Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Jun 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3089656)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2012 Iowa Corn Indy 250

Three heats!!! I thought it was two with 12 drivers each. Heat C will have the top 8 drivers in practice, Heat B will have the odd-placed drivers and Heat A the even-placed. "Groups for qualifications will be determined by combined practice session times."
Old 15 Jun 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3091238)   #2
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes it like a Saturday night Sprintcar show with your A,B & C Mains, but without the winners progressing up to the A.
I guess the top 8 will be interesting as a shootout amongst the best without slower cars getting in the way.
The other heats for odds (9,11, 13 etc) and evens (10, 12 ,14) will give some cars and drivers that never get much exposure to run at the front and have some fun.
I like the idea, I think it suits the venue, being in the same state as Knoxville and all that.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3091462)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's all neatly explained here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100327
Old 15 Jun 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3091652)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Makes it like a Saturday night Sprintcar show with your A,B & C Mains, but without the winners progressing up to the A.
That could be fixed easily: heat 1 and 2 winners would start in the back of the grid of the heat 3. But those two teams may prefer to race just once. I don't mind either option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
The other heats for odds (9,11, 13 etc) and evens (10, 12 ,14) will give some cars and drivers that never get much exposure to run at the front and have some fun.
I'm sure that's why they chose that format: to give midpack drivers more exposure.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3095432)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
There's a minor tweak to the weekend format: heat race grids will be determined by practice 2 times only. It's good they fixed that.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3095453)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IndyCar are going to set a rear wing limit like they did at Texas.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100491
Old 23 Jun 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3096940)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dario on pole...
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3097033)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pity he couldnt make the start - terrible season for Dario, but he still won Indy... Will Power will be happy to see the end of the ovals for a while
Wonder if Michael Andretti was really happy with Ryan winning with Marco in P2 - about time Marco had a good finish, he should be doing better than what he has been doing - if he is anygood!
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3097064)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Good race. Highly entertaining.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3097173)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Unfortunately had to watch highlights again as the race was on so late over here but what I saw looked really good and there seemed to be a good attendance.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3097192)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I did enjoy the race although the jerky camera work meant I spent most of the time in a state of semi-confusion. I think the NBC camera people need a quiet word with their competitors on how to cover these short tracks. Franchitti was very unlucky but I enjoyed his remarks esp. over Viso.

Last edited by Paradise City; 24 Jun 2012 at 14:50.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3097201)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, i quite like Dario in the booth. Can he retire early from every race??
Old 25 Jun 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3097531)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yet another good race! I enjoyed Dario's commentary as well.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 01:57 (Ref:3097539)   #14
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Agreed.

Chris
Old 25 Jun 2012, 04:07 (Ref:3097562)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I enjoyed his remarks esp. over Viso.
The Viso comments were very funny - and absolutely spot on... Especially after Viso's classy crotch-grabbing gesture in the direction of the guy who has won more races than EJ could ever hope to do in a lifetime...
Old 25 Jun 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3097806)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I had a university activity 400km north of my city. I had one of these little laptop computers (I'm doing outreach with them), but there was no internet at the time of the race. Now I've checked ESPN's schedule and there's no reruns this week. So I've just watched the highlights video.

There were many crashed by frontrunners, I'm surprised. What happened between Viso and Power?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3098074)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Power came down on Viso and they collected each other. Seemed either Will's spotter hadn't told him or the message hadn't gotten through because he just took his line like any old lap... They hit and ended up in the wall...

Viso then proceeded to stand in his cockpit, look towards Power and tap his helmet with his index finger in a derisive manner, before grabbing his crotch in a quite aggressive manner as Power sat there in his car.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:23 (Ref:3098759)   #18
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
His brother Marino has been excellent when he's commentated on sportscar racing, it seems to run in the family!
Old 1 Jul 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3100596)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the Iowa Corn 2 Fiffy race only pulled a 0.18 TV rating, down 42% from last year. Gruesome.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3100647)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Iowa was on at a ridiculous time for me. A time I only remember Motegi being at. And there was a rain delay on top of that. They seem to be tampering a bit with the scheduling this year. At least I'm getting blind sided by funny times and Saturdays. Not what I'd recommend if I'm trying to revive a regular following to my series that has difficulties promoting itself.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3102055)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I don't get the point of racing on a Saturday evening. I would have thought most people would be out at either a bar or club etc.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3102067)   #22
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well the Iowa Corn 2 Fiffy race only pulled a 0.18 TV rating, down 42% from last year. Gruesome.

MOMENTUM wooohoo!

At this rate, Indycar under the great leadership of Randy Bernard will become the biggest series in the World, F1 and NASCAR are doomed.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3102142)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
MOMENTUM wooohoo!

At this rate, Indycar under the great leadership of Randy Bernard will become the biggest series in the World, F1 and NASCAR are doomed.
Momentum downwards.

I think it's safe to say that sports car racing has surpassed open wheel formula racing in terms of fans that tune in on an average race weekend, as the ALMS out pulls the irl and grand am runs even or higher. Especially when you combine the numbers together. Add in the numbers of cars in both fields as well as support series and all the manufacturer support and it is larger than the irl.

They, the irl, are trying to emulate what they hated to begin with, CART, so it's never gonna work.