Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jan 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3705216)   #1
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie in competing series move...?

Mods: merge with another thread if you think that's necessary, I couldn't really think which one to put this in...

In Auto-Bild (yes, I know, Bild isn't the most reliable of sources):

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/forme...-10924171.html

Nuts and bolts: Briatore's been putting together 'GP1' for a while, and apparently Mr E thinks it's a good idea. Let's see where this goes.

EDIT: Joe Saward's view:

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017...-championship/
Old 26 Jan 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3705232)   #2
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IMHO, the biggest factor in this (with respect to BE) is this quote from Saward...

Quote:
The other key question is how many big corporations are going to invest heavily in a business run by someone who is knocking 90, who won’t have a succession plan…
Putting that aside, I like the idea of competition and ultimately the threat of an alternate series. Frankly a large problem with F1 is that BE has so many players tied up contractually, it has prevented competition, which ultimately has prevented new ideas. Saward also makes the point that BE now has to battle the fortress he built.

I expect the current players are very much in a wait and see with respect to Liberty. I think the only potential chance of this working is is Liberty tries to break the special deal with Ferrari (which I personally think is a good thing), then Ferrari may threaten to move elsewhere. And I can't see Ferrari jumping into an alternative series unless they received special consideration which IMHO would be a bad way to recruit other entrants. Nothing like a recruiting poster that say... "Join us and be a second class citizen!" (which frankly is the current F1 recruiting poster But at least it seems to be an established place to be vs. the uncertainty of an upstart series.)

Richard
Old 26 Jan 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3705236)   #3
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that will never happen.

The name Formula 1 is too big.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3705238)   #4
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another thing that puzzles me... I would have expected Liberty to have put in place some type of non-compete clause in Bernie's exit. However... given Bernie's wealth, he would have had little incentive to agree to that (what leverage would Liberty have over him? Probably none). Liberty may also think the potential for success is so low, why bother pushing the point!

Richard

(Edit: Might there be a prior non-compete as part of Bernie working for CVC that might have carried over to Liberty? CVC may have had enough leverage years ago to extract a transferrable non-compete out of him)
Old 26 Jan 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3705259)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter Windsor on twitter with a comment about this.

The response today when an F1 luminary was asked privately how Mr E was doing: "He's setting-up a breakaway series". Don't laugh.

https://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor/st...503150592?s=09

while this seems unlikely i would like to see him try.

as Saward alludes to, BE 'abhors quiet electric cars and doesn’t want to become that kind of Mr E. He wants loud, noisy and dangerous machinery.'

if he does try this there is something very appealing about a v8/v10 series with little aero and other modern technical wizardry run by privateers and held at tracks that F1 wont or cant go to anymore.

get Ron and Flav on board, maybe snag a couple of soon to be retiring drivers like Alonso, Kimi, Massa, Button...nostalgia can be a powerful thing!

thinking about some of the other threads and the call for more support races...maybe this is something that Liberty should think about helping with as an event they could add to a GP weekend. it could help retain an older fan base that they risk losing in the face of the changes they plan on making.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3705271)   #6
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
While I think competition is a good thing, I have to agree with Joe Saward are any large cooperations going to take Bernie seriously, take age out of the equation for a moment ...
Old 27 Jan 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3705563)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see it going anywhere, he's already shown he doesn't get with the times, so there hardly gonna be queuing at the door for this one
Old 27 Jan 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3705584)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
I'm sure that will never happen.

The name Formula 1 is too big.
Actually, I think that the prestige of F1 is based on the big teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Mercedes.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3705644)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
I think that it could well happen. Bernie has enough money to easily do it just to put some noses out of joint even if it fails !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jan 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3705676)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Statement from Bernie Ecclestone.

Quote:
“I wish to clear up the rumours that I am starting a series to compete against the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. I have built the Championship over the last near-50 years, which is something I am proud of, and the last thing I want is to see it damaged.

“The new owner of the company will be able to carry out the administration of the company in a different way to the way I had, which was to produce financial results for the shareholders, the normal actions of a chief executive. This, I have done for the different shareholders over the last years and also when I owned 100 percent of the company.

“I would have loved the luxury of what Chase Carey, the CEO, is able to do. I hope the F1 supporters appreciate this as Chase intends to put money back into the sport.

“I am very touched by the support and thanks that I have received from the people that I have dealt with over the years.”
Old 28 Jan 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3705706)   #11
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
^ Can't help but notice he doesn't explicitly say it's not going to happen...
Old 28 Jan 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3705713)   #12
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie is the king of mis direction, it's not going to happen ..
Old 28 Jan 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3705763)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
According to Autosport, he has denied he will do it
Old 28 Jan 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3705818)   #14
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
If Bernie were to come to the rescue of Manor then he would go down as a hero in most people's eyes ...
What else can he possibly do with all of that money ?

Not to say that he has not come to rescue before, he has on a few ocasions, Lotus being the most recent ..
Old 28 Jan 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3705828)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
Sure, if he wants to have a crack at it he can. I shall preserve my protest placards for other causes.

I think it's alot of old 'who-ha' in the words of Al Pacino. Certainly whatever project that slippery slob Flavio is doing, I'll have nuthin' to do with it.