Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:10 (Ref:892276)   #26
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he should not accept to be a part of the show in the first place... if he knew what this was all about. But once he was there he could play along.

PS: Is it true that he's looking for a new PR officer?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:33 (Ref:892294)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't understand that, Red. The two Aussie "comedians" disrupted a press conference for their own "gag", so JPM didn't accept to be a part of the show at all.

I can understand JPM. And I'm sure they picked him cos they had a good chance of getting a rise outta him. But it's pretty pathetic really. Seems like they broke the first rule of comedy - be funny!

And anyone who takes the sensationalised bull**** of any news channel/website with the the word Fox in it as honest gospel truth is an idiot.

I would probably have reacted differently. This is MY press conference, so I'd have the two ****wits kicked out on their arse minus any press-passes and freebies and race tickets and so on they may have collected (and preferably minus the keys to their car too). Then I'd carry on with the press conference as if nothing had happened. Apart from maybe a sideways dig at Aussie "humour".
Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:50 (Ref:892309)   #28
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaahh! Ok then! My mistake! So it WAS a press conference! Right! I thought it was a prank organized by someone, in the form of a Press Conference. Sorry!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:892313)   #29
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Love to see that stunt pulled on Schummi.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 13:15 (Ref:892325)   #30
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So actually he handled it quite well, all things considered.

I question why the security of the conference did nothing.

Tony Squires is neither funny nor popular and his "reporters" have proved that perfectly.

People like this belittle motorsport and the people who enjoy it, that is there joke. Their joke is aimed at YOU - not just Montoya.

I agree with Inigo, for if that behaviour had been done to Michael Schumacher, the Tifosi would be a little ****ed off. Columbians don't like their sport stars being mocked either.

Anyway, kudos to JPM.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 13:35 (Ref:892343)   #31
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya has a great sense of humour, I had seen many (spanish) interviews and he is a nice and funny guy.

Sorry if some people don't like him, that's their problem...

Go Juan Go !!!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 13:37 (Ref:892349)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't you think it wasn't very polite from JPM not accepting an invitation from an old lady to play golf ????

My GOD, what's wrong with the world today ?? If I was his father I would phone him and make him come back and apologize.

He could, at least, decline the invitation and go away with an excuse...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:01 (Ref:892378)   #33
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one event in which Montoya is not to blame. If that happened to me, I am sure some heads would have been cracked together.

Of course, I am more suited to boxing than driving F1 cars anyway!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:52 (Ref:892428)   #34
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twits. I really can't stand that type of humour. Must've taken all the brainpower of a mouldy turnip to come up with that one.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 15:43 (Ref:892454)   #35
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My reaction would be the same as Juan's. I would quietly get up and leave.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:03 (Ref:892466)   #36
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
juan did the right thing, what's the point to keep playing with idiots that try to be funny.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:05 (Ref:892470)   #37
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One could argue both sides.
On the one hand, it was obviously someone who's purpose was simply to be an anoyance. On the other side of the coin, a sharp witted and smart Montoya could have turned the table and shown them for what they were.

In spite of realizing his driving talent, he is generally hot-headed and impatient and makes mistakes that are costly to his team and teammate. I do not think he is ready to be an ambassador for F1. I think it was his lack of maturity at work in this case.

Of course, we were not there in real time so who is to say that this was not the best he could have done.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:34 (Ref:892499)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and here's me thinking that JPM was a motor racing driver. I'm obviously mistaken that this is what he is meant to be good at!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:37 (Ref:892502)   #39
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... no one can blame him or any other for having this reaction. Maybe, he was not in the mood for jokes. And again, he just walked away without saying anymore, just like it is promised by any entertainment person while holding a press conference.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:892521)   #40
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While i do feel curious about how bad security is that 2 comedians could actually get into a press conference (makes me want to do it too ) and that understandably any person could be ****ed, that a professional event could be invaded and disrupted (as well as i question the level of "funny" the comedians are), one curious thing.

Isn't Montoya THE personality guy, who is supposed to be the laid back and easy-going chap used to the American style UNLIKE all those dead-pan germanic/finnish robots? And how people complain F1 is getting too business like and lost the fun factor?

Now somebody tried to bring fun and gets screwed by the fans. And somebody who is supposed to be fun-loving gets angry with quite a small prank. And we think it's a bad thing to happen ? Hard to please the fans isn't it? It's a prank, yeah it may not be classy but heck, its new and harmless, what's the problem kicking up a fuss?

JPM handled the incident coldly, which though may be an improvement (at least no vulgarities are hurled), could actually react more professionally than leave like that.. those comedians should be made to leave instead.

Not JPM's fault..but it does show something.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:892522)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
Well... no one can blame him or any other for having this reaction. Maybe, he was not in the mood for jokes. And again, he just walked away without saying anymore, just like it is promised by any entertainment person while holding a press conference.
Honey, you may be right.

But our latino boy was already a hot head in other occasions - remember that press conference in Brazil ? - which makes him a perfect victim... I know some guys just like him, the right words at the right time and bang !

But anyway, he's a great racer an a fine guy.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:38 (Ref:892635)   #42
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
does anyone have the vid online via a link?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:39 (Ref:892638)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope they show it instead of the Grand Prix.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:50 (Ref:892652)   #44
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on what he was on his mind, sometimes you want jokes and sometimes you can't take one. But obviously people never showcase Montoya's funny side, they always show the angry JPM...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:06 (Ref:892663)   #45
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't respect the kind of 'humour' these andydicks and aligs, not to mention tomgreens, are up to, these 'comedians' doesn't even know, what a real comedy is. These 'men' should learn, that public humiliation is not the form of comedy.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:09 (Ref:892666)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I hope they show it instead of the Grand Prix.
Oh, it's been a long off season and you must be really bored...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:19 (Ref:892679)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
after a long off season this seems to be what F1 is about I've almost forgot they had things called races!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:34 (Ref:892698)   #48
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it sunday yet ?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:34 (Ref:892699)   #49
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

Isn't Montoya THE personality guy, who is supposed to be the laid back and easy-going chap used to the American style UNLIKE all those dead-pan germanic/finnish robots? And how people complain F1 is getting too business like and lost the fun factor?

Now somebody tried to bring fun and gets screwed by the fans. And somebody who is supposed to be fun-loving gets angry with quite a small prank. And we think it's a bad thing to happen ? Hard to please the fans isn't it? It's a prank, yeah it may not be classy but heck, its new and harmless, what's the problem kicking up a fuss?
My thoughts exactly
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:56 (Ref:892721)   #50
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From some one who was there,that being me,this is blown all out of proportion.
The original clown was from radio station MMM and he is a clown.The C7 reporter carried it on.JPM asked for the P/C to carry on without the attempts at humour and well it didn't.JPM calmly got up excussed himself and left.

The Grumpy1
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm