Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Nov 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3942380)   #151
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mods could change the title of the thread to just the Asian Le Mans Series, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I'm not sure how the RW Onroaks are being allowed to race tomorrow when they've not competed any laps in testing or FP or Q, and there is no warm-up, but hey let em be there
If I understood the translation correctly ARC Bratislava effectively helped their drivers to qualify for the race, so the chassis not dying any previous mileage is apparently not an issue
https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/as...is-solidaires/
Old 24 Nov 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3942567)   #152
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Mods could change the title of the thread to just the Asian Le Mans Series, yes?

If I understood the translation correctly ARC Bratislava effectively helped their drivers to qualify for the race, so the chassis not dying any previous mileage is apparently not an issue
https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/as...is-solidaires/
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3943084)   #153
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
So the winner of Shanghai race was not the first to see the flag. Am I right? Perhaps the ACO reality is in the suffering.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 23:07 (Ref:3943086)   #154
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
So the winner of Shanghai race was not the first to see the flag. Am I right? Perhaps the ACO reality is in the suffering.

It’s appears to be Carlin’s fault. If they can’t work out their driver times in the race to stay within the rules well that’s no one else’s doing.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3943194)   #155
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get in early to get your tickets for The Bend round if you want the best deal , like to know what support races are on, if any?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3943412)   #156
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Finally managed to watch the race and I have to say I enjoyed it much more than any other involving (modern) ACO cars for a long time. Despite the eventual penalty for the race winner, the P2 battle was rather interesting and partly even exciting between Dallara-Oreca-Oak. The two-class P2 was neither a boring spec-Oreca-parade like in the ELMS or soulless bop nonsense like in 98% of the other categories, including the success-penalty-P1 dire, DPi and upcoming Hypercar mess. So comparatively speaking, for what there is in offer right now, it's not bad at all.

Now, speaking of the end result, I don't even remember the last time I really cheered for a win so much the last time, so it felt really bad seeing the Carlin win stripped away... as well as the fake "Aurus" Oreca winning and taking headlines for non-manufacturer, add in Rusinov's struggles... but as I always say, rules are rules and I rather have the organizers force them fully, and not just let people off the hook. In the end, Carlin did mess it up themselves. Someone in the SC365 comments said "More and more it gets similar to Nascar" yet this is exact opposite of NASCAR trash, up there Carlin would have kept the win in order to "not confuse fans" and only got some team points taken away... that's much worse...

In the legacy P2s, the RW Oak team never doing any mileage prior to the race but still coming second after gremlins for Bratislava, which had been faster than the eventual winning RLR Oreca 05... it was somewhat nostalgically old school how it all turned out. I still wish someone was running Judd, but speaking of 05, I only now remembered how much I liked the looks of it, just as I did the original Rebellion-Oreca P1. It'somewhat ironic that the car is somewhat of a rarity nowadays with the spec 07 being so common.

Goodwin, the awkward pit reporter as well as JLOC's own driver calling the team a "newcomer" in Asian Le Mans Series made me laugh when it was indeed JLOC that won the very first ASLMS event in Okayama 2009... as well as qualified for pole in the next event in 2010... maybe they should do some research further into the past sometimes

The worst part about the weekend was clearly the TV production. The director missed a lot of things, stream was horribly over-saturated (the long straight shot was especially painful to look at), and of course as said the ASLMS pit reporter lady still is awkward to look at. The positive thing was that they did cover the old-gen-P2 class on TV pretty nicely, which could have been ignored pretty easily in other circles.

Anyway, Bend should be pretty good, especially as it's also much more interesting track than the definition of sterile that is Shanghai International Circuit.

Last edited by Deleted; 28 Nov 2019 at 15:38.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3943429)   #157
Deleted
Veteran

I have updated the tables & P2's been splitted for statistical legacy purposes

Old 29 Nov 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3943607)   #158
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Suzuka Set To Open Asian Le Mans Series’ 2020/21 Season

This is good news for the series. Nice to see prototypes at Suzuka again.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...21-season.html
Old 29 Nov 2019, 11:53 (Ref:3943630)   #159
Deleted
Veteran

Yes and almost anything in Asia is more interesting than Fuji Boreway and Yawnhai International Circuit.

(Okay maybe Buddh and Korea are worse)
Old 29 Nov 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3943708)   #160
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Goodwin, the awkward pit reporter as well as JLOC's own driver calling the team a "newcomer" in Asian Le Mans Series made me laugh when it was indeed JLOC that won the very first ASLMS event in Okayama 2009... as well as qualified for pole in the next event in 2010... maybe they should do some research further into the past sometimes

The worst part about the weekend was clearly the TV production. The director missed a lot of things, stream was horribly over-saturated (the long straight shot was especially painful to look at), and of course as said the ASLMS pit reporter lady still is awkward to look at. The positive thing was that they did cover the old-gen-P2 class on TV pretty nicely, which could have been ignored pretty easily in other circles.

