Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2183169)   #1
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Eurosport going HD, SD channels will be 16:9 (Widescreen)

I think this news has been around for a while but I missed it.

Eurosport is going to launch a HD channel on the 25th May, at the same time the SD channels will be going 16:9. So what does this mean for us Motorsport fans, well if it is on time it looks like the Porsche Supercup will be the first motorsport broadcast in widescreen. About HD content, I understand a HD feed was (and maybe still is) produced for the WTCC in 2005, but was only broadcast by a channel called Euro1080 (which we can't get in the UK), I am sure they will still have the same equipment as then. So the WTCC will probably be the first Motorsport broadcast in HD, anybody fancy Le Mans in HD?

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/?p=3976

The thing that worries me is that in all the Media stuff I have seen, only Eurosport International has been mentioned. I hope that British Eurosport is updated at the same time, I am prepared to be disappointed though...

It would be nice to see if Martin Haven knows anything about this .

Last edited by Knowlesy; 23 Apr 2008 at 18:03.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2183188)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thank heavens. Eurosports bit rate is pathetic on Sky. The HD channel should sort that! It also might get me to watch it again.

Now if only MotorsTV could have an increase in bit rate. and 16:9. and (massive unrealistic statement) HD!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2183283)   #3
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume we will have to pay extra to receive this channel? Like all other HD channels.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2183287)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah and you need to buy a better telly too!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2183303)   #5
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Yeah you do, but everybody will benfit from the standard definition channels going to 16:9 aspect. I think that Eurosport's MotoGP coverage loses viewers to the BBC because of the picture being 4:3. IMO the commentary is much better on Eurosport, but I like widescreen so I often end up watching the BBC instead.

I can not wait for HD (because I can watch it at my nans) and SD 16:9.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2184280)   #6
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To date, there are no plans for British Eurosport or british Eurosport 2 to go HD, or 16:9.

The simple problem is that the change will require another distinct channel from Sky (like Sky1 is mirrored by Sky1HD etc) and - like Sky, you'd probabbly have to subscribe...

Given the problems there are going to be when the government starts turning off old folks' normal TV signals, I'm not sure any broadcaster is ready to leap completely into the HD boat, especially as HD TVs are rarer than exciting F1 races!

So, for now, BE and BE2 remain in 4:3 and normal old lo-fi...

Eurosport International will launch 16:9 HD for the French Open and already some countries have signed up distribution deals (lucky old Israeli fans, say I...) but we can't get it here. Yet.

WTCC is shot, edited and transmitted in HD, by the way. But your trannies just get it in mono... like Radio Luxembourg!
Old 22 Apr 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2184304)   #7
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HD channels will kick off big time when the analouge channels are finally shut down as the amount of bandwidth available will increase along with the strength of current freeview stations.

There are apparently moves to start broadcasting HD on freeview from this summer and plans for a PS3 gizmoto let you record it onto your console.

As for HD being rare I think anyone buying a TV today would be opting for at least a 720p HDTV if not a 1080p as they are dropping in price dramatically. I bought a 37" 1080p for £499 with 5 years warranty and its excellent.

Blu-ray movies look stunning and as soon as motorsport makes its way to HD im going to be dropping my jaw - golf and footy already broadcast HD too btw
Old 22 Apr 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2184371)   #8
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most motorsport is already made in HD - F1, Nascar, Touring Cars, ALMS, Indycar, FIA GT and MotoGP.

It's just the we don't see it that way.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2184373)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
While HD is in the minority at the moment. I think we have seen enough to see that it is the future (thank god, for once an improvement in quality is happening in life!). It was never going to take off overnight.

It is a shame British Eurosport isn't going HD or 16:9. It is a loss of quality for us. Eurosport is currently a poor quality (on Sky, at least). It is compressed to buggery and IMHO is barely acceptable. Until it improves I will be keeping my Eurosport viewing to a minimum.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2184381)   #10
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It is a shame British Eurosport isn't going HD or 16:9. It is a loss of quality for us. Eurosport is currently a poor quality (on Sky, at least). It is compressed to buggery and IMHO is barely acceptable. Until it improves I will be keeping my Eurosport viewing to a minimum.
HD certainly looks like the future, as Compact Cassettes once were... and vinyl... I'm sure my kids will one day be explaining what that flaky old HD TV thing was all about...

As for not going HD being a loss of quality... how do you figure that? The quality stays the same. OK, you might not reckon it to be up to much, but maintaining the status quo until it's economically viable to change is not a loss of quality.

Still, anything that ups the quality gets two big thumbs up from me...

Like my stereo commentaries...
Old 22 Apr 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2184383)   #11
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Most motorsport is already made in HD - F1, Nascar, Touring Cars, ALMS, Indycar, FIA GT and MotoGP.

It's just the we don't see it that way.
And WTCC...
Old 22 Apr 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2184403)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it's a loss of quality compared to what we could have for sure. Not to say we're going backwards in quality, we're just not going forward here.

