Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Mar 2001, 12:31 (Ref:74718)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what tow vehicle / trailer setup do u have ?
also what race car are you pulling ?

Woody
Old 27 Mar 2001, 16:13 (Ref:74764)   #2
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford F350 Duallie Turbo-Diesel towing a Featherlite Gooseneck with a 28' box and a lift to allow stacking of two cars.

Cars that go inside are both BMW's, a 1995 M3 LTW running BMW Club Racing BMod class and a 1992 325is running SCCA ITS class.
Old 27 Mar 2001, 19:33 (Ref:74805)   #3
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
I have a 12 foot (bed size) car trailer, which i generally use to pull a Mini around on, for which it is far too big, but sometimes I have fo pull an MG Maestro as well, and that fits on it just nicely.

The trailer is custom-made (not by me) with suspension, and the ramps and bed are made from steel sheets with holes in them, which I am led to believe are the same type as the Army carry around with them to get vehicles out of mud.

The trailer is quite light, compared with some, and I tow it about with a G reg Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6. Not too good up hills, and it struggles a bit with the Maestro, but on the flat I can do well over 70 with the Min on board
Old 28 Mar 2001, 01:15 (Ref:74874)   #4
sprinter
Rookie

sprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dodge 3500 duallie diesel towing a united expressline,extra height, 26 ft. tag.

car inside is a sprint car.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 14:23 (Ref:74964)   #5
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tow with a Range Rover , last of the 'classic' shape does a good job , especially when in the snow at Silverstone 2 weeks ago....Plenty of space to load up with spare wheels and tools , add I tow a 21 foot(from tip to toe) PRG tilt bed 4-wheel trailer which was a special order as the bed is extra wide. The Rover is in excess of 6'6" in width.
Funny really that I have seemed to end up a Rover man , always fancied myself towing a Jag with a Jag - maybe one day........
Old 30 Mar 2001, 20:54 (Ref:75538)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My tow car is a 2000 model Ford AU Falcon Futura series II station wagon (Estate car). It is 5m (16'5") long with a 4.0 litre in-line six which produces 157kw (211hp). It has a live rear axle with leaf springs and tows quite well. In fact the Ford Falcon is the only new CAR (as distinct from truck) sold in Australia which is suitable for heavy towing.

My trailer was built by a friend to tow his car, a '64 Holden, which is bigger than my car, so it is a little more than I need but it does the job well. The tray is 3.8m (12'6") long. It weighs 610kg (1343lb). It is fitted with a winch and hydraulic brakes. Tommorrow we are fitting tyre racks to take spare wheels/tyres. It is a two axle pig trailer with good spacing between the axles so it is very stable at 115km/h (72mph).

My race car is a 1972 Datsun 1600 (Nissan 510) Historic Touring Car (Classic Saloon). It weighs 960kg (2114lb) and has nearly 50:50 weight distribution.
Old 14 Apr 2001, 03:11 (Ref:80322)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My current tow car is a Ford Mondeo Si with "X pack" mods. As a tow car its not bad but as a road car its one of the best I've ever had. I tow a Brian James A series galvanised trailer with a 1050 kg Group 1 Capri on board. The trailer is incredibly stable at speeds up to 70 mph.

Hopefully I will be retiring the Mondeo from towing duties and replacing it with an Explorer by the end of the year.

The only hill which gives it trouble whilst towing, is the one just south of Cadwell Park, I have to select second gear there.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 13:57 (Ref:81954)   #8
StacyVickers
Rookie

StacyVickers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
My current tow car is a Ford Mondeo Si with "X pack" mods.
I've had a trusty 2.3 Audi 100 Quattro and a Brian James Trailer for some time now and it's proved to be the most useful setup I've ever had. The Audi has self levelling suspension and I've always overtaken more people on the way home than I do on the track..

I've got an ST200 Mondeo everyday car, but never thought of having a tow bar fitted. Maybe I should. I went looking at the new shape Range Rovers at the weekend, but I'm really undecided. The Audi isn't worth anything so isn't worth selling, but on the other hand is started to show it's age and I don't want to be stuck on the hard shoulder race day morning.

I'll probably use it for the remainder of this year then upgrade to a covered trailer and so forth over the winter depending on what I decide to do.

Stacy
Old 19 Apr 2001, 14:11 (Ref:82340)   #9
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well our tow vehicles are either, a Mercedes ML430 4WD, the V8 version. or a Holden Rodeo, with the hard top tray. OR a Hiace Commuter van. The Hiace doesn't tow that often as we usually weight it down with 2 large roller cabs, tool boxes,, spare diffs, rotars, large plastic jerry cans, and well a hiace full of equipment including pit carpet. hehehe.

The trailer is a large, low single car trailer with tyre rack. Don't know much about it, but we may be building a new float soon, to help store more stuff. And for better towing.

The car is a series 2 Mazda RX7 which weighs roughly 1000kgs, and has a weight split of around 51:49 as we dropped the engine and pushed it further back into the body. Gives a great deal of stability, and better handling.