Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3302708)   #1
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Signed poster - very long shot

Hi guys

I just thought I'd ask here for any input or thoughts you might have on this little project I'm going to have a crack at.

As I'm sure some of you will have seen, I took my littlun along last year when he was six months old, and whilst it may not be his thing when he's bigger, I'd like to give him a little 'memory' of it when he's older. I found the 2012 poster the other day and am going to try and see if I can get it signed by all of the drivers from 2012 (I know for obvious reasons I sadly won't get 100%). My questions really are two-fold; in getting in touch with drivers/teams is there anything you think might help me, also, knowing you lot are well connected - can anyone help me in my quest with your links to teams?

My initial thoughts are that I would like to add some kind of written assurance that this is in no way for commercial gain, and more simply always enclose an SAE with appropriate postage on there to make their lives easier. If anyone has anything useful to add, please do let me know.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3302719)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come to Petit Le Mans in Oct. You can get a start on a few drivers there when they have the atuograph session. Or - send it to a buddy in the states who is going to handle the duty.Good Luck!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3302725)   #3
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ha ha, I'd love to - sadly funds won't allow!

Think I'm going to start with one Allan McNish. He did once comment on a picture of George on Twitter in his Audi suit, so if I enclose that picture it might show I'm genuine.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3302737)   #4
Richard Jones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Brighton
Richard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Hi guys

I just thought I'd ask here for any input or thoughts you might have on this little project I'm going to have a crack at.

As I'm sure some of you will have seen, I took my littlun along last year when he was six months old, and whilst it may not be his thing when he's bigger, I'd like to give him a little 'memory' of it when he's older. I found the 2012 poster the other day and am going to try and see if I can get it signed by all of the drivers from 2012 (I know for obvious reasons I sadly won't get 100%). My questions really are two-fold; in getting in touch with drivers/teams is there anything you think might help me, also, knowing you lot are well connected - can anyone help me in my quest with your links to teams?

My initial thoughts are that I would like to add some kind of written assurance that this is in no way for commercial gain, and more simply always enclose an SAE with appropriate postage on there to make their lives easier. If anyone has anything useful to add, please do let me know.
Getting a poster multi-signed after the event sounds a bit tricky to be honest. Teams and drivers seem happy to sign for fans (and even the ebay dealers) at race meetings. I find that the majority of photos which I send to teams will come back signed, as long as I write a short polite note and enclose an SAE. I've been collecting on and off for many years but the idea of sending the same poster back and forth is not something I would attempt. What happens if it gets lost on the final leg of the journey, for instance ? Perhaps a kind soul somewhere will offer to 'project manage' for you but that does sound like a long shot
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3302739)   #5
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
That's a very good point about when there's a number of autographs on there, and something I can't really mitigate too much. I think it's a case of get what I can at a distance with a note/SAE as you say and then try and fill as many gaps as possible at the likes of next year's LM etc. at the signing sessions.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3302766)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wouldn't the poster itself end up all but destroyed by the time you've got it completed?

Maybe you could try get all 12 class winners to sign it? You could probably square that off at the Silverstone WEC next year.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3302905)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Use Facebook.
I know that a person like Tom K, is very open to anything original, and often doesn't mind giving a little bit extra .
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3303033)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no disrespect, i really like the idea, but if you're looking to pass on a legacy to him, then you should try and turn it into your own epic adventure. make it a long term project, take it to future le mans and endurance events, photograph it as you go, it doesn't matter if it gets a bit dog- eared as long as you write down *how* it got dog-eared.

giving him something material is fine but why don't you make it something that he can join you in completing as he gets older?
Old 13 Sep 2013, 05:08 (Ref:3303155)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with bella.

Simply sending it around for signatures is likely to be a pretty frustrating task, IMO.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3303167)   #10
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
No disrespect at all Bella - I had in mind this would probably take quite a while to achieve - certainly a good few years at least. But I really like your idea of the supporting information etc that'd be really cool! So thanks for the suggestion.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3303189)   #11
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would start at Silverstone next April (assuming the opening round of the WEC/ELMS will be there again at that time) and try to make headway on the opening day of the meeting when things are quieter and more relaxed. Then, take it to Le Mans 2014 (scrutineering probably being the best opportunity) and try to make further headway there.

That will give you a start, but I suspect you're going to have to make a proper nuisance of yourself in order to complete the project...and, I suspect your biggest challenge will be completing the 'gentleman driver' element.

This is not something I would ever contemplate doing myself, I just don't 'get' the whole autograph/signed photo thing. The car has always been the star (for me) in endurance racing....but, I wish you luck!

OT - interestingly, in the year I was 'embedded' as a guest of a team (wearing team overalls for the purpose of garage/pitlane access) I was stopped several times and asked for my autograph....which I found highly amusing!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3303194)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have not had chance to do it for a few years now, but I used to enjoy picking a load of my photos getting them printed off and then walking up and down the paddock of the Friday of the LMS/IMLC/WEC meeting at Silverstone getting them signed by drivers and most are happy to do so.

