Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jul 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3108517)   #76
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
This. One of the main reasons I'm going... to see the Viper kick Corvette's butt!
I would base your trip around the Vipers being there. We got told by the drivers that they wouldn't be - but that could all change if results go their way the autumn.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3108667)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Another date for the diary and something which should, again, help ease through the autumn/winter months.

http://www.dukevideo.com/Blu-ray/Car...l-PAL-DVD.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up - let's hope it's as good as last years!
Old 19 Jul 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3108810)   #78
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Another date for the diary and something which should, again, help ease through the autumn/winter months.

http://www.dukevideo.com/Blu-ray/Car...l-PAL-DVD.aspx
Absolutely a must buy after last year's beautiful effort - despite being a touch skeptical about the length and lack of qualifying / scene setting (which admittedly was sometimes cringeworthy in previous years, but has sociological interest) I've been pleasantly surprised at the times I've revisited the 2011 video.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3115744)   #79
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I would base your trip around the Vipers being there. We got told by the drivers that they wouldn't be - but that could all change if results go their way the autumn.
Nah, I'll go anyway even if they aren't there.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3117623)   #80
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hooray!

Confirmed with my company that I could switch vacation dates.

Silverstone prices are a joke, Belgian GP at Spa facilities are primitive, Hungaroring is boring, the German GP is in Germany, and the student protests and the fact they only serve Bud Light have turned me off from Montreal. So screw Bernie, I'm going to Le Mans for the first time since 2007, when I went with corporate hospitality, loved every minute of it, but this time I think I'll do on circuit camping at Airtrack with Thomas Cook. Also, will take probably Eurostar and trains, as I don't think it's the best idea for somebody who drives a Ford Focus on 40 kph speed limit two-lane roads in Bermuda to be driving on French Motorways.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3117636)   #81
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is one event I'd like to volunteer next year

it would be my first European event if it happens
Old 10 Aug 2012, 00:01 (Ref:3118136)   #82
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Hooray!

Confirmed with my company that I could switch vacation dates.

Silverstone prices are a joke, Belgian GP at Spa facilities are primitive, Hungaroring is boring, the German GP is in Germany, and the student protests and the fact they only serve Bud Light have turned me off from Montreal. So screw Bernie, I'm going to Le Mans for the first time since 2007, when I went with corporate hospitality, loved every minute of it, but this time I think I'll do on circuit camping at Airtrack with Thomas Cook. Also, will take probably Eurostar and trains, as I don't think it's the best idea for somebody who drives a Ford Focus on 40 kph speed limit two-lane roads in Bermuda to be driving on French Motorways.
Driving in France is perfectly straightforward (even bearing in mind the absurdity of me being a Londoner talking to one from Bermuda) - stick to the Autoroutes and have a good GPS (TomTom has been consistently good for us, way better than in dash examples from likes of Toyota and Audi) and not too much bother is likely to ensue.

Straying off Le Mans, if you've reservations about Spa F1, go to the 1,000km (still can't really call it 6 hours) - it's infinitely cheaper, and critically still benefits from a lot of the F1 driven enhancements (like hard standing parking close to the entrance). Appreciate it's still a long haul, but not one to write out.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3118143)   #83
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Driving in France is perfectly straightforward (even bearing in mind the absurdity of me being a Londoner talking to one from Bermuda) - stick to the Autoroutes and have a good GPS (TomTom has been consistently good for us, way better than in dash examples from likes of Toyota and Audi) and not too much bother is likely to ensue.

Straying off Le Mans, if you've reservations about Spa F1, go to the 1,000km (still can't really call it 6 hours) - it's infinitely cheaper, and critically still benefits from a lot of the F1 driven enhancements (like hard standing parking close to the entrance). Appreciate it's still a long haul, but not one to write out.
So just rent a car from Gatwick and drive it to LM and back? I know Avis UK has Tom Tom and I've had good experiences with them as a company, would like to be able take more stuff than I could if I went by Eurostar, to pack in the car. In general, I'm sure I want to do camping as hotel prices are just crazy and it's a better way to take in the atmosphere, and I won't miss hardly any of the sessions. Attracted to Aitrack because of washing/bath facilities, privacy, security, staff and private eating. Also very close to Tram.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3118195)   #84
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Found that there are mulitple car rentals (namely Avis, Europcar, Hetz ect) at LM Train station, may take the train in, get the car, gather up supplies in the Town and then head to the airtrack campsite for the weekend. Can easily drive in the slower roads around towns, was just worried about the motorways.

