Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:18 (Ref:3592546)   #1
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Social Media flaming

Don't think I've ever started a thread before but I think this is worth its own discussion. Greg Rust put a post up this morning about the social media flaming of drivers / teams after the weekend at Phillip Island:
https://www.facebook.com/Thrusta1/posts/459942554193683

I couldn't agree with him more and when you look at the comments on the post (with the odd well-known name) it seems that plenty of others agree with him too. I've seen this shared on quite a few people's FB pages today.

We get the odd bit of edge on here but it sounds like some people go really over the top on social media and do so under their own name rather than the aliases we're lucky enough to have here.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:29 (Ref:3592548)   #2
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the bogan element who live and die by their favourite manufacturers success or failure are usually at the heart of it.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:30 (Ref:3592550)   #3
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
We get the odd bit of edge on here but it sounds like some people go really over the top on social media and do so under their own name rather than the aliases we're lucky enough to have here.
Implying people on facebook use their real names
Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:36 (Ref:3592552)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
And the bogan element who live and die by their favourite manufacturers success or failure are usually at the heart of it.
Yes?
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:50 (Ref:3592561)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Yeah, usually pseudonyms like Gazza FordBurnouts etc.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 03:53 (Ref:3592563)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Sadly, the badge seems to be the catalyst for most it.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 04:03 (Ref:3592568)   #7
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Sadly, the badge seems to be the catalyst for most it.
One of my favourite examples is where some Neanderthal will bag and personally insult a rival manufacturers driver, however when that driver becomes one of his favourite manufacturers drivers, he becomes god overnight.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 04:23 (Ref:3592574)   #8
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno, maybe it's me, but I don't see the blind brand loyalty that existed in the 2000's. I reckon you can put it down to constant driver moves and more marques joining the grid.

As far as social media flaming is concerned, I thinks its pretty par for the course no matter what sport you're talking, not sure V8s witness any more or less than anyone else.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 05:15 (Ref:3592585)   #9
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
facebook seems to be rife with ****tards, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised its full of shitty comments
Old 23 Nov 2015, 05:39 (Ref:3592587)   #10
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I dunno, maybe it's me, but I don't see the blind brand loyalty that existed in the 2000's. I reckon you can put it down to constant driver moves and more marques joining the grid.
Agree. For me the 888 migration to Holden stands out.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:15 (Ref:3592612)   #11
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
honestly, the media have spent two decades beating up the "tribal" aspect of the sport, talking up the conflict, dumbing down the sport, and when it manifests itself at critical mass as a self-sustaining and feeding phenomenon, they complain?

*shakes head*

Not that I condone the sort of carry-on that Thrusta's talking about, but sheesh!
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3592616)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the problem is that the things are not moderated and thus people know they can get away with things.

I do find it amusing that I cope insults on social media from people on here. talking about bogans
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:30 (Ref:3592617)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While i'm in agreeance that Fb trash talking and so on is not the sort of thing i'm into....

...surely Frosty has a tougher skin than all of this. The 'haters' that motor racing drivers have to deal with is kids stuff compared to what alot of other celebrities deal with.

I thought it was an odd thing for him to bring up in his interviews at the end of qualifying and again at the end of the race. Just get on with winning the championship.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3592633)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah if he was a cricketer they'd be burning him in effigy. Harden up sunshine.

Just some ******s behind a keyboard. Whincup has copped much worse over the years and he gives zero ****s.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 11:15 (Ref:3592645)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah true there are many that don't. Also plenty that do - let's call it a draw.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3592747)   #16
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yeah true there are many that don't. Also plenty that do - let's call it a draw.
I think you'll find there are more fake accounts/accounts without correct names than genuine accounts, at more than 2 to 1
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3592766)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I think you'll find there are more fake accounts/accounts without correct names than genuine accounts, at more than 2 to 1
facebook claims its 8.3% fake accounts. Reckon you are making things up
Old 23 Nov 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3592798)   #18
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fake accounts may be different to fake names Pecky...
Old 23 Nov 2015, 22:32 (Ref:3592807)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Wait, is your name really Mayhem? or stealthy really stealthy?

so its the same on here, nothing new there

however a fake name makes it hard to interact on facebook with the rest of your friendship circle
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:28 (Ref:3592825)   #20
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Doesn't matter what type of account it is, its the content of the messages that matter.

Anyway fb's real id policy is just a con so they can try and track you more.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3592828)   #21
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Doesn't matter what type of account it is, its the content of the messages that matter.

Anyway fb's real id policy is just a con so they can try and track you more.
There are ways around that
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3592838)   #22
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Wait, is your name really Mayhem? or stealthy really stealthy?

so its the same on here, nothing new there

however a fake name makes it hard to interact on facebook with the rest of your friendship circle
I dont disagree with you, I just think Facebook may be playing with their wording there in regards to fake accounts v fake names.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3593148)   #23
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately social media provides the uneducated and ill-informed with an avenue to express their opinion (just like forums really)

The trash that has been posted on FB and other "fan sites" and forums is, in some respects, nothing short or cyber-bullying.

I'm staggered (but not surprised) at the level and amount of of personal abuse and attacks directed at individuals in the sport.

But it seems to happen at all levels of all sports right across the community

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 25 Nov 2015, 04:27 (Ref:3593171)   #24
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redesp View Post
Unfortunately social media provides the uneducated and ill-informed with an avenue to express their opinion (just like forums really)

The trash that has been posted on FB and other "fan sites" and forums is, in some respects, nothing short or cyber-bullying.

I'm staggered (but not surprised) at the level and amount of of personal abuse and attacks directed at individuals in the sport.

But it seems to happen at all levels of all sports right across the community
and unfortunately those uneducated and ill-informed are not always just the ones behind the keyboard/remotes:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226510493300
Old 25 Nov 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3593174)   #25
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but from more than 3 years ago...