Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2020, 03:09 (Ref:3963732)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently it has been officially cancelled.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...to-coronavirus
Old 13 Mar 2020, 03:42 (Ref:3963736)   #52
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully an Evening with Joe is still going ahead.

Should be entertaining.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 08:05 (Ref:3963759)   #53
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon everyone involved knew this should have been postponed a while ago and certainly should have been canned the moment the positive test came in, but the FIA, FOM, track owner and regional Govt all wanted someone else to be the one to make the decision. It’s pathetic of course, but not at all surprising.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3963770)   #54
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No-one either wanted to be the one to pull it due to vested interests or be seen to be the one to pull out. The teams voted with their feet and ultimately, the fans lost out. Waiting until almost FP1 started to know was silly. Not handled as bad as Indy 2005, but not all that well either.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3963786)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
No-one either wanted to be the one to pull it due to vested interests or be seen to be the one to pull out. The teams voted with their feet and ultimately, the fans lost out. Waiting until almost FP1 started to know was silly. Not handled as bad as Indy 2005, but not all that well either.
I'd say it was far worse than Indy 2005. Indy they had no prior warning and the worst case is the fans lose out.

Today, they had weeks, if not months, of warning. And they were still unable to make a decision. Worst case scenario is the fans (and staff) have health issues.

The stakes were higher, the scenario was known before hand, and yet a decision could not be made. Excuse my French, but it was p*ss poor and an embarrassment.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:34 (Ref:3963798)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But it was always evolving. It does not represent the actual situation to say they had weeks, if not months. Not saying they were perfect, but here we are talking hours, if not days. Also allow for the fact that the logistics start so far ahead they must have felt pretty committed.

They did can China, were the situation was worse earlier and it was before any movement of cars or people to the region. They were one of the earliest sports to cancel an event.

If there is a case detected at a any regular place of work do we then condemn that company for not reacting quicker and closing? There is more potential due to international travel, but should we all shut up shop when there has been a case locally? It’s not an easy decision.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:46 (Ref:3963801)   #57
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have to agree with the post above. You are sort of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. After all, they probably get their advice from what the governments say
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:53 (Ref:3963802)   #58
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'd say it was far worse than Indy 2005. Indy they had no prior warning and the worst case is the fans lose out.
The outcome of the USGP in 2005 is exactly what should have happened. Bridgestone went too conservative with their tyres that year and were generally uncompetitive, not winning any of the other races that season. Michelin had a superior tyre for the majority of circuits, but not one suitable for Indianapolis.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3963815)   #59
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But it was always evolving. It does not represent the actual situation to say they had weeks, if not months. Not saying they were perfect, but here we are talking hours, if not days. Also allow for the fact that the logistics start so far ahead they must have felt pretty committed.

They did can China, were the situation was worse earlier and it was before any movement of cars or people to the region. They were one of the earliest sports to cancel an event.

If there is a case detected at a any regular place of work do we then condemn that company for not reacting quicker and closing? There is more potential due to international travel, but should we all shut up shop when there has been a case locally? It’s not an easy decision.
A very realistic and well thought out reaction to the situation, thank you. I have now readjusted my own knee-jerk & critical thoughts about the outcome.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3963817)   #60
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But it was always evolving. It does not represent the actual situation to say they had weeks, if not months. Not saying they were perfect, but here we are talking hours, if not days. Also allow for the fact that the logistics start so far ahead they must have felt pretty committed..
It was clear to almost everyone else few days ago that the event couldn’t happen. It was absolutely obvious once McLaren pulled out following a positive that there was no way the race could run. The decision-making in the last 48-72 hours was shambolic and indicative of buck-passing, vested-interest protecting, politics prioritised over fan and team safety, not to mention the appalling image it sent out.

I agree that it’s harsh to say F1 should have known and acted months, weeks or even one week ago. But the last few days was ugly compared to the decisiveness being shown by (bigger and smaller) sports elsewhere.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 13 Mar 2020 at 12:37.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3963830)   #61
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Today, they had weeks, if not months, of warning. And they were still unable to make a decision. Worst case scenario is the fans (and staff) have health issues.