I'd love to do the 6 Hour one day at Spa, been there for F1 and was disappointed. But I only have limited vacation time and LM really is something special, TV just doesn't do it any justice.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3118245)   #85
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure that the airtrack campsite is actually that close to the tram stop, but all of the sites now have decent facilities and easy to get around either by car, foot or tram. Best just pick one and buy a camping ticket then get race tickets when you get there, you will save a fortune.
Not sure why you need a sat nav, easy journey down there, even in france road signs are very simple and easy to read, and once down there due to the race being on public roads (therefore you are sent in all directions) the sat navs are not much use. Just follow the temporary road signs they are not always the quickest route but you get there in the end, whilst sat navs tend to create even worse problems.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3118585)   #86
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
......whilst sat navs tend to create even worse problems.

Not when you have Emily on board!
Old 11 Aug 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3118627)   #87
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not when you have Emily on board!
Is Emily some famous Sat Nav Voice Over? I'd rather have Stephen Fry do the talking in my TomTom!
Old 11 Aug 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3118632)   #88
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
being fair to fordcosworthpanoz, i don't know whether they're planning to travel alone or in a pair but either way, i would consider catering a benefit for lm campsites too. when there's like, 4+ of you it's easy, but bbq/cooking for 2 of you is a bit of an arseache.

btw if you're not used to them, motorways are pretty easy to get used to. just treat them as a normal one lane road - except when you want to go past someone, the traffic comes from behind you instead of in front of you.

if you're travelling alone, i understand why you'd be keen to have a sat-nav (i do as well - if nothing else it's company when you're bored!). many of the big hire car companies have a sat-nav option now, so don't let that get in the way of your plans too much
Old 11 Aug 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3118647)   #89
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Exactly, one of the reasons I'm looking at Airtrack/Villageonthecurves/RD site because I'm going in a pair, and I'd rather not cook/bbq and have on-site catering. Mind you, Houx, with it's facilities, looks good as well. Price is not my #1 Concern (Obviously I'm not F1 paddock club or pitstraight grandstand and 4/5 star hotel material) but even weekend prices for some of the dearest private Le Mans campsites look decent.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3118723)   #90
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be interested to know the amount of people who actually cook every night in the campsites vs those who just go buy stuff.

Last two years we have had an opening night BBQ then just bought from the stalls. Makes more sense for us, plus Weds/Thu/Sat we're around the track/village most of the day.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3118729)   #91
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'd be interested to know the amount of people who actually cook every night in the campsites vs those who just go buy stuff.

Last two years we have had an opening night BBQ then just bought from the stalls. Makes more sense for us, plus Weds/Thu/Sat we're around the track/village most of the day.
This year i did following:
Thursday: Bought Spaghetti Bolognese from a stall
Friday: Bought food from a Gran Prix Racing camp (danish), quite ordinary food
Saturday: Got invited to join Kpy and his danish friends for BBQ at their place.

But i went alone, so what i chose to do was pretty much up to me, and doing my own BBQ was a bit out of the question
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3118938)   #92
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:

We cook pretty much every night, packing a smoker/grill barbecue (slightly older version of one of these), which has served pretty well since 2008.

Think the running order this year was

Thursday: Sausages
Friday: Smoked Duck Breast, Spatchcocked Chicken
Saturday: Steak

generally accompanied by salad and bread.

Key here is doing a daily supermarket run in the interests of things being fresh, but so long as you're up and moving relatively promptly that's never all that much of an issue. In general I've found the food around the track to be at best okay, and it is expensive for what you get.

It's horses for courses, though. Having a good pitch, cooking good food, and passing the time of day with the folk around you is all part of the experience for us. If cooking's more of a chore for you, then obviously having good on site catering is going to be a consideration.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3119041)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think James, Tony and I might be looking for an invite to dinner on the Friday next year Ian.........
Old 13 Aug 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3119324)   #94
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can count me in for that two - how do we make a reservation???!
We had lots of merguez sausages (as usual) - which were slightly damp (not as usual).
Old 13 Aug 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3119368)   #95
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm starting to think that we should convert the Saturday Ten-Tenths meeting into a BBQ dinner
Old 13 Aug 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3119381)   #96
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
"Bring Your Own Meat" - could be on to something there!

Paid my initial deposit for LM 2013 today and also found €120 unspent from the last trip! A good day.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3119407)   #97
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Paid my initial deposit for LM 2013 today and also found €120 unspent from the last trip! A good day.
If you still have money left from last time you weren't trying hard enough....

keke
still shopping for Canada
Old 13 Aug 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3119478)   #98
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
If you still have money left from last time you weren't trying hard enough....

keke
still shopping for Canada
The 1993 annual proved elusive but you are right Keke!
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3119758)   #99
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having promised on many occassions to make the TT's meet - Saturday mid morning just never works for me.
BBQ the night before might be good...
Old 14 Aug 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3119876)   #100
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't see the Saturday slot changing now after all these years. Besides, not everyone is actually at the circuit on Friday night. I guess it's depends just how tempting Ian's 'all you can eat' buffet is.......