Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 2022, 01:52 (Ref:4096932)   #1051
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Having driven roadcars on 18" wheels since 2008... it is a logical next step to jump them at the next opportunity.. like now
Why change? Why is it better?

My previous car ran 19" wheels with 35 profile, and with tyres with a kevlar sidewall I destroyed 4 tyres in Sydney potholes in a year. I would have put 18" back on if they had fit over the brakes.

So I went for a nice SUV instead of the hot hatch and they gave me a free upgrade to 20" wheels

They look great and wreck the ride.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Feb 2022, 06:38 (Ref:4096937)   #1052
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 18" look a little too small. The production Mustang has usually 19", why has the racecar smaller wheels?
Old 1 Feb 2022, 22:54 (Ref:4097031)   #1053
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Why change? Why is it better?

My previous car ran 19" wheels with 35 profile, and with tyres with a kevlar sidewall I destroyed 4 tyres in Sydney potholes in a year. I would have put 18" back on if they had fit over the brakes.

So I went for a nice SUV instead of the hot hatch and they gave me a free upgrade to 20" wheels

They look great and wreck the ride.

19" sizing gives you a different construction option from providers to the various GT series around the world... instead of using a "1992 Sierra tyre" as it was regularly described
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Feb 2022, 22:55 (Ref:4097032)   #1054
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anybody would think the Gen3 car was being implemented this year with all the press articles and stories from drivers and footage on the official site...

Old 1 Feb 2022, 23:02 (Ref:4097035)   #1055
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
19" sizing gives you a different construction option from providers to the various GT series around the world... instead of using a "1992 Sierra tyre" as it was regularly described
That is a good reason.

Old 2 Feb 2022, 07:51 (Ref:4097065)   #1056
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anybody would think the Gen3 car was being implemented this year with all the press articles and stories from drivers and footage on the official site...
Is it detracting from the huge amount of other on-track activity that is happening?
Old 3 Feb 2022, 02:39 (Ref:4097179)   #1057
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Is it detracting from the huge amount of other on-track activity that is happening?
It creates the halo effect around new cars that will likely be completely ineffective next year as its impact is worn out...
Old 3 Feb 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4097211)   #1058
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A few people at work think they are racing Gen3 at SMP in a few weeks, they didn’t believe me when I said the Commodores are still running this year…

They are going to be disappointed next month, I wonder how many other casual watchers will be in the same boat?
Old 3 Feb 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4097220)   #1059
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
A few people at work think they are racing Gen3 at SMP in a few weeks, they didn’t believe me when I said the Commodores are still running this year…

They are going to be disappointed next month, I wonder how many other casual watchers will be in the same boat?
I had the same conversation. He couldn't wait to see the Camaro. A bit disappointed it won't be until next year.
Old 4 Feb 2022, 03:05 (Ref:4097316)   #1060
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
[The Gen2 engine] is about $150k by the time you get all the airbox, the manifold, all those sorts of bits and pieces, where these [Gen3 engines], we’ve got to make them about $60k to $70k
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/04...es-final-form/

So much for cutting costs! I'm still baffled they couldn't find a 5L Chevrolet crank (when 5L LS series engines do exist) to keep both engines at a 5L capacity.
Old 4 Feb 2022, 04:21 (Ref:4097322)   #1061
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/04...es-final-form/

So much for cutting costs! I'm still baffled they couldn't find a 5L Chevrolet crank (when 5L LS series engines do exist) to keep both engines at a 5L capacity.
The Ford is 5.4 litres.

Sounds to me like they've cut costs quite a bit (for now anyway).
Old 4 Feb 2022, 05:36 (Ref:4097326)   #1062
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was cutting costs a priority of Gen 3?
Old 4 Feb 2022, 07:21 (Ref:4097331)   #1063
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Was cutting costs a priority of Gen 3?
Showroom look, baked in parity, reduced costs, reduced aero for better overtaking potential. All to be able to attract other makes, I guess.

Old 4 Feb 2022, 08:27 (Ref:4097339)   #1064
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wish they were…
The current spec Mustang hasn’t looked right- the turret and the width (track) doesn’t work aesthetically and the new Camaro is simply beautiful to look at. It’s going to be awesome. Tired ZB Commodore again- irrelevant and obsolete. Let’s move on
Old 4 Feb 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4097341)   #1065
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Showroom look, baked in parity, reduced costs, reduced aero for better overtaking potential. All to be able to attract other makes, I guess.

