Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3844002)   #3801
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The fourth paragraph of that article says: "By moving Stateside, Alonso will be able to pursue his ambition of completing motorsport's 'triple crown' having seemingly given up hope of landing a front-running driver in F1 again".

It's pretty obvious that's what he's going to do, he said in 2016, the Triple Crown was his goal, so I don't see how they can claim to have broken the story first.

My point was more along the lines that nothing they said in the article has been substantiated anywhere.

OTOH, Racer is also flinging rumours around, including noting that lots of IndyCar test days have allegedly been made available (and passed on). As the article says, he's "set for" a test, and "expected to" test, according to "multiple sources". Pretty fluffy stuff if you ask me. But could be awesome for IndyCar if true.

https://racer.com/2018/08/15/alonso-...d-course-test/
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3844006)   #3802
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
My point was more along the lines that nothing they said in the article has been substantiated anywhere.

OTOH, Racer is also flinging rumours around, including noting that lots of IndyCar test days have allegedly been made available (and passed on). As the article says, he's "set for" a test, and "expected to" test, according to "multiple sources". Pretty fluffy stuff if you ask me. But could be awesome for IndyCar if true.

https://racer.com/2018/08/15/alonso-...d-course-test/
It's all up in the air and I think that's probably by design, in order to keep up the suspense and interest.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3844133)   #3803
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso to test at Barber on September 5th, according to Racer. The last paragraph is interesting.

https://racer.com/2018/08/16/honda-w...d-course-test/
Old 17 Aug 2018, 02:24 (Ref:3844135)   #3804
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Marco Andretti has signed a contract extension with Andretti-Herta Autosport for his 14th season and beyond.

TBH, I don't quite understand why he is still there? He's had two wins in his IndyCar career, his last was at the 2011 Iowa Corn Indy 250. His best result since then was 3rd at Fontana in 2016 and his best season finish was 5th in 2013.

https://racer.com/2018/08/16/marco-t...ndretti-herta/
Old 17 Aug 2018, 03:44 (Ref:3844140)   #3805
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
TBH, I don't quite understand why he is still there?
Really?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3844141)   #3806
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Really?
Look at his record, so far.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 04:30 (Ref:3844142)   #3807
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Marco Andretti has signed a contract extension with Andretti-Herta Autosport for his 14th season and beyond.

TBH, I don't quite understand why he is still there? He's had two wins in his IndyCar career, his last was at the 2011 Iowa Corn Indy 250. His best result since then was 3rd at Fontana in 2016 and his best season finish was 5th in 2013.

https://racer.com/2018/08/16/marco-t...ndretti-herta/

Marco is still an Andretti, and the name will always attract sponsors, (new multi-year deal with US Concrete just announced) as long as reasonably competitive. I don't mean that to be derogatory in any way, just the way things are. Any top 5 finish in this series is nothing to sneeze at, despite RHR and Rossi having much better results. Marco has had good pace at several venues this year. Seems likely he won't win but I wouldn't rule out a top three.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3844151)   #3808
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Look at his record, so far.
My surprise was more aimed the ignorance to the family connection
Old 17 Aug 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3844189)   #3809
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
My surprise was more aimed the ignorance to the family connection
Lol, of course I'm aware of the family connection, for starters it's in the name Andretti. So what was there to be surprised about?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 17 Aug 2018 at 08:45.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3844193)   #3810
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Marco is still an Andretti, and the name will always attract sponsors, (new multi-year deal with US Concrete just announced) as long as reasonably competitive. I don't mean that to be derogatory in any way, just the way things are. Any top 5 finish in this series is nothing to sneeze at, despite RHR and Rossi having much better results. Marco has had good pace at several venues this year. Seems likely he won't win but I wouldn't rule out a top three.
So far he's had one finish in the top 5 and five other top 10 finishes, plus pole in Race 1 at Detroit. As long as US Concrete are happy with that and he can sustain it. Clearly the Andretti name brings in the money, and there's nothing like having some concrete sponsorship behind the team, something a team like Andretti-Herta Autosport need.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3844348)   #3811
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Some say McLaren would partner with Harding and use Chevrolet engines.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3844349)   #3812
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Toyota Withdraws Grand Prix of Long Beach Sponsorship After 44 Years. They've been sponsoring LB for my lifetime. End of an era.