A shame. I so wanted to see the Eurosport 2 news ticker in glorious HD, but to expect them to do this for us lot when they are yet to figure out such concepts as 'time' and 'schedules' is, I fear, a bridge too far.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2184412)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even 16:9 in SD would be an improvement for British Eurosport.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2184423)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
HD certainly looks like the future, as Compact Cassettes once were... and vinyl... I'm sure my kids will one day be explaining what that flaky old HD TV thing was all about...
I am sure they will, but we have to get there first, and the next step is HD.
Quote:
As for not going HD being a loss of quality... how do you figure that? The quality stays the same.
knowlesy has twigged what I meant.
Quote:
OK, you might not reckon it to be up to much, but maintaining the status quo until it's economically viable to change is not a loss of quality.
This isn't a HD thing as such, but if I was to guess, the bit rate of Eurosport is amongst the lowest of the channels on Sky. Maybe, due to economic factors, this has to be the case? Having said that I don't know how Sky charges for bitrate - can you buy more (genuinely interested).

I feel it is worth voicing my opinion on this, certainly when someone like yourself is listening. The alternative is just to turn of the channel and not say anything.
Quote:
Still, anything that ups the quality gets two big thumbs up from me...

Of course we could all go to the circuits, the quality there is amazing.
Quote:
Like my stereo commentaries...
Surround would be nice; if I ever dose off you can sneak up beinhd me...
Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2184454)   #15
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
The only big problem I have with Eurosport is the picture aspect ratio. I really like Eurosport's MotoGP coverage but I often end up watching the BBC instead just because they are Widescreen (I have read we might not have a choice next year because Dorna don't want Eurosport to show it )!

Worst still is Eurosport 2, I absolutely hate the newsbar and the resulting 3:3 picture aspect. Who at Eurosport thinks this is a good idea? I have never found anybody that think's it's useful! Please Martin, can you tell your bosses to get rid of it, all it does is really annoy people. (Ok, rant over )

I don't really have a problem with there being no HD, but there is definitely a market in the UK for HD programming. At the end of 2007 there were 422,000 Sky HD customers and 262,400 Virgin Media HD subscribers, Virgin HD subscriptions went up 72,200 just in the last quarter of 2007! I would be interested to know how many people in Israel or Turkey can get HD TV...
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2185144)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These days football in SD is simply unacceptable, it's sub par and looks little better than an internet stream, particularly when your talking about the likes of ITV.

Apparently ITV will have a HD channnel soon, so that's Sky, BBC, Ch4 and now ITV, pitty Europort and Motors TV (especially) are arguably the worst 'mainstream' channels bitrate/PQ wise.

As stated above, it's difficult not to buy a HDTV these days.

An older friend bought a HDTV the other week, he had an engineer out as the PQ was so poor. He now realises he requires a HD box to get better PQ, I believe this will happen with many people.

Last edited by JAG; 23 Apr 2008 at 19:36.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2185152)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ITV are unbelievable for football and F1. The picture is by far the worst of a topline channel. If I can call ITV a topline channel!

Sky Sports has a great SD picture though on it's channels that support HD. Obviously it isn't HD quality(!), but it's still way better than it was a couple of years back, with no blockiness. I remember when watching a game on Sky was like watching an explosion at Legoland...

La Liga games and suchlike are bloody awful though.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2185210)   #18
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
And WTCC...
I included that in my generic "touring cars" terminology, as I'm not sure whether there now is a touring car series filmed only in SD.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2185998)   #19
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
If Eurosport is not (at least) widescreen by the end of 2009, I am going to storm the Eurosport HQ and force them to do it!!! Who's with me?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2188445)   #20
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me Eurosports picture isnt too bad, but i do find motors tv to have the worst picture quality of any channel. For a channel showing motorsport with continous movement on screen, it is horribly noticeable.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2188473)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Eurosport is probably similar to ITV.

God, ITV....it seems when we hit the European races the picture quality dives again! Today was awful. There was so much pixellation that I was becoming convinced that F1 cars have square tyres.

Sorry, off topic I know.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2188536)   #22
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV was fine for me mate.

Motors TV showing the LMS was apalling, jerky, blocky pixels, the lot.
Eurosport was nice and crisp, shame there was only 15 mins of racing really...
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2188540)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I have a high quality TV though, which exacerbates picture issues on lazy channels unfortunately.

If I had a HD TV, watching ITV would be even worse.
Old 1 May 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2191954)   #24
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
ITV was fine for me mate.

Motors TV showing the LMS was apalling, jerky, blocky pixels, the lot.
Eurosport was nice and crisp, shame there was only 15 mins of racing really...
Maybe, the problem is your cable provider. I do have MotorsTV here in Portugal and I don't have any kind of problems (well, once or twice I do have pixellation, but that's the problem of my internet-TV, as I have the same problems in the other 40 or so channels )
Old 1 May 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2192025)   #25
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
Worst still is Eurosport 2, I absolutely hate the newsbar and the resulting 3:3 picture aspect. Who at Eurosport thinks this is a good idea? I have never found anybody that think's it's useful! Please Martin, can you tell your bosses to get rid of it, all it does is really annoy people. (Ok, rant over ).
from what i understood .. the newsbar is gonna disappear

Ciao Marco