The only person I had problem with was a driver from Birmingham who did quite well in F1 in 1992 I think we spent 45 mins waiting for him to come out of the garage we gave up in the in the end.

A few years ago when I used to follow the BTCC around I got one of Dunlop's free hat's and spent the second half of the season getting that signed by all the drivers that race that seaon, it became hard work in the end and by the end of the season the hat looked a little battered.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3303244)   #13
Richard Jones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Brighton
Richard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I just don't 'get' the whole autograph/signed photo thing.
I have a programme from the Daily Express Trophy meeting at Silverstone from April 1974.

I was only 6 years old but I collected signatures from Denis Hulme, James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Peter Gethin & Francois Miguet.

This is a prized possession.

I just don't get how people 'don't get' the whole autograph thing
Old 13 Sep 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3303290)   #14
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Then, take it to Le Mans 2014 (scrutineering probably being the best opportunity) and try to make further headway there.
Surely the autograph session in the pitlane on tuesday evening must be the better opportunity? But I would try to get Patrick Dempsey's autograph before that, because there was a half hour or more queue to get his.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3304121)   #15
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Surely the autograph session in the pitlane on tuesday evening must be the better opportunity?
I'd completely forgotten about that....you're right, best opportunity by far.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3304124)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
I just don't get how people 'don't get' the whole autograph thing
Touché!
Old 27 Sep 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3310176)   #17
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I for one can completely appreciate your quest as I have been doing something similar for the past eighteen months.

2012 Sebring was the 60th anniversary and also the first ever WEC race. I figured that I'd get the official event poster and get some signatures on it. I ran all over the paddock during the autograph session and managed to get all of the WEC drivers from that day. I figured that I could get the ALMS teams later on. Oh, BTW, there were 64 cars in the field and that meant 192 drivers! So this was no easy task.

I have taken that poster all over the United States! First recommendation for you is to get a sturdy cardboard poster tube. If you're careful and it's not too windy when you take it out and you religiously return it to the poster right away you will not have any problems.

So, after last weekend at COTA (where I got two drivers I didn't previously have) from 192 I am down to only needing 12. I'll tell you the hardest part is getting the third gentleman drivers. I've looked up all of the remaining 12 guys and I know that by next year if I go to some World Challenge races and Indycar (all I need from there is EJ Viso) that I should be able to get them all, however there is one wealthy gentleman driver who hasn't raced in anything since Sebring. I'm thinking I may have to stalk him on Linkedin and hand deliver it to him.

I just figure that if the WEC takes off and is successful that maybe 50 years from now someone will find the poster in an attic or somewhere and it will be a pretty neat thing. Until then I can't wait to get all the signatures so that I can finally frame it!

Is there any trick to posting photos on this forum? I would be happy to post a photo of this poster to show you what 180 signatures looks like!

Lastly, besides the Sebring poster, Le Mans 2012 was my first ever pilgrimage. I too bought the event poster and my goal was just to get the 12 class winning drivers to sign it. I am pleased to report that after last weekend at COTA I have all 12 and the poster is currently at the framing shop!

Good luck in your quest, trust me, I can appreciate what you are doing!!!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3310345)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bet the drivers probably appreciate signing something like that too instead of the average bit of team promo.

Congrats on almost completing your mission.

Makes me want to start something...

The 12 class winners at Le Mans is something that appeals to me. As I think it could be doable without dragging me all over the place.

Allan McNish / Tom Kristensen / Loic Duval
Martin Plowman / Bertrand Baguette / Ricardo Gonzalez
Marc Lieb / Richard Lietz / Romain Dumas
Raymond Narac / Jean-Karl Vernay / Christophe Bourret
Old 28 Sep 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3310375)   #19
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Is there any trick to posting photos on this forum?
Type the following:
[img]URL of the photo you want to post[/img]

so the img on this URL http://dutchstuff.nl/poster/2013.jpg (right click on the image you want to use and open in different tab and use that URL)

will be displayed in this way:

Old 28 Sep 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3310432)   #20
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Well, here is my Sebring poster in all it's glory! It's got a heck of a lot of signatures on it already but just needs a few more!

Thanks to vincegail for teaching a newb how to post a photo!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3310450)   #21
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
You're welcome, but the picture is not working (for me). Is it behind some sort of password protected personal account?
Old 28 Sep 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3310473)   #22
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
You're welcome, but the picture is not working (for me). Is it behind some sort of password protected personal account?
Bummer. Ya, I guess it is password protected, didn't think of that. What websites nowadays aren't password protected, and which would you recommend for posting a photo? I appreciate your help!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3310495)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'd either upload it to something like Photobucket and grab the code off there or upload it to Facebook and copy the image URL.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3310499)   #24
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dropbox is also good, it has the benefit you keeping 100% control of the original picture.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3310702)   #25
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Let's try this again: