Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:56 (Ref:892722)   #51
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a great way to start the season. A seemingly harmless incident, used to dissect Montoyas personality in such a way as for people to diagnose him with some kind of mental deficiency.

Have I logged onto psychologistsdiscussionboard.com or something?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:57 (Ref:892723)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Is it sunday yet ?
Depends in what part of the world you are...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:05 (Ref:892736)   #53
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised more of the media haven't made a bigger deal of it like:
"Montoya cracks under pressure and loses confidence to win championship!"

I only saw a small story on Teletext (not even the main headline)!!!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:06 (Ref:892737)   #54
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hah..guess the excitement is just bursting out..

JPM said he believe he can break Michael's motivation to the WDC.. but from what we see this past season, it seems like JPM have a higher chance of having his motivation broken. Hard to imagine for a tough cookie.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:08 (Ref:892741)   #55
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, yeah..i believe that the media blows it out of proportion.. They love to overdramatise incidents with words like "Storm out" "slams" "furious" "brush off" to make things seem worse than what the driver himself thought.. seesh.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:11 (Ref:892746)   #56
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was announced on the news as a huge dummyspit by Juan.
After watching the footage, I feel he was more than entitled to walkout. I too would be very angry that these guys were allowed to continue the gag instead of being removed from the press conference.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:17 (Ref:892759)   #57
Gt_R
Veteran

No security present? Or is it a secretly planned act by the officials??

Hmm...maybe it's just Ferrari-hired clowns trying to wreck JPM's mental preperations?

But i agree though..a seemingly small issue being given far too much attention.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:16 (Ref:892833)   #58
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if he was justified in walking out of the press conference, it doesn't excuse the fact that he then just drove off without fulfilling his other obligations for the day.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:19 (Ref:892838)   #59
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know the guys responsible have at times had me ROFLMAO .
The difference IMO between their past work and yesterdays attempt was that it was at an official press conference which is different from their normal practice which is a 1 on 1 interview, usually conducted either before or after the sportsperson's training or at a black tie event where they will interview them on the red carpet.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:24 (Ref:892843)   #60
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why people have to do so many silly interviews. The questions are always the same and always inane and the subject always gives a banal standard answer that won't interfere with the blandess of the teams corporate image and profile. Tedious in the extreme.

Therefore, I was going to side with Monty.

Then I read that Gabrielle Richens was one of those who were to be trained for the celebrity race and Monty declined.

There are no words for that kind of behaviour, I just don't get it.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:35 (Ref:892850)   #61
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mmmm.......Gabrielle Richens.....
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:10 (Ref:892890)   #62
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
It does have other implications for both him and Williams - and their sponsors. I doubt that the sponsors would have liked:
"For Montoya, comedy falls flat
Montoya left several of the insurance company's guests disappointed, as Allianz had organised several hot laps in a BMW M3 for its corporate guests with the three-time GP winner.

Montoya storms out of press conference
Montoya's sponsor-day had been organised by team-backer Allianz but the Bogota-born driver powered-off in a BMW before he even started his responsibilities. One of his duties was to drive a celebrity around the Sandown track.
'I guess Juan didn't appreciate the Australian sense of humour,' said Allianz Australia chief Greg Fisher. 'Basically this has ruined the day.'

Moody Montoya storms out
BMW-Williams team officials claimed Montoya would make a return when order was restored, but instead the racer fled to his BMW 4x4 and sped off.
Montoya - known for his fiery and sometimes reckless tactics on the track - also left without fulfilling his training commitments for Sunday's celebrity race.

But, of course, Juan doesnt care about BMW or Allianz after 04 does he? Its a dumb thing to do at any time and he's probably now made sure that Ralf gets the best pit calls for the rest of the year.

As for TGF, I'll bet he would have turned the phone prank into a Vodafone advertisement. Thats the difference between a cool head and a hot-head.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:22 (Ref:892906)   #63
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you shoved a lump of coal up Montoya's arse, in a week you would have a diamond.

The guy is such a head case I swear...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:47 (Ref:892926)   #64
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Needs more personalities.
Whats the point of storming out of an interview. You only make yourself look bad. Take a joke guys.

A good example of this was when David Coulthard was on Rove on Tuesday night. Its a TV show we have over here in Australia like David Letterman or whatever where they have celebrities and bands on. Anyway, DC came up with a funny call.
I'll try and remember how it went......

Rove- You have to be pretty fit to be a F1 driver dont you, a lot of people dont know that.

DC- Yeah, well going into some corners we are pulling 5G's, so imagine trying to hold up the weight of your head, with a helmet on going around a corner. Your neck muscles need to be pretty strong because your head weighs 5 times as much.

Rove- Do you ever do that NASA training on those big G-Force machines that they use to practice Re-Entry

DC- Well i like to practice Re-Entry as much as possible. Hopefully my girlfriend is back at the hotel watching this and takes the hint and is ready for when i get back there.

We need more characters like this in F1, that sounded like something Eddie Irvine would have said.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:52 (Ref:892931)   #65
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenw
If you shoved a lump of coal up Montoya's arse, in a week you would have a diamond.
I hope this lump of coal is there by Sunday lunchtime.

I reckon he just really wanted to play golf.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:07 (Ref:892944)   #66
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manwell, it's a little different in a "chat show" environment than in what is meant to be a proffesional press conference.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:892966)   #67
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble with JPM making some witty remark or whatever was he didn't seem to understand what they were on about.. which I don't doubt cause buggered if I understood it either.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:41 (Ref:892972)   #68
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and your Australian and JPM is Columbian.

Still I'm sure it gives us an insight into JPMs mental state or even whether he wants to play another sport :confused:
Old 4 Mar 2004, 00:14 (Ref:893008)   #69
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JPM handled the press conference part of it OK (seemed to let it go on for a bit until it got out of hand), but really should have had them removed rather than leaving himself (hindsight?)

As for leaving for fulfulling the sponsor requirements, that's inexcusable. We need the sponsors to pay for our sport, so ****ing them off is a BAD IDEA.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 00:29 (Ref:893021)   #70
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this, but lets try to keep the driver bashing to a minimum (not directed at anyone particular, just a general observation).
Old 4 Mar 2004, 00:48 (Ref:893031)   #71
manwell
Racer

Post deleted

Clearly you missed my previous post

Wrex
Old 4 Mar 2004, 01:59 (Ref:893071)   #72
manwell
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by manwell
Post deleted

Clearly you missed my previous post

Wrex
Yeah i did actually.

And i didnt think i was driver bashing, just giving my opinion on what i thought of him walking out.
I thought thats what forums were for???
Old 4 Mar 2004, 02:18 (Ref:893073)   #73
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
I think JPM handled the press conference part of it OK (seemed to let it go on for a bit until it got out of hand), but really should have had them removed rather than leaving himself (hindsight?)

As for leaving for fulfulling the sponsor requirements, that's inexcusable. We need the sponsors to pay for our sport, so ****ing them off is a BAD IDEA.
I'm sure that was the last thing on his mind at the time. He was just ****ed off with those idiots and wanted to get as far away from them as possible, and I can't say I blame him. Security should have kicked them out.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 02:45 (Ref:893080)   #74
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the Tony Squires comment, that personal perspective. I found a better mix of interesting talk, personality and humour in one episode of 'The Fat' than in a season of Rove. I don't think his channel 7 show will be as good though. It'll lose the spark of concentrating on the basics like what happened to Good News Week. Call it the wrong people with the wrong motives getting involved.

Can't blame Monty for the walkout, but I would have found it pretty funny and refreshing myself if I was JPM on the stage. I'd have said 'Do you have left handed clubs?'
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 03:36 (Ref:893096)   #75
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the work that the 2 comedians do. Its like a satircal sports reporting thing. Their stuff always gets a laugh out of me.

They have done this sort of stuff with people from other sports; crickets, golfers, tennis players, league, union, afl players, and they have all played along, and even seen the funny side of it on occasions.

Having said that, it doesnt work that way for everyone. Juan being the example, and apparently alot of people calling the stuff and the people involved not funny without seeing their work, or having an i suppose, an Australian sense of humour.

Not having a dig at Juan, he composed himself well. Perhaps on another day he might have seen it funny, who knows. Perhaps other F1 drivers would have been better tagrets. We shall wait and see.
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm