Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 May 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3243597)   #51
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peacock is doing the international PR work for Petter Solberg.

http://www.mediaticaworld.com/

Their website maxrally.com is beating the drum like hell for Petter.

http://www.maxrally.com/
Old 6 May 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3243644)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That explains it all then, Peacock used to be rallies editor for Autosport

How rather dull
Old 6 May 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3243648)   #53
Magistrate
Rookie

Magistrate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
well, the coverage is a million times better than any other rallycross coverage i've seen for a very long time, and it's on a more wide reaching channel. Only petrol heads watch motors tv, but eurosport brings it to a far wider audience, both geographically, and through the type of people watching. Have you been on autosport's website lately? There's sections devoted to 'Rallyx' which were never there before, and adverts for the series. There was even a massive feature in one edition of the magazine before the first round. The RallycrossRx championship, is, whether we like it or not, the pinnacle of our sport, so more coverage of that, will undoubtedly lead to more people being interested on a national and clubmans level, simply through more people knowing about it!
I have to say that I agree with very little of this.

Perhaps the coverage was better than that of Motors tv, but how many people realistically got to see it? As a rallycross enthusiast I am keen to view all possible meets and events, yet until very recently I did not realise the European coverage was being shown at all! When I eventually found out where it was being shown, I was unable to watch it due to a schedule which runs over the period between 7 and 8 in the morning - which I should imagine the schedules of most do, what with work etc.

Furthermore, I do not know one person who is not a "petrol head" who reads the autosport magazine or website.. In fact, I only know of a couple of people who do at all amongst my "petrol head" aquaintances.

As for it reaching a wider community and being the catalyst to a boom in clubmans and national rallycross, I think you're kidding yourself. With very few people seeing the action, or even knowing it's being shown there's no way it can draw people into the sport - will most possibly have the opposite effect if people think it's being ignore by the media.
Top Gear did much more for the sport - at least the show reaches millions and is readily available on catchup or online if you miss the showings and is repeated months later for the benefit of new viewers (who aren't all "petrol heads". I know many who watch it just for the humour)

Last edited by Magistrate; 6 May 2013 at 19:52. Reason: grammatical error
Old 6 May 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3243657)   #54
maranello48
Rookie

maranello48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
I have to say that I agree with very little of this.

Perhaps the coverage was better than that of Motors tv, but how many people realistically got to see it? As a rallycross enthusiast I am keen to view all possible meets and events, yet until very recently I did not realise the European coverage was being shown at all! When I eventually found out where it was being shown, I was unable to watch it due to a schedule which runs over the period between 7 and 8 in the morning - which I should imagine the schedules of most do, what with work etc.

Furthermore, I do not know one person who is not a "petrol head" who reads the autosport magazine or website.. In fact, I only know of a couple of people who do at all amongst my "petrol head" aquaintances.

As for it reaching a wider community and being the catalyst to a boom in clubmans and national rallycross, I think you're kidding yourself. With very few people seeing the action, or even knowing it's being shown there's no way it can draw people into the sport - will most possibly have the opposite effect if people think it's being ignore by the media.
Top Gear did much more for the sport - at least the show reaches millions and is readily available on catchup or online if you miss the showings and is repeated months later for the benefit of new viewers (who aren't all "petrol heads". I know many who watch it just for the humour")
I didnt really mean that autosport will attract new people who arent 'petrolheads' into the sport, more that the move to eurosport did. I agree entirely with the Top Gear point, Top Gear is massive, and should have given the clubmans championship a real boost. it's just a shame that it isn't able to run this year.

I agree that the timing on eurosport isn't perfect, but it's certainly a start. When IMG restructured the races, they tried to make it more 'live tv friendly', i'm not sure they've actually achieved that original aim, but it does show a push and a willingness to try for live coverage, which, due to it's nature is at more sociable hour! I feel there was never much push for rallycross outside of erc24 and rallycross world before the arrival of IMG, and although theyre not perfect by any means, it's certainly an improvement.
Old 6 May 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3243665)   #55
Magistrate
Rookie

Magistrate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
I didnt really mean that autosport will attract new people who arent 'petrolheads' into the sport, more that the move to eurosport did. I agree entirely with the Top Gear point, Top Gear is massive, and should have given the clubmans championship a real boost. it's just a shame that it isn't able to run this year.