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...after-44-years

Don't see this posted anywhere else, yet...
Old 17 Aug 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3844353)   #3813
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

TBH, I don't quite understand why he is still there?
So Graham Rahal has someone to race against?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3844362)   #3814
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Old 17 Aug 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3844367)   #3815
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soooo, Ferrucci will run a third Coyne car at Portland and Sonoma sadly bringing back the old days of DCR offering a car to anyone with a cheque book.

Wonder if we'll see the fabled Make America Great Again livery this time.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Aug 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3844379)   #3816
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
He's done quite a lot better than Marco. 7 wins, if you include Champ Car, the most recent being both races at Detroit last year. 24 podiums including Champ Car and highest season finish, 4th in 2015.

I think we will have to look elsewhere for a playmate for Marco.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3844565)   #3817
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Lol, of course I'm aware of the family connection, for starters it's in the name Andretti. So what was there to be surprised about?
You said you didn’t understand why Marco is being retained be AA?
This comment surprised me.

Your comment above now confuses me - if you can’t work out why he’s being retained with all the available information, I’m not sure we can help you here
Old 19 Aug 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3844569)   #3818
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DCR said they are impressed with the professionalism of Ferrucci. Either they're poking fun at the situation, or they think everyone is stupid enough to believe that.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3844571)   #3819
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Deposit must have been paid in full.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3844706)   #3820
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If Ferricci helps with Bourdais' budget, I'm fine.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3844730)   #3821
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
You said you didn’t understand why Marco is being retained be AA?
This comment surprised me.

Your comment above now confuses me - if you can’t work out why he’s being retained with all the available information, I’m not sure we can help you here
I said, I don't quite understand why he is still there and gave his IndyCar career record as the reason, as his career record is not very good.

However, as mstets quite rightly pointed out, Marco is still an Andretti and the name will always attract sponsors. One can therefore conclude he is still there, not because of his career record in IndyCar but because of the Andretti name and he is being used as a money magnet to attract sponsors.

Having said that, I still don't think his career record warrants the seat.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3844824)   #3822
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I said, I don't quite understand why he is still there and gave his IndyCar career record as the reason, as his career record is not very good.

However, as mstets quite rightly pointed out, Marco is still an Andretti and the name will always attract sponsors. One can therefore conclude he is still there, not because of his career record in IndyCar but because of the Andretti name and he is being used as a money magnet to attract sponsors.

Having said that, I still don't think his career record warrants the seat.
It doesn't but his career sponsorship earnings clearly warrant his retention of the seat. He apparently has more than a few sponsors who want to be in the Andretti racing game so he has a seat. The fact you think career racing record had anything to do with his seat confuses the rest of us here. It's Indycars, there has NEVER been a time where cash didn't speak louder than skill and now it's much louder.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3844834)   #3823
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It doesn't but his career sponsorship earnings clearly warrant his retention of the seat. He apparently has more than a few sponsors who want to be in the Andretti racing game so he has a seat. The fact you think career racing record had anything to do with his seat confuses the rest of us here. It's Indycars, there has NEVER been a time where cash didn't speak louder than skill and now it's much louder.
I've been following motorsport for decades, I know how it is done and it's the same, whether it's F1, IndyCar or NASCAR. I don't see what's so confusing about what I said, regarding his race career? His career record doesn't warrant the seat but we all know he is there because of the Andretti name and the money that it brings.

The history of motorsport is riddled with drivers who didn't deserve the drive they got, due to a lack of skill but they brought money with them and that's why they got the drive.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 19 Aug 2018 at 20:58.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3844936)   #3824
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's amazing how few wins Marco has got. He's a good driver, but never really lived up to his promise
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3844948)   #3825
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'll quote Paul Tracy from a couple of years ago now...." the only other ride Marco could get is with Uber".