Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 27 Feb 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2139536)   #1
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boyd Coddington: August 28, 1944 – February 27, 2008

World-renowned tuner and hot rod king Boyd Coddington has died. The cause of death is still unknown. Coddington, founder of Boyds Wheels and designer of prize-winning custom cars, had recently been hospitalized twice for an undisclosed medical condition.

Link to Boyd Coddington's website

Pinched from another forum:
Quote:
Hello all,

It is with a heavy heart that I come on here and write this. I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for their comments and prayers. A friend told me about this forum and I stopped by last night to read all of the posts, and what I seen made me proud to be a hot rodder. Thank you one and all.

Boyd was a great man, not just because of his accomplishments, but, because of what he believed in and did. I was with him for 8 years and seen the man for who he really was, not what was seen on a TV show or a brief encounter. I can tell you all he truly loved hot rods and enjoyed seeing the cars that folks brought to the many shows we attended. Here's a good example of how he felt, we were at a small show for an appearance. Him and Jo were taking a break before heading out to start signing autographs and hadn't had a chance to see the show yet. I had taken a quick walk around to see some of the cars and when I returned he asked how it was. I made the comment that some of the cars really didn't belong in a car show which quickly brought a response from Boyd. He told me " these guys work hard on their cars and they are proud of them, that's what matters, and it is not for us to judge them but to respect them for the hard work and effort it takes." He of course was right and I knew better, just one of those stupid comments we all make sometimes.

I learned a lot from Boyd over these past 8 years and, although I wish I could have more, I thank God I had the time I did. I am proud to have known and worked for the man and feel very blessed and lucky. He is and always will be a legend in our community, and will be deeply missed.

Again, thank you one and all, and I will pass along the wonderful thing you all have said on here to Jo and the rest of the family and folks at the shop. God bless you.

Todd Emmons
Boyd Coddington's Garage

Last edited by Trevor; 27 Feb 2008 at 19:34.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2139551)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://jalopnik.com/361391/boyd-codd...dead-at-age-63
Old 27 Feb 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2139576)   #3
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched many of the TV shows I can only admire his dedication and committment to what can surely be described as an art form.

Sincere condolences to all his family, friends and all those that knew him.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2140060)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of a kind, a true legend - his cars were truely beautiful, the best in my opinion, far better than Foose's. May he rest in peace - maybe him and grumpy Roy are re-united and argueing somewhere over how to bend aluminum? A sad day for all who are taken by custom cars indeed.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2140068)   #5
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He certainly didn't come across as the best man to work for on the TV shows, but you can't deny the impact his cars had. A big loss for the hot rod world.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2140083)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
He certainly didn't come across as the best man to work for on the TV shows, but you can't deny the impact his cars had. A big loss for the hot rod world.
Suspect that was mostly for 'TV' dont you?
Old 1 Mar 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2141839)   #7
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe it. i always stay up till 12 to watch american hotrod! R.I.P boyd