I agree that the timing on eurosport isn't perfect, but it's certainly a start. When IMG restructured the races, they tried to make it more 'live tv friendly', i'm not sure they've actually achieved that original aim, but it does show a push and a willingness to try for live coverage, which, due to it's nature is at more sociable hour! I feel there was never much push for rallycross outside of erc24 and rallycross world before the arrival of IMG, and although theyre not perfect by any means, it's certainly an improvement.
I think Top Gear may have pushed more for rallycross on a whole, than just the clubmans (even if it was specific to that!).
The coverage needs to be straight forward - different camera angles are great, but not when they're over the top. We have to remember that rallycross isn't f1 and is enjoyed by people who are less fussy about a nice polished car - so perhaps to show a straight race with a high volume of engine noise in the background would work better. The commentator isn't bad, but it's not all that people want to hear.
Are the moves by IMG really pushing rallycross and erc when former and current enthusiasts do not even realise it is being shown? Surely this is a hinderance to the sport? If you're going to start anywhere with a push for the sport it should be with those who already support it who can then spread the word of any improvements made - yet this cannot happen when people do not know where to view it or cannot fit a ridiculous timing slot into their schedule.

You've said yourself, their original aims haven't been achieved - surely this is a failure in itself.
Old 7 May 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3243832)   #56
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with the Eurosport coverage in my opinion, way, way better than anything previously on Motors, which lets be honest wasn't great. Yes its not in prime slots but in this day and age how many people actually sit down and watch coverage live or the highlights show when its being shown. Yes, if I can I will but generally I record it and watch later, which is what I gather most other people seem to do reading comments on Ten Tenths. Ok, Eurosport may not be main stream but its much wider known than Motors. I for one think it can only be a good thing and a step in the right direction.
Old 7 May 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3243843)   #57
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only properly watched the RallycrossRX programme for Lydden so far, but my initial impression of that was that it was well edited and put together. Some of the camera angles seemed a bit pointless, but I did think the whole programme had a more professional finish to it so, yes, from that perspective, I would say its an improvement.

I also agree Eurosport is a "bigger" channel, but Motors is free via a greater number of subscription packages and, although Motors is often criticised for heavily repeating programmes, at least it gives multiple opportunities to catch the coverage. Showing the programme at 7:30 in the morning means only those who get up early (or set the recorder) are going to see it; I can't see it bringing rallycross to that massive Eurosport audience at that time of the day. So in terms of channel choice, I personally see that as a step backwards.

Negatives aside I do think the RallycrossRX website is good. As I've said in the past its no disservice to the dedicated rallycross websites (which are still the ones I visit most often), but it always struck me as very odd that the top level, FiA endorsed, series for a motorsport didn't have an official website.

I daresay IMG lucked out with Solberg joining the Championship this year; I'm sure a lot of additional interest has stemmed from that alone rather than their efforts.
Old 7 May 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3243881)   #58
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I daresay IMG lucked out with Solberg joining the Championship this year; I'm sure a lot of additional interest has stemmed from that alone rather than their efforts.
Did they? Or did they help fate a bit?
Old 7 May 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3243919)   #59
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
I also agree Eurosport is a "bigger" channel, but Motors is free via a greater number of subscription packages and, although Motors is often criticised for heavily repeating programmes, at least it gives multiple opportunities to catch the coverage. Showing the programme at 7:30 in the morning means only those who get up early (or set the recorder) are going to see it; I can't see it bringing rallycross to that massive Eurosport audience at that time of the day. So in terms of channel choice, I personally see that as a step backwards.
Agreed Motors gives multiple opportunities to see things and I would say that is something Eurosport has always fallen down on. Motors might be available to more people but its very niche and the vast majority of people don't even know it exists. Just ask any of your mates who have a passing interest in motor sport and they'll look at you blankley.

The time wasn't great, but as the Lydden round was shown at lunchtime on the Saturday I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time round and say it must have been due to scheduling last weekend. If they persist with that time slot I'd agree that's not good. I still think most people record and watch later though, but yes its not going to catch the causal viewer.

I noticed somebody in an earlier post said it was moved due to something over running. Have to say it recorded ok for me, unlike the rallying I tried to record on Motors early Saturday am only to get an hour of 208 GTi Challenge thing, very irritating.
Old 7 May 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3243934)   #60
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen the footage about Lydden last sunday here in Belgium (Sport10). I must say this was very good! Next Sunday Portugal is on :-)
Old 7 May 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3244000)   #61
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Motors might be available to more people but its very niche and the vast majority of people don't even know it exists. Just ask any of your mates who have a passing interest in motor sport and they'll look at you blankley.
Is knowledge of its existence relevant? If IMG shouted loudly enough that the coverage was on Motors TV, I'm sure those with a passing interest would tune in.

