Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Oct 2019, 21:51 (Ref:3936977)   #5476
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
FFord festival at Brands beckons followed by the WHT at Sillystone next weekend for me, enjoy Norfolk.
Spoilt for choice this weekend. Could have also chosen CSCC at Donington aswell..

Cheers. You too at Brands . Will be another cracking final. Enjoy
Old 26 Oct 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3936978)   #5477
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spent today at a very wet, cold Birkett. I do it just for fun.
Old 26 Oct 2019, 23:18 (Ref:3936988)   #5478
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Spent today at a very wet, cold Birkett. I do it just for fun.

I saw some parts of that on the live feed.

How many safety car periods in the end? I missed the last hour and have yet to gather the motivation to try to scroll through the recorded live stream.

Not that Donington was much better in the early afternoon. I think I probably had the best viewing opportunities sitting at home on the warm and dry.

I was surprised about how many cars seemed to be running without lights on - at both events.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 01:09 (Ref:3937015)   #5479
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Just googled. First answer was that they are FIA stripes, to distinguish the cars.

Says they were first used at Sebring in'63.

As I don't have a clue if correct take with pinch of salt .

Will
Thanks Will and Mike, all sounds very plausible. Of course you could just look at the number!
Old 27 Oct 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3937049)   #5480
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Thanks Will and Mike, all sounds very plausible. Of course you could just look at the number!
I did think that as well...... And those stripes are on the wrong side for Sebring pit wall, from memory, and most other circuits I can think of! Donington would work though......

Talking of recognising team cars, you get different sun strip, camera mount and mirror colours, to the extreme of two cars with polar opposite overall schemes. Love all that, but my fav was when Porsche sports cars were white with different colour noses or nose panels. Then there was the Gulf scheme on the little 908s for Targa Florio in 1971. One had a single orange arrow and the other two. Cool.....
Attached Thumbnails
1127940F-9B3F-40CA-9800-6756E30406CA.jpeg  

Last edited by Mike Bell; 27 Oct 2019 at 06:06.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 06:18 (Ref:3937052)   #5481
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Talking of Targa Florio, which along with Mille Miglia count amongst the events I would loved to have been involved in during their heydays, this is a good read....

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ios-golden-era
Old 27 Oct 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3937056)   #5482
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An interesting read. Would be nice to do the retro event but probably in to Mille Miglia money.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 07:54 (Ref:3937062)   #5483
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
An interesting read. Would be nice to do the retro event but probably in to Mille Miglia money.
I’m sure it wouldn’t be cheap, and a bit less competitive, I fear! Love the bit from ‘Quick Vic’ about locals not being keen to help one of his team mates as he didn’t speak Italian!

Talking of the race got me looking for books on the subject- found one that could be on the Xmas prezzie list......
Old 27 Oct 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3937068)   #5484
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
To expand on Will’s reply, which sounds spot on, appears they were to enable a pit crew to recognise individual team cars when they were painted the same colour. Hence painted on the fender that faced the pit wall. There is a suggestion also that two yellow stripes identified a rookie driver.....

Don’t forget clocks ‘fall back’ an hour tonight. Appears they do in Portugal as well, which is very civilised! Sure that will all change after brexit......
I seem to remember Portugal runs to the same time as UK, but clocks changed everywhere this morning.

Gerard, did you see the Eifel Tower 130th birthday show last night? Those Can-Can girls must have been very cold at about 11pm - they should have put a nice warm 'pull' on...

Amongst all the old pictures they showed I am surprised there was nothing of the Citroen advertising as the company is celebrating 100 years.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3937070)   #5485
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gerard, did you see the Eifel Tower 130th birthday show last night? Those Can-Can girls must have been very cold at about 11pm - they should have put a nice warm 'pull' on...
We need pics, links- don’t leave us in suspenders!
Old 27 Oct 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3937072)   #5486
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know you're getting old when....

.you read John's reference to Can Can as CanAm and sit there scratching your head for an appreciable time. D'oh!

Lovely stories from Vic there. Can't imagine today's F1 drivers enjoying such adventures.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Oct 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3937077)   #5487
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did the Trophio Florio retrospective 15 years ago in Rod Longtons Circuit Racing MGB, without even a speedo to help us with the tulip notes and still managed to win our class.

When we arrived at the hotel most of the competition were 911s & there were two of each car, one without a roll cage as the tulip notes were given out the day before & the rules forbade roll cages in any cars on the route prior to the actual event, so there were a lot of facsimile copies of race cars without roll cages used to recce the route.

Luckily there are kilometre posts on Sicilian roads, so we annotated our tulip notes. Some of the teams would graffiti scores out of 10 on the road before bends, but we were warned to ignore them as apparently some were altered to put the competition off. I just drove as fast as I could based on what I could see, unless there was a crowd then I was very circumspect.

