Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Apr 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3531072)   #1
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT6 - World rankings - How do they do it?

I've never spent too much time on seasonal events unless I need to generate funds, however last night I happened to notice my ranking at somewhere around 65,000. Ouch!

The thing is... with everyone using the "provided" car, the lap times some of these guys are clocking seem to be astonishing. Admittedly I normally give up after about 3 attempts (I usually only go for a bronze trophie), but still, we're talking nearly 10 seconds difference on a single lap, with the same car, without any mods. Since your lap is invalidated if you cut a corner or "go off," I'm really at a loss to see how some of these times can be achieved.

Do we have any masters on this forum that can share some of these secrets?
Old 27 Apr 2015, 10:18 (Ref:3531122)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet_dave View Post
I've never spent too much time on seasonal events unless I need to generate funds, however last night I happened to notice my ranking at somewhere around 65,000. Ouch!

The thing is... with everyone using the "provided" car, the lap times some of these guys are clocking seem to be astonishing. Admittedly I normally give up after about 3 attempts (I usually only go for a bronze trophie), but still, we're talking nearly 10 seconds difference on a single lap, with the same car, without any mods. Since your lap is invalidated if you cut a corner or "go off," I'm really at a loss to see how some of these times can be achieved.

Do we have any masters on this forum that can share some of these secrets?
Are you using a wheel or 'just' a controller - I use a controller (don't play often enough to warrant a wheel / pedals setup) and you really can't get near a 'wheel' time with a controller. I've used a wheel on someone elses setup and was immediately faster using the same car/setup on any given circuit.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3531152)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of the times set in these cars use a certain amount of careful setup work too.

Invariably these challenges force you to use an awful tyre combination.

But the physics in the game are seemingly based on things other than weight and power as in one example I was using a road based car tha hit every limit to the point, was on the weight limit, on the power limit and one the RR limit.

I could not get a time near gold, so I went on their forum and found is if you used a race car, added tons of weight, ulled down the power you could easily beat it and I did by seconds.

The physics in the game are fairly flawed really, but these challenges are there to catch you out! In thoery both cars shoudl be setting similar times, but in GT6's mind because one was a race car and one a road car, even on the same tyres, the race car had to be quicker even though it was massively heavy and detuned. but on the same tyres!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3531166)   #4
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, some of these fast people have way too much time on their hands and practise, practise, practise using the track limits to the Nth.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3531190)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is how GT Academy works really.

Put anyone with a reasonable idea of how to get round a track, spend hundreds of thousands on them and they would do a decent job given the car, budget and everything that they get.

I am sure most of the top few thousand would do just as good a job as the guys that have won it.

I remember doing the first stage of that in the Leaf, I got to within a second of the best time and gave up! There really was nowhere else within my eyes that you could find the time, then I uploaded a ghost and could see that even on acceleration there was a difference, thats when I stopped playing.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3531248)   #6
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've somewhere around 870th I believe, using a controller.

A few tips, from my own experiences:

Slow in, Fast out: Yes, it's a cliché, but a good exit from almost every corner is key.

'The Complex' AKA Turn 3 and 4 (Village): Around here, do all you can to get a great exit from the corner, even if that means sacrificing the entry somewhat. If you're feeling brave, a dab of handbrake can often help you get around the corner a lot quicker without compromising your exit.

Hangar Straight: At the Maggots/Becketts section, make sure you take a flowing, fast line throughout, and get on the power as early as you can without crashing. You can make up as much as half a second at this section, particularly the last part before the Hangar Straight.

Last sector: No idea, frankly. I know I'll be able to hit a high 2:05 once I figure it out.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 28 Apr 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3531369)   #7
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Are you using a wheel or 'just' a controller
I'm using an old Logitech wheel from my PS2. I definitely find it easier than a controller, particularly when the car is a bit slippery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I uploaded a ghost and could see that even on acceleration there was a difference, thats when I stopped playing.
I'd love to be able to load a ghost from a top 1000 GT Academy lap, it would be interesting to see it done. I've heard people say that removing driving aids like ABS and traction control will improve acceleration and braking performance (that's about all you can do in GT Academy), but I personally haven't noticed much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
A few tips, from my own experiences:

Slow in, Fast out: Yes, it's a cliché, but a good exit from almost every corner is key.
Thanks for the tips. I must admit my lines and exit speeds did get more consistent after I eased off the entry speed. Maybe it's just a matter of more practice, although I'm probably just not prepared to put in the amount of hours required to break into the top 50,000! I was hoping I'd just be able to blame the car... or the programmers, for my lack of competitiveness.

On the real track, it was always so obvious where I was losing time and what a good lap "felt like"... not so much in the sim world.

Last edited by valet_dave; 28 Apr 2015 at 03:20. Reason: Non-sensical sentence.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3531433)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be honest though]

Once, you have played a proper sim on a PC anything you play too much on a console will feel awful!.

So my suggestion is to spend a few quid on a second ahnd G25 or 27, get a half decent PC, get Rfactor for a few quid, download a few decent mods and then see whta it feels like.

it will blow your mind!
Old 30 Apr 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3532042)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
To be honest though]

Once, you have played a proper sim on a PC anything you play too much on a console will feel awful!.

So my suggestion is to spend a few quid on a second ahnd G25 or 27, get a half decent PC, get Rfactor for a few quid, download a few decent mods and then see whta it feels like.

it will blow your mind!
Yeah that.

I was addicted to GT4 and then I bought a decent (at the time) PC, half priced Logitech DFP wheel and 50 bucks for rFactor.

I now find it very hard to get excited about GT4. The PS2 just sits there, gathering dust.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3532184)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be fair the Gran Turismo series has eben a series of patches in recent years.

Still very good and really the only sim ish based thing on Playstation, but once you hvae played a decent sim on a PC with a wheel, even playing GT with a wheel feels like playing Ridge Racer
Old 4 May 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3533866)   #11
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
I've always had a capable PC for gaming, but the problem with a PC is that it has to sit on a desk because it gets used for other things. In comparison, the PS3 allows me to sit on my favourite lounge chair in front of a big screen.

Even if you go a laptop with a HDMI to your big screen, the cost of doing that compared to a Playstation makes it difficult to justify to the Director of Valet_Dave Motorsport.