Evening - a few observations.

My personal view is that the one-off races in 2009/10 - whilst called a 'series' really weren't - I also regularly referred to JLOC as a long-standing stalwart of racing in Japan, and to their Le Mans appearances.

Ref the TV production - entirely and utterly out of our hands - long, long story, not mine to tell - but suffice it to say that there will be a MASSIVE step up in January for The Bend.

I agree, and so do the entire Asian LMS TV crew, that the standard was not nearly up to scratch in Shanghai - and you are right about the white balance on the long shot down the back straight - not good enough.

On the pit reporting - it may help you to understand that during the entire race the pit reporter could not hear anything from the production studio - communication was managed entirely by hand signals off air. In the circumstances Nadia and her crew did an amazing job - not at all surprising she looked a little on-edge at a moment or two.

One final thing - I much, MUCH prefer "Graham" to "Goodwin" - maybe it's the memories of school discipline that have me still finding the use of my surname in isolation as a bit jarring!
Old 29 Nov 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3943725)   #161
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Evening - a few observations.

My personal view is that the one-off races in 2009/10 - whilst called a 'series' really weren't - I also regularly referred to JLOC as a long-standing stalwart of racing in Japan, and to their Le Mans appearances.

Ref the TV production - entirely and utterly out of our hands - long, long story, not mine to tell - but suffice it to say that there will be a MASSIVE step up in January for The Bend.

I agree, and so do the entire Asian LMS TV crew, that the standard was not nearly up to scratch in Shanghai - and you are right about the white balance on the long shot down the back straight - not good enough.

On the pit reporting - it may help you to understand that during the entire race the pit reporter could not hear anything from the production studio - communication was managed entirely by hand signals off air. In the circumstances Nadia and her crew did an amazing job - not at all surprising she looked a little on-edge at a moment or two.

One final thing - I much, MUCH prefer "Graham" to "Goodwin" - maybe it's the memories of school discipline that have me still finding the use of my surname in isolation as a bit jarring!
Appreciate the answer!

It is true that the the events held at the turn of the decade were more of... isolated anomalies than series as per say, but especially since they intended those races to form a series, I personally do not want to discount them out. The first race was planned for 2008 already remember. It didn't really work out as planned of course, but I don't think many things worked for the Asian market for a long time after that anyway. Also more importantly, JLOC would probably never had the chance to even be at Le Mans for their final 2010 outing, had it not been for the auto invite they earned from Okayama 2009. Thus, even their history at Sarthe is partly linked to ASLMS.

I was wondering if the white balance was just issue regarding the stream feed itself, or the entire broadcast and what you coulf see... But yes I'm sure the TV will get worked out for the next one.

For a positive comment regarding the pits work, I would say that it was nice they didn't really have to repeat the questions and everyone heard what the other person said, despite the noise levels from trackside.

Alright Graham!
Old 15 Dec 2019, 13:29 (Ref:3946834)   #162
Deleted
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...xt-season.html

Just goes to show how ACO does not understand the appeal of this championship at all. The only reason European teams - which make almost the entire LMP2 grid - are there at all is because of the LM invites they otherwise would probably never get. If the teams have reasons to doubt the grid won't be big and thereafter less invites are given, they're not going to come over. And if only one entry is granted (and the wording of that article is accurate) then the team winning the Non-Spec-P2 category receives absolutely nothing. So they are essentially digging up their own grave for no reason.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3946839)   #163
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...xt-season.html

Just goes to show how ACO does not understand the appeal of this championship at all. The only reason European teams - which make almost the entire LMP2 grid - are there at all is because of the LM invites they otherwise would probably never get. If the teams have reasons to doubt the grid won't be big and thereafter less invites are given, they're not going to come over. And if only one entry is granted (and the wording of that article is accurate) then the team winning the Non-Spec-P2 category receives absolutely nothing. So they are essentially digging up their own grave for no reason.
Hi, firstly - the wording is accurate - secondly - we don't yet know there will be a class for the pre-2017 LMP2s yet for next season (this does not apply to the current season) - Thirdly - the LMP2 teams that signed up this year are fighting for one place as they would be if there was no change in numbers next year.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3946841)   #164
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Hi, firstly - the wording is accurate - secondly - we don't yet know there will be a class for the pre-2017 LMP2s yet for next season (this does not apply to the current season) - Thirdly - the LMP2 teams that signed up this year are fighting for one place as they would be if there was no change in numbers next year.
If the old cars were ditched I think my interest levels would drop by 75%. 100% if the stupid spec tires are mandated too like in WEC and ELMS.

