Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 23 Jun 2000, 14:15 (Ref:18953)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
now I may be a bit slow with this new forum software but i seem to be having a few problems with the light bulbs and envelopes..if there is a light bulb on ..meaning a new message in that forum i go in but the envelopes are all black as if there is no new messages and I have to search for the new messages to keep up to date with the conversation...basically im using the forums as it were the old software which i became accustomed to and when the new one was first introduced it was the same but now it has changed to this..Is there some little setting somewhere that ive missed to rectify this problem or is it completely out of my hands ????

Also Craig has the new patch been installed to enable us to correct out time zone yet..for some reason I am still getting a message that the administrator has banned my e mail and carnt change anything on my profile ??

cheers
marcus
Old 23 Jun 2000, 20:37 (Ref:19022)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think the cookie expiry time needs exteding, if such a thing is possible. I often find if I have a lot of new posts to get through, halfway through the forum loses where I'm up to and forgets what I have or haven't read, and just flags everything as read. Any easy way of fixing it?
Old 23 Jun 2000, 21:40 (Ref:19035)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The way the cookies work in vBulletin is totally different to the way that UBB operated. Once you are logged in, the server retains details of the time at which you last loaded a page on the forum - be it viewing a topic, posting a reply, or whatever.

Most important thing about this is that the only cookie which is stored in your browser is your login information. This has several advantages - you can log in from multiple locations and know that you won't have to wade through loads of topics which you've already read because the cookie on that system thinks you haven't logged in for the past week. It also eliminates the problem when a cookie becomes corrupted & you lose the information relating to your last visit.

If you go a whole 5 minutes without any activity, you will have your 'last post indicators' refreshed. The question in this case is - is this inactivity time long enough ? Yes, I can change it but, if you are a regular visitor, what is the correct level to set it at ?

I am talking to John, the forum developer, about adding a 'mark all posts as read' facility to the system. If he does this, we can easily set this inactivity time to 15 minutes and know that everyone will be happy because of the availability of the mark all posts as read option.

As a temporary measure, in the meantime, I will up this inactivity level to 10 minutes and see if this helps. Maybe this will create other problems though, so we'll just have to play it by ear for the time being.

As for the problem with updating your profile, they are currently beta testing version 1.1.3 of the software, but I am reluctant to upgrade to beta software - especially as it will mean me hacking the private messaging back in again. If you'd like me to update your profile for you, just let me know the details.
Old 23 Jun 2000, 22:28 (Ref:19050)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think upping it to 10 minutes is probably a good idea - 5 mins is too easy to let slip by by being interrupted by someone wanting a quick chat, network lag or a sudden urge to head for the loo. 10 mins is harder to let slip.