Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

View Poll Results: Are Joker Laps A Good Idea?
Yes 9 47.37%
No 9 47.37%
Don't care either way! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1688761)   #1
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joker Lap

Having just got back from Belgium and Holland I saw the Joker Lap in action at Duilvelsbergcircuit.
Although sceptical about it beforehand, thinking it would just add a false aspect to the 'racing', I think it added to the spectacle and made the racing even more exciting. I am now a convert.
Bring on the Joker Lap !! Providing it is safe and the cars do not impede each other at the exit that is.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1688895)   #2
RXfan
Racer

RXfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure i agree with you, would it really be necessary if circuits had natural overtaking places? Certainly Lydden Hill doesnt need a joker lap, maybe more circuit designers should look at Lydden then im sure there would be more "proper" overtaking. I know alot of the European circuits are alot more twisty but im not convinced joker laps are the way to go.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1688930)   #3
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was totally against the joker lap before my visit to Belguim last weekend. You have got to see it for yourself before having a true opinion. It makes a fantastic sport even better. What I would say though is if you had the big grids like the Brands GP's I don't think it would be a good idea.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1688955)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm another sceptic (although I haven't seen it in action so I guess my opinion isn't really valid ). It does smack of desperation though - surely if the track provides chances to overtake the joker lap is unneccesary?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1688968)   #5
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessmsport
Having just got back from Belgium and Holland I saw the Joker Lap in action at Duilvelsbergcircuit.
Although sceptical about it beforehand, thinking it would just add a false aspect to the 'racing', I think it added to the spectacle and made the racing even more exciting. I am now a convert.
Bring on the Joker Lap !! Providing it is safe and the cars do not impede each other at the exit that is.
Hey Chess,

Ive witness the joker lap for myself its a very nice touch and provides a bit of a spectical for spectators!!

Im a convert

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 22 Aug 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1689068)   #6
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having witnessed the Joker lap last couple of Years! it has to be seen to be beleaved "Yes it does work" added excitement for the fans as well as the drivers.Choosing the right time to take it and putting in a quick lap before all helps to improve spectator viewing and pleasure.Wouldnt be suitable for all tracks but improves the racing spectacle a great deal, so my advice get to Europe witness first hand you will soon be convinced the Swedes have been doing it for a number of years!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1689115)   #7
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please no jokerlap! It became very obvious in Belgium that everyone who races for position loses to someone who takes the jokerlap early to have a clear track. Drivers are already thinking of ways that someone on the sidelines can signal when it's safe to take the jokerlap. What has that got to do with proper racing? For me it doesn't improve the viewing pleasure at all. It reduces rallycross to a game of darts: either it's in the triple 20 or it's not - either he passes via the jokerlap or he doesn't
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1689135)   #8
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surly teams can just radio the drivers to tell them? The big boys in the BRC seem to always be talking on the radio!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1689155)   #9
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Jokerlaps are crap. Rallycross should always be regardless progressing towards the chequered flag – and not some kind of gambling.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1689366)   #10
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does smack a bit of F1 pit stops !!!
Old 23 Aug 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1689461)   #11
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundy Mooney
It does smack a bit of F1 pit stops !!!
Which are sometime the most exciting part of the race
Old 23 Aug 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1689591)   #12
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
IMO Jokerlaps are crap. Rallycross should always be regardless progressing towards the chequered flag – and not some kind of gambling.
Well what can I say Highly Contravorsial from the Guru! but Honest thats what we need more constructive fors and againts for the Joker lap.....
Old 23 Aug 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1689592)   #13
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is excitement back in F1 I really must tune back in.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1690853)   #14
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only seen it on TV, but it looks a good idea. Obviously it doesn't work on all tracks.

How about a driver could choose one round in the championship, where he scores double points. This works well in other formula, Speedway, even Minicross already adopts this system.