The third point, yes I know that, I was referring to the old car auto invite (per the article: If the rule had been implemented for this season it would have seen one fewer entry awarded to the combined LMP2/ LMP2 Am grid (a combined total of 11 cars)
Old 9 Jan 2020, 05:19 (Ref:3950548)   #165
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, a race is coming up this weekend. We'll see how this goes with the new circuit.
Old 9 Jan 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3950691)   #166
Deleted
Veteran

It's a disappointing entry with no local guest entries. There's also 6-car non-championship support series for local Australian prototypes which could've easily been integrated to the grid (or at least invited them, much as with the Porsche Cup at Shanghai 2018) instead of making it utterly pointless like this

Anyway, of course our hearts should be with the awful fires roaming on the other parts of the continent
Old 10 Jan 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3950824)   #167
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's a disappointing entry with no local guest entries. There's also 6-car non-championship support series for local Australian prototypes which could've easily been integrated to the grid (or at least invited them, much as with the Porsche Cup at Shanghai 2018) instead of making it utterly pointless like this

Anyway, of course our hearts should be with the awful fires roaming on the other parts of the continent
There's actually a few locals racing in both LMP3 and LMP2 - by my count 6-7 I think. No "all Oz" cars though.

The local prototypes are Radicals and Wolf primarily, combined with production cars. The local "prototypes" are not set up for in-race refuelling as a starting point and I think that this by itself has stopped any consideration of adding them to the ALMS field.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 11:46 (Ref:3950825)   #168
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There's actually a few locals racing in both LMP3 and LMP2 - by my count 6-7 I think. No "all Oz" cars though.

The local prototypes are Radicals and Wolf primarily, combined with production cars. The local "prototypes" are not set up for in-race refuelling as a starting point and I think that this by itself has stopped any consideration of adding them to the ALMS field.
Yes I meant primarly local (LMP3) cars

Alright thanks that's sufficient explanation
Old 10 Jan 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3950855)   #169
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Yes I meant primarly local (LMP3) cars
Is there any LMP3 in Australia? Not those racing in Asian LMS meeting indeed.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3950876)   #170
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Fast class times/speeds for Friday:
LMP2- 2:36.496 (111.062 mph), Ligier P217
LMP2-AM- 2:46.312 (104.507 mph), Oreca 05
LMP3- 2:53.378 (100.286 mph), Norma M30
GT- 2:59.913 (96.607 mph), Lamborghini Hurucan GT3

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/01/10...e-at-the-bend/

A number of comments about the "driving challenge" of the track, while Ross Gunn in the Aston thinks traffic will be a "mess", especially in Sector 2, with overtaking generally being "difficult". Van Gisbergen noted the 30-second-a-lap difference between LMP2 and GT. It's also mentioned more than once the importance of the current LMP2 levels of downforce in actually making any kind of lap time.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/asia...s-at-the-bend/
Old 10 Jan 2020, 23:26 (Ref:3950953)   #171
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Is there any LMP3 in Australia? Not those racing in Asian LMS meeting indeed.

There’s no local LMP3 cars..yet..Only one announced car for the local LMP3 series so far. I’m surprised we didn’t see any local GT entries as there’s plenty of cars here. Some teams would be busy prepping for Bathurst 12hr at months end but thats certainly not the majority.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 00:21 (Ref:3950954)   #172
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Here's a link for the Qualifying stream which will be coming up in a few hours. This will basically be the first proper look we get at the cars going around the Long Course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnv...E&pbjreload=10
Old 11 Jan 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3950972)   #173
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Fast class imes/speeds of the weekend:
LMP2- 2:35.418 (111.833 mph), Practice 2
LMP2-Am- 2:43.235 (106.477 mph), Qualifying
LMP3- 2:50.802 (101.760 mph), Qualifying
GT- 2:56.109 (98.693 mph), Qualifying

And my bad from earlier. I had the Practice 1 times, but just found the P2 times, which changes things just a bit. And LMP3 and LMP2 Qualifying both had red flags.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 00:29 (Ref:3951110)   #174
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The stream starts in 90 minutes, the race itself in 2 hours or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDF...I&pbjreload=10
Old 14 Jan 2020, 07:14 (Ref:3951522)   #175
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at the track and really enjoyed the race . Went for a ride in the Brabham (wow!) those P2 cars are awesome and also spoke to ACO Boss who confirmed that convergence talks regarding Hypercar and DPi are “a secret”. Fillon also went for a ride in the Brabham BT62. Better than the B12 I reckon! Hope it is on next year (or WEC?).