Two that come to mind- Supra and Stinger (although it’s 4 door could be a candidate in the new kid on the block muscle stakes).
Left field- Aston Martin DB 9 and BMW M3
Old 4 Feb 2022, 15:09 (Ref:4097392)   #1066
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

To me it seemed like the priority was make the Mustang look like a Mustang and come up with something that get’s approval from GM to use the Camaro, then if there’s time see what you can do about costs.

They couldn’t even decide what gear shift to use, that shows where the “cars” themselves were in the priority queue
Old 5 Feb 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4097515)   #1067
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gear stick is here to stay, for "2023 and beyond" the Supercars press release states. The fans and most drivers are now happy.
one hellava life
Old 6 Feb 2022, 05:33 (Ref:4097533)   #1068
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Common sense prevails and it is nice to have one series that listens to fan and driver input over the big whigs.
Old 6 Feb 2022, 21:34 (Ref:4097600)   #1069
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Does testing of the prototypes now stop, awaiting fitment of a gearshift that some in the tower of power may have suggested wouldn’t fit in that car..
Old 6 Feb 2022, 22:17 (Ref:4097613)   #1070
one five five
Veteran

They may as well keep the “Commodore” for 2023 if they want to keep a gear stick……
Old 3 Apr 2022, 01:27 (Ref:4105207)   #1071
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So.... its kinda early to know what's going on exactly... but...

From Mr Whincup's 'Quarterly Review' with Mr Feeney... it was suggested that 888 are building 9 new Chevrolet Camaro Gen3 V8Supercars for next season..
Presumably that's 3x for 888, 2x for Team18, 2x for MSR, 2x for PremiAir

Mr Morris suggested on the most recent 'Enforcer & The Dude' episode, that PACE had nailed together 14x Gen3 chassis, presumably they could be either Ford or Chevrolet base chassis.

If there are 25 cars on the grid next year... it counts as at now as being 3 or 4 (if the series moves to 26 entrants) chassis (at least) short. (8x race 888 chassis, 14x race PACE chassis).

As ever, over at Secret Squirrel headquarters at V8Supercar HQ, nobody is saying anything, and no media seems to be asking the questions.

Are there some teams looking to fall out of the series next season.. or is there a 3rd chassis constructor source currently uncommunicated..

Yes.. its early.. but the stories round the back of the sheds suggest there may be a series of test sessions lined up to generate headlines before the end of the season...
Old 3 Apr 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4105213)   #1072
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just hope something is announced soon. But if teams are building cars that's a good start, especially if it's big names like 888. And if they are building it for others, so much the better

It's a big step for the series to make, but the signs are good so far. I think we will see a good healthy grid next year, it all depends on how many are built and if anymore join. Just hope we see enough variety

I don't know why the bosses of the series are saying nothing though, is everything under control? It is a bit uncertain. But if we get at least two makes and the competition is close then it will be good enough

Brave move for the series, so we'll see if they can pull it off. I am quite sure the series will continue to be strong either way
Old 3 Apr 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4105221)   #1073
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pace Innovations should sell the jigs to teams like BJR, Supercars surely own rights to the chassis, therefore the jigs.
It would create a better system if teams owned their own jigs, they could then build more chassis at a cheaper price, have a quicker turn around in case of crashes. They all have fabricators and they could be better utilized when things are quite.
Lets face it a race car is a disposable item, not a work of art. Racing is a contact sport.

Many NASCAR teams build their own chassis to a standard jig. Their cars are cheaper than the exotic gold plated, diamond encrusted Gen 3 supercars.
Old 3 Apr 2022, 23:32 (Ref:4105269)   #1074
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Pace Innovations should sell the jigs to teams like BJR, Supercars surely own rights to the chassis, therefore the jigs.]
BJR could be a chassis manufacturer if they wanted to be, but clearly they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
It would create a better system if teams owned their own jigs, they could then build more chassis at a cheaper price, have a quicker turn around in case of crashes. They all have fabricators and they could be better utilized when things are quite.
Lets face it a race car is a disposable item, not a work of art. Racing is a contact sport.
Just a utopian fantasy. Having lots of people making the same thing increases costs, having a few key, skilled manufacturers doing it can reduce costs.
Old 28 Apr 2022, 11:35 (Ref:4108312)   #1075
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Seamer now gone, Is there a chance Supercars will open up the engine regs and allow different configurations other than V8's? Assuming Craig Hasted can get similar torque curves - should be a no brainer.
Closed Thread