The Sicilians are very passionate. We lost our exhaust somewhere up a mountain & that night a local gave it back to us in the pits. Also, supposedly it’s why MGs were painted red in period, so they would think they were Italian cars and let them past.
Attached Thumbnails
F3652B9F-C093-48A7-B222-887FE3AFB207.jpeg  
Old 27 Oct 2019, 10:13 (Ref:3937079)   #5488
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I can't see the world going wind power in the near future but I can see that source becoming more reliable due to the storage technology.
Which storage tech do you think will come to dominate?

Quote:
There will still be a need for gas so we need to get fracking and teach people that a few ground rumbles are not earthquakes!
There are suggestions that the UK political intention to ban the use of Gas boilers in new homes after 2030 should be brought forward to 2025.

I would suggest that that would mean the market for all gas devices - cookers too - would effectively cease to exist around 2035. Maintenance would no longer be a viable business proposition. There would be no reliable spare parts in the market and probably no one to (legally) undertake the maintenance.

The purpose of fracked gas would be what?

I have never read an opinion piece that suggest the US frackers have ever made any worthwhile profits - maybe never any profits at all.

IF fracking is viable in the UK I would guess that it will be after the green energy revolution has recognised its limitations and is desperate for some form of energy to allow people to cook and warm themselves in winter.

I will be dead by then so it won't matter to me. I can't start to guess what it might or might not mean to the grandchildren

Quote:

And we do have two petrol powered cars too.
That may not mean much of the greens get their way and politicians do what they are 'good' at.

However we should all live in Hope. Whatever that means if it is not a reference to the village in Derbyshire.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3937092)   #5489
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You know you're getting old when....

.you read John's reference to Can Can as CanAm and sit there scratching your head for an appreciable time. D'oh!

Lovely stories from Vic there. Can't imagine today's F1 drivers enjoying such adventures.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Vic Elford is a real joy to interview - all you need to do is switch the tape on, sit back & enjoy. A real gentleman too.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3937101)   #5490
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I did the Trophio Florio retrospective 15 years ago in Rod Longtons Circuit Racing MGB, without even a speedo to help us with the tulip notes and still managed to win our class.
Dr Rod, what a gentlemen he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Also, supposedly it’s why MGs were painted red in period, so they would think they were Italian cars and let them past.
This goes back to the Mille Miglia in 1937(?) when they noticed that the Italian police would make sure railway crossings and junctions were clear if a red car approached.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3937104)   #5491
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Which storage tech do you think will come to dominate?
There you have me since I'm eau fait with the various solutions, however I do know that the reports from the offshore farms (I'm looking at the business and technical reports) are advising that the main reason offshore wind is cheaper than anything else is because its availability is increasing due to storage capacity.

Quote:
There are suggestions that the UK political intention to ban the use of Gas boilers in new homes after 2030 should be brought forward to 2025.

The purpose of fracked gas would be what?
Energy, such as petrol and/or diesel.

Quote:
I have never read an opinion piece that suggest the US frackers have ever made any worthwhile profits - maybe never any profits at all.
They are currently making large profits since economies and improved technology has reduced production costs to around $30.00 per Bl.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3937114)   #5492
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There you have me since I'm eau fait with the various solutions, however I do know that the reports from the offshore farms (I'm looking at the business and technical reports) are advising that the main reason offshore wind is cheaper than anything else is because its availability is increasing due to storage capacity.

Energy, such as petrol and/or diesel.

They are currently making large profits since economies and improved technology has reduced production costs to around $30.00 per Bl.
Offshore wind generation is not cheap .
Greenpeace put up adverts claiming it was & the advertising Standards Authority made them take them down as it is a total lie .
The current costs for the newest offshore farms ,[ Hornsea 1 & a Scottish one I cant remember the name of ], is £158.75 per Mwh . Which is nearly 4 times the wholesale grid cost per unit energy .
But that doesnt stop the greenies lying .

Gas is used for a large proportion of the total electrical generation in this country , & has a major advantage in that costs considerably less than wind power , [ & Nuclear ] , but also is one of the quickest forms of generation to
build up to a stable grid output from starting . Which is very important if a blackout happens .

In Scotland , where they have gone for nearly all renewable energy , the Institute of Engineers are warning that blackouts will happen , & it will take days to get the grid going & stable again .
https://www.thegwpf.com/blackouts-de...h-to-go-green/
Old 27 Oct 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3937130)   #5493
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I did say it was raining; The Birkett Relay;
Attached Thumbnails
More Birkett (1).jpg   More Birkett (2).jpg   More Birkett (3).jpg  

More Birkett (7).jpg   More Birkett (5).jpg   More Birkett (6).jpg  

Old 27 Oct 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3937134)   #5494
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Tel:

Latest quotes are £52/MWH for wind. I'm not a fan by any means but I do know that investment is heading that way, big time, as they say.