The stakes were higher, the scenario was known before hand, and yet a decision could not be made. Excuse my French, but it was p*ss poor and an embarrassment.
I was at the Indy 2005 "race". Knew nothing until my brother texted me right before the start. A lot of F1 fandom in me left that day.

Countries and entities that have not dealt with this type of thing before have not fully followed examples of those that have. Now it feels like we're throwing hail marys at everything.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 13:05 (Ref:3963831)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, over the last few days. Even then though, after you’ve dragged the circus half way around the world and have hundreds or thousands of people wanting to come and see you the desire to try and run the event must be high.

Wrong decisions were made, but I’m not ready to crucify people over this.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 13:12 (Ref:3963836)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, over the last few days. Even then though, after you’ve dragged the circus half way around the world and have hundreds or thousands of people wanting to come and see you the desire to try and run the event must be high.

I agree. The totality of it is all unprecedented and has escalated recently, but there's a lot of leaders who haven't been leading much until they absolutely have to, which can make situations much, much worse. Not saying that's the specific case, here, so I digress, but time will tell.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3963840)   #64
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It was clear to almost everyone else few days ago that the event couldn’t happen. It was absolutely obvious once McLaren pulled out following a positive that there was no way the race could run. The decision-making in the last 48-72 hours was shambolic and indicative of buck-passing, vested-interest protecting, politics prioritised over fan and team safety, not to mention the appalling image it sent out.

I agree that it’s harsh to say F1 should have known and acted months, weeks or even one week ago. But the last few days was ugly compared to the decisiveness being shown by (bigger and smaller) sports elsewhere.
I broadly agree with the above. Particularly with respect to how F1 acted vs. other sports. I think it is an ongoing hard lesson for FOM (or whoever is running the show).

There is strategy popular in politics and business today that you just bully your way forward and steam roller your opponents. That required an opponent that will bend to your will or capitulate. Something like Coronavirus doesn't care (or even know) about your business strategy, politics, wishful thinking or willful ignorance.

Richard
Old 13 Mar 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3963862)   #65
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness, the NBA (the first domino) only cancelled about 36 hours prior to F1 making their decision.

the NBA and other leagues decision was made easier by virtue of their organizational structure where the teams/team owners sit on a board and the commissioner is their employee. the teams own the sport and their players and employees are unionized.

F1's decision probably would have come earlier had the time zones matched up better with the various board room across the world with which they have to coordinate with.

Claire Williams was probably the only one there capable to definitively speaking for her organization. Toto as much control as he has over the team still has a boss who currently has a lot more to worry about then an F1 race.

my guess is that the decision was made (or the path was clear) when Kimi and Seb left. good for them. in terms of news, yesterday was crazyballs and i know i could not wait to get home and hug my family.

F1 did exactly what like every other sport did give or take several hours.

F1 does not have the power of a supranational government. they can barley tell the local car club what to do...as evidenced by every race messed up by a locally appointed race steward.

Quote:
well thats your problem. you are supposed to want to crucify people!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3963868)   #66
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I guess its at times like this that the cold realisation at Liberty (and their shareholders) is that what they have actually bought of F1 - they don't own the circuits, the teams or the cars - without all of those they have no product...

Also bear in the mind that if what is reported is right - the FIA can effectively cancel the race unilaterally without any comeback if F1 cannot provide 12 cars for the race - which I believe is what effectively happened in Melbourne. So the rights holder (FOM) could have the race taken away from them by a majority of the teams pulling out of the race - even if FOM wanted to run it, the FIA can over rule as the ultimate owner of F1.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3963873)   #67
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
well thats your problem. you are supposed to want to crucify people!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3963876)   #68
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My feeling was that the indication was clear when McLaren said they would withdraw.After all,earlier in the week Ross Brawn said that if one team couldn't race then nobody would.I suspected this was to protect Ferrari at the time and I have a feeling that the intervening period would have been used to establish who was liable for the assorted costs of cancellation.