I'm a member of a local car club and all of those who are interested in motor sport are regular watchers of Motors TV. There are three other chaps apart from me who followed the European Rallycross on Motors TV last year and, of the four of us, only one has British Eurosport. Up until this weekend he had no idea the ERX was on there: just that Motors were no longer showing it.

I appreciate thats a snapshot of a very small portion of the audience, but if the programmes changes channel (thus losing some of the core audience) and is shown at a silly time slot (where it is unlikely to pull in more casual viewers), I personally see that as a step backwards.

I have just managed to get hold of the Portugal coverage, so I'll be giving that a viewing tonight.
Old 7 May 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3244023)   #62
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Is knowledge of its existence relevant? If IMG shouted loudly enough that the coverage was on Motors TV, I'm sure those with a passing interest would tune in.

I'm a member of a local car club and all of those who are interested in motor sport are regular watchers of Motors TV. There are three other chaps apart from me who followed the European Rallycross on Motors TV last year and, of the four of us, only one has British Eurosport. Up until this weekend he had no idea the ERX was on there: just that Motors were no longer showing it.

I appreciate thats a snapshot of a very small portion of the audience, but if the programmes changes channel (thus losing some of the core audience) and is shown at a silly time slot (where it is unlikely to pull in more casual viewers), I personally see that as a step backwards.

I have just managed to get hold of the Portugal coverage, so I'll be giving that a viewing tonight.
Very true about knowledge of its existence and IMG shouting about it. From what I see though having Sky, you tend to see Eurosport self promoting things a lot more as opposed to Motors. I have spotted some adverts for the RX when watching ERC coverage and when just generally channel flicking and also adverts for Eurosport on some Sky channels. General ones that advertised a selection of their various sports, but rallycross was there none the less. It would be interesting to see the viewing figures at the end of the year versus the Motors ones from last year, that would be very telling I think.

As to people not knowing its on Eurosport, well that's down to IMG really and very poor if they're not getting the message out there. Most people with a passing interest in motor sport I know don't even release the amount of motor sport that is increasingly been shown on ITV4 let alone Eurosport. Other than F1 professional level motor sport does seem quite poor at getting the message out there.

I still think Eurosport is a step forward, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one . That's all providing IMG do their job and make people aware, at least then Eurosport can justify putting more into it and better time slots.
Old 7 May 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3244072)   #63
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMG were happy to shout about all the great TV contracts they had gained so surely now as a minimum there should be a full schedule listing on their website. I would also have thought Eurosport plus the other tv companies worldwide would also expect that. Obviously its not IMGs thought about the rubbish timings (if the idea is to gain new fans, how many casual viewers are going to set the timer?) but if Eurosport feel they cant sell prime time advertising space for the ERC then its down to IMG to promote it is it not?

Anyway i've set the planner for Sunday morning and hope to see a little more of the racing and a little less of Andy Scotts arms and crotch! Oh and Andrew Jordan is the second commentator. Good to see he is still involved with rallycross even if its not where id really like to see him, would be nice to have an English driver to shout for..

Solberg? A very convenient marketing tool.
Old 7 May 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3244079)   #64
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's on AB Motors in France......
Old 8 May 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3244216)   #65
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I still think Eurosport is a step forward, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one .
Agree to disagree? This is a forum, thats just not acceptable; we've got to at least squabble and engage in some name calling first!

Watched the round 2 coverage last night and, as before, I thought it was a decent programme. Also thought the commentary was good again as well; surprised to hear Andrew Jordan, but good that they managed to get a second commentator who knows his was round the cars again. Perhaps my imagination, but seemed to be a lot less lingering (pointless!) onboard shots?

With regards to the racing some good battles throughout. Solberg looked stupidly fast at times and if his reliability issues get ironed out then he is surely going to be the one to beat. Obviously its still very early days, but good to see the top drivers in each class so close on points.
Old 11 May 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3245682)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The programme has improved but does it matter if you are not able (at least not on a 100% legal way ) to watch it?

Why doesn't IMG put it on their Youtube channel after 1 week?
Old 13 May 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3246873)   #67
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally seen round 2 and definitely alot better, far better editing, or should I say far less editing making the racing far easier to follow. Good commentary again and good to hear interviews with other drivers instead of the usual few.
Now we just need more than the pathetic 90 seconds each for the other 2 classes, cant see how numbers will increase with such little coverage.

I think its unfair to say that its better than anything Motors has shown, its an IMG production so would have been the same which ever channel it was on except on Motors would probably have been on more times and at more sociable times. Anyway if IMG feel that the times Eurosport are putting it on will bring new fans and sponsors then who am I to argue.