I don't support Greenpeace or any other green NGO and indeed they do twist the truth to suit their own ends but, as I said, I do read the company reports and I'm afraid they tell me that offshore wind is less costly to produce than nuclear by some margin; and, fossil fuels by a smaller margin. This is because the construction costs are dramatically reduced from (say) two years ago.

The ability to divert from various farms around the coast is also a means of filling gaps. Do I like it? Not really since I've been in oil and gas for more years than I care to remember. But it is the future and it is almost upon us.

There are two upsides to offshore wind; 1, they provide a safe haven for fish where trawlers can't hoover them up; and 2, the offshore wind industry is filling the gap left by oil. Grimsby is a good example of the regeneration that is starting to happen due to the need for the same services the offshore platforms needed.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3937140)   #5495
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tel:

Latest quotes are £52/MWH for wind. I'm not a fan by any means but I do know that investment is heading that way, big time, as they say.

I don't support Greenpeace or any other green NGO and indeed they do twist the truth to suit their own ends but, as I said, I do read the company reports and I'm afraid they tell me that offshore wind is less costly to produce than nuclear by some margin; and, fossil fuels by a smaller margin. This is because the construction costs are dramatically reduced from (say) two years ago.

The ability to divert from various farms around the coast is also a means of filling gaps. Do I like it? Not really since I've been in oil and gas for more years than I care to remember. But it is the future and it is almost upon us.

There are two upsides to offshore wind; 1, they provide a safe haven for fish where trawlers can't hoover them up; and 2, the offshore wind industry is filling the gap left by oil. Grimsby is a good example of the regeneration that is starting to happen due to the need for the same services the offshore platforms needed.

As you say the " latest quotes " , are for something that they might build in the future , but by the time it is built , see what the prices are then .
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...rgy-bills.html
Link to news item of a few years ago , when the media were sometimes allowed to tell the truth .
The price then was £140 per Mwh , they are now paid £158.75 since they started working this year , And they are guaranteed that price for 15 years , which is about the max life for offshore turbines .
So , nearly 4 times the market price for energy , means that all of the offshore wind which is actually working is costing far more than other forms of energy generation .
Old 27 Oct 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3937160)   #5496
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good day at Snetterton . Good racing, little on the cold side though.

Everything from a Ford Mustang Mach 1 to a Dolomite and TVR Cerbera in Allcomers . Saunders in the cerb was great to see as had issues with car last 2 years. Best battle was between 3 Ascars.

GT's really good with Perera flying in the Lambo GT3. as he's a pro. Good grid and good way to end season.

One more meet for me which is the Britcar night with the debut of the new Brabham BT62 Supercar. Gonna be epic. Great to see name back as a manufacturer racing.

Hope all had good times at Donny and Brands over the weekend
Old 27 Oct 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3937186)   #5497
Willmaz223
Veteran

If anyone wasn't able to watch live . Footage from the CSCC Donington Night Races.

Day 1-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyl...EFmx4A&index=5

Day 2 should be on the channel home page.

Enjoy
Old 27 Oct 2019, 23:21 (Ref:3937216)   #5498
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

The SEAT from the Darkside boys looks like it may be fun when they have finished developing it.

I first came across them at an evening track session at Donington back in May. One of their runners was a normal looking Audi A5 diesel that seemed so well sorted that it easily kept up with fully liveried BMW M4s from a BMW driving experience stable.

Their YouTube channel is interesting - especially in connection with tuned turbo diesels.

The 633bhp Seat Arosa drag car is especially bonkers ...
Old 28 Oct 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3937296)   #5499
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He wasn't wrong ! Loads of photos to work through; will post link here soon.

First time at the Birkett and, despite the weather, we enjoyed it. It's slightly disconcerting to start with though - having got used to seeing a red Radical with a number on it, next thing you see is the same number on a different car
Old 28 Oct 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3937303)   #5500
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

This goes back to the Mille Miglia in 1937(?) when they noticed that the Italian police would make sure railway crossings and junctions were clear if a red car approached.
I think it goes back prior to that. When Mercedes won the Targa in 1922(Giulio Masetti) and 1924 (Christian Werner)) their cars were painted red..... to fool locals into thinking they were 'not foreigners' and to stop said locals from hurling rocks at their cars.

Mentioned here...
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...nz-innovation/

the 1924 winner:

Closed Thread