Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2004, 00:25 (Ref:889614)   #51
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
To be fair most of the 'he should retire' remarks seem to give him a lot of respect and aknowledge his achievements and that is point behind them. Sort of retire when you are at the top.

I hope he doesn't retire and even if something happens and he loses his speed he should continue if he wants to. As long as he is enjoying it then so what.
I agree that Schuey should retire while at the top. But if that's your criterion, then there's no hurry at all... I don't subscribe to the belief that he should quit if he doesn't win the title this year. Sooner or later, someone will beat him - but it doesn't mean he's past it. If he loses the title this year, he can always win it in 2005.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 10:34 (Ref:889892)   #52
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Btw, anyone remember DC's move on Michael in the same race? I was watching it only the other day and it's a great past, very much in the Mika-Michael-Spa mould, but never gets a mention. (IMO, it was better than Mika's move at Spa )
Yes, I alwats think that when JPM's move is mentioned again and again. Then I remember that DC is, of course, no good, whereas JPM is great...

Sticking to the thread, I think that Eddie's comments are probably more from a benevolent point of view; 'quite while you're ahead' kind of view. And of course, I think we'd all like to see Schuey retire before he hurts himself. He really doen't have anything left to prove in F1.

Last edited by krt917; 1 Mar 2004 at 10:35.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 14:26 (Ref:890141)   #53
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
Michael didn't win the championship last year, the others lost it.
Hmm, I kinda agree, he only won 6 of the races, while we were used to 9-11 from previous years...

I agree, the others lost it. This is true; they indeed lost the championship... But... ahem, put it this way: they didn't *lose* the championship; they were extremely lucky that it lasted till last race. They only managed to get 1 (one) or 2 (two) wins each.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 15:37 (Ref:890217)   #54
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are not even leading for half the season, so what rights do they have to claim "losing" a WDC?

In a season where the cars were as equal as they could be in recent years...yet produce a 6 to 1/2 win is quite telling. But sure, if you mean that the competition SHOULD have won due to favourable conditions, yet still did not, then i agree they lost the WDC.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:30 (Ref:890266)   #55
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
Yes, I alwats think that when JPM's move is mentioned again and again. Then I remember that DC is, of course, no good, whereas JPM is great...

Not sure thats the point krt. With regards to both moves, both were excellent, and the bonus for JPM and Dc was that they were both on Michael. But the difference is, JPM's move was his first ever oppertunity to have a go at michael, and he took it, alot of drivers would have possibly backed out of it for fear of taking Michael out at their first attempt.

For the record, i thought that DC's move in that race was better.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 03:46 (Ref:892023)   #56
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funnily, the commentators had already "predicted" the JPM move before the restart.

I agree that DC's move was better executed and more clinical. But of course, any overtaking is good viewing.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:04 (Ref:892165)   #57
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with both Mr V and GTR. My point was just that DC's move tends to get overlooked. Both were good moves, though. More of the same would be great!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:19 (Ref:892480)   #58
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
krt, I think that DC moves are taken that way, since he says at the beginning of each season, "this is my year"...

About TGF retiring, I think that he has nothing left... we all know he is a great driver, he holds the record of 6 wdc...
You know what I mean, he got already his page in history of motorsports, so why bother trying to show everyone his greatness (again)?

Last edited by facco; 3 Mar 2004 at 16:22.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:04 (Ref:892536)   #59
Gt_R
Veteran

Does it strike you that he may not be doing it for the records or showing his greatness, but rather simply enjoying it like karting and being comfortable with his team?

Nah..i guess it's too hard to understand for many Michael must be a big bad show off?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:11 (Ref:892549)   #60
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Gt_R, records mean more to Michael than he publicly lets on, but thats only human.

I'm sure that he still enjoys what he does, but it is easier to enjoy it when everythings going great. If Michael loses this year, i honestly don't think he will enjoy it anymore, but thats only my opinion.

His love nd devotion towards his family outweigh his love for his driving also imo.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:14 (Ref:892755)   #61
Gt_R
Veteran

isn't it correct to put family ahead of everything else? I personally feel that way too!

Michael doesn't claim records mean nothing or little value to him..so he isn't false in his attitude towards it/ True it's only human to be proud of records and the desire to attain them. Difference being Michael ATTAINED those records(and happy to do so), the others all havent. People make it sound as if Michael's a robot who's just trying to rake up the numbers, completely devoid of love for racing. If that's the case, why did he bother karting?

If people who will realise these lads here first raced not out of "seeking a career" but rather "out of love" for racing.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:02 (Ref:892811)   #62
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
krt, I think that DC moves are taken that way, since he says at the beginning of each season, "this is my year"...
I wonder, what is the last time that he really said that?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:42 (Ref:892976)   #63
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think that Schuey's four titles in a row have created a false impression in some people's minds (though not, I suspect, his). It seems to be a common thought now that the moment he fails to win the world title, he'll quit. I don't think so. Everyone has to be beaten eventually, but it doesn't mean they're finished. If someone else beats Schuey this year, but Schuey is in the fight until the end, I think he'll remain philosophical, and will back in 2005. If he were to be nowhere, that would be different, but I don't think anyone seriously expects that to happen, do they?