature announcement' - some of the emails floating around may help them!) and they found themselves painted into a corner. Run the series, or at least start it, themselves, or pull out and let it fail before it got off the ground, the latter, of course, would make them look like absolute fools with no ability to organise a BBQ during a bush fire (some would argue this is true anyway).

What we are seeing/hearing will only become more interesting as the next couple of meetings take place. Will there be increases in entry fees? Surcharges to cover 'unexpected expenditure', TV etc.

There are already whispers that one or two tracks have already extracted a few eye teeth from CAMS over the National Series and the circuits track licence costs - how many more will jump onto this bandwagon?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1587343)   #25
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Storyline, you have outlined the problems future and current. What is your solution ,seeing the competing AMRS organisation is really struggling to get numbers?