Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Dec 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3174637)   #1
andre56
Rookie

andre56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Training Aid

Hi guys,

Just looking for some feedback for a project I am working on. I am a designer and I am part of a team working on a training aid for racing drivers in club level racing with a low budget for equipment. The aim is to provide technology similar to that used in formula 1 in a low budget and new, intuitive way. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and could genuinely influence what will hopefully be a product on the market. It's still in early stages so excuse the lack of focus.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions it would be very helpful.

-Firstly what class do you race in?
-When training/practicing, what are the most important aspects to establish in preparation for a race. (Racing line, Braking points, Corner speed etc.)
-Do you currently use an in car radio?
-What information does an engineer need to tell you during a race or training, or what you need to tell them? (Tyre wear, tech faults etc.)
-Do you use an on board camera and if so where is it fixed?
-Do you have access to live telemetry information during a race or training?
-What safety equipment what do you currently use? (Helmet, HANS System/Neck Support, Race suit etc.)
-What you would want to see in a training aid, any suggestions.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Old 4 Dec 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3175049)   #2
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre56 View Post
Hi guys,

Just looking for some feedback for a project I am working on. I am a designer and I am part of a team working on a training aid for racing drivers in club level racing with a low budget for equipment. The aim is to provide technology similar to that used in formula 1 in a low budget and new, intuitive way. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and could genuinely influence what will hopefully be a product on the market. It's still in early stages so excuse the lack of focus.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions it would be very helpful.

-Firstly what class do you race in?
-When training/practicing, what are the most important aspects to establish in preparation for a race. (Racing line, Braking points, Corner speed etc.)
-Do you currently use an in car radio?
-What information does an engineer need to tell you during a race or training, or what you need to tell them? (Tyre wear, tech faults etc.)
-Do you use an on board camera and if so where is it fixed?
-Do you have access to live telemetry information during a race or training?
-What safety equipment what do you currently use? (Helmet, HANS System/Neck Support, Race suit etc.)
-What you would want to see in a training aid, any suggestions.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hi Andre

In order:
  • A variety - but usually in either a Crossle 9S or a Ginetta Historic Formula Ford. If you're who I think you are, you might know its first owner...
  • Racing line, followed by basic car set-up
  • No
  • It would be nice to know tyre temps and pressures. I occasionally do longer races in the Crossle and fuel state/consumption would be useful here
  • Yes - forward facing on roll over hoop
  • Helmet, suit, HANS, knee pad (I know, I'm a softy)
  • Data overlay on video, as per V-Box. Predictive lap timing. An obvious indication of where time is lost on laps. Easy to use. Robust. Small. Low power draw.
Cheers, Paul
Old 7 Dec 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3176305)   #3
andre56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
Hi Andre

In order:
  • A variety - but usually in either a Crossle 9S or a Ginetta Historic Formula Ford. If you're who I think you are, you might know its first owner...
  • Racing line, followed by basic car set-up
  • No
  • It would be nice to know tyre temps and pressures. I occasionally do longer races in the Crossle and fuel state/consumption would be useful here
  • Yes - forward facing on roll over hoop
  • Helmet, suit, HANS, knee pad (I know, I'm a softy)
  • Data overlay on video, as per V-Box. Predictive lap timing. An obvious indication of where time is lost on laps. Easy to use. Robust. Small. Low power draw.
Cheers, Paul
Thank Paul, it's a real help.

A lot of the points you mentioned are in line with our research/ideas which is good, shows we're on the right track. We have been playing around with the use of LED's as a method of delivering information without having to take your eyes off the road. One idea we are quite keen on is the use of LED's in your peripheral vision as an indicator for certain information, lap time for example, where a green light would indicate you are up on your PB, red that you are down on your PB. We have some user testing of the idea planned but would like some first impression feedback.

Thanks
Old 7 Dec 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3176307)   #4
andre56
Rookie

And sorry, can I ask why you don't use a radio system? Is it budget or you just don't feel it would be very useful?

Thanks
Old 7 Dec 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3176335)   #5
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of race series at club level ban the use of radios. I know Formula Ford does.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3176338)   #6
andre56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
A lot of race series at club level ban the use of radios. I know Formula Ford does.
Oh I see, sorry wasn't aware of that. We'll have to look a bit further into restrictions.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3176347)   #7
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whilst for race meetings yes radio is banned, on a free test day you could do what you want, but as a setup it becomes a cost/vs improvement equation, its a no brainer if its something you "must have" say F3 upwards, but when you consider something exclusively for test days im guessing most people would see benefits in spending >£1k elsewhere than they would being able to talk to their engineer in real time rather than post session.
Old 8 Dec 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3176551)   #8
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank Paul, it's a real help.

A lot of the points you mentioned are in line with our research/ideas which is good, shows we're on the right track. We have been playing around with the use of LED's as a method of delivering information without having to take your eyes off the road. One idea we are quite keen on is the use of LED's in your peripheral vision as an indicator for certain information, lap time for example, where a green light would indicate you are up on your PB, red that you are down on your PB. We have some user testing of the idea planned but would like some first impression feedback.

Thanks
Pleasure. As above, radio usage is banned for the single seater stuff. I've done a couple of longer races in which it would have been useful, but not worth the purchase price given how rarely it would be used.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3177548)   #9
andre56
Rookie

Ok thanks for all the replies guys. So without radio how are you guys told any information you may need to know, is it just through the pit boards? And do you know your lap time then every lap? Do the track's have official timing equipment?
Old 11 Dec 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3177681)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok thanks for all the replies guys. So without radio how are you guys told any information you may need to know, is it just through the pit boards? And do you know your lap time then every lap? Do the track's have official timing equipment?
official timing only tends to work for race weekends, test day it is not used. info on pitboards session time/laps left. time vs competitors etc.

most Data logger/displays will give laptime every lap and can show comparison against best time. small timing modules are available to give this information if no datalogger is fitted.

what is it your planning to invent? are you certain it hasnt been done before?