It also looks like Liberty will have quite a number of unused hours of satellite time in the coming weeks.Given the lack of development opportunities for the teams do we think that a test or two behind locked gates-with TV coverage might be to everybody's benefit?I expect all the design teams will be able to make a head start on cars for next season anyway.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3963885)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
haha. that was literally what i had going through my head when Adam mentioned crucifixion!!!

have also been thinking a lot about the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the words 'Don't Panic' written on it.

the importance of always knowing where your towel is because you can use it as a mask if needed. also you can put it over your head when the end of the world comes!

Last edited by chillibowl; 13 Mar 2020 at 15:57. Reason: spelling
Old 13 Mar 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3963888)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
It also looks like Liberty will have quite a number of unused hours of satellite time in the coming weeks.Given the lack of development opportunities for the teams do we think that a test or two behind locked gates-with TV coverage might be to everybody's benefit?I expect all the design teams will be able to make a head start on cars for next season anyway.
other streaming services are offing their platforms for free during the quarantine...so maybe other opportunities for the F1TV subscription to open up the archives for free and try to grow the audience base.

i think a test may be too much though given the travel and logistics involved.

but as far as the design teams and/or forward thinking teams that may be set up for working at home situations...the ability to be productive during this impromptu break could have some interesting and positive knock on effects.

cool thought P38!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3963951)   #71
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
other streaming services are offing their platforms for free during the quarantine...so maybe other opportunities for the F1TV subscription to open up the archives for free and try to grow the audience base.

i think a test may be too much though given the travel and logistics involved.

but as far as the design teams and/or forward thinking teams that may be set up for working at home situations...the ability to be productive during this impromptu break could have some interesting and positive knock on effects.

cool thought P38!
I think any service who doesn't discount or other free right now is completely insane. You literally will have captive audiences craving something new and not the news. Especially for sports who often own their back catalogs in various ways, except of course the NFL who sells every minute of footage to NFL Films for an insanely low number cause Ed Sabol was a genius. But they were bought out by the NFL so they pay each other for it
Old 13 Mar 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3963957)   #72
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
My feeling was that the indication was clear when McLaren said they would withdraw.After all,earlier in the week Ross Brawn said that if one team couldn't race then nobody would.I suspected this was to protect Ferrari at the time and I have a feeling that the intervening period would have been used to establish who was liable for the assorted costs of cancellation.

That was all about Ferrari when the possibly existed that they could not get their people out of Italy and in to Australia and actually RB should have invoked this when McLaren had to withdraw in the spirit of what he commited to pre-event.

Let's face it, they were all waiting for someone else to pull the trigger and take the fall and costs for cancelling.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 13 Mar 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3963966)   #73
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Thx for that. Needed a good laugh! And thanks for directions to crucifixion!!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 19:15 (Ref:3963985)   #74
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Thx for that. Needed a good laugh! And thanks for directions to crucifixion!!
Yeah, I think tonight is phone only if Morgan does want to watch something funny and fun. Media and even here might get a break, although honestly talking on here is a good distraction and compared to other places we've been quite civil and calm. With the usual exceptions but even they have been minor. We all love motorsport but that comes as the icing on the cake not the cake. Get back to normalcy and we can resume our regularly scheduled consumption of racing fuel.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3964009)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, I think tonight is phone only if Morgan does want to watch something funny and fun. Media and even here might get a break, although honestly talking on here is a good distraction and compared to other places we've been quite civil and calm. With the usual exceptions but even they have been minor. We all love motorsport but that comes as the icing on the cake not the cake. Get back to normalcy and we can resume our regularly scheduled consumption of racing fuel.

Brilliantly summed up. Found myself with other things to do too. Like doing more tennis coach shadowing today. Just need to work out what to do on Saturday and Sunday afternoon now. No need for panic though, just carry on doing what you can, when you can.