Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Nov 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3589899)   #26
Starion13
Rookie

Starion13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst going public is out of general character for Mr Stone, I imagine it was written/done in a heat of the moment scenario and a general level of being "pi$$ed off" was evident. Who hasn't been in that situation once or twice.

The whole saga and unearthing of big $$ owed to parties who have helped pave Scott's journey taints his accomplishments and overall "good young kid" persona. Sad that the father is the one holding the dollars back and Scott being labelled for the deed. The pair of them need to grow a set and face up to those out of pocket and set things right, if just to limit the damage done to the following generation of Kiwi drivers coming across trying to get established. They will be tainted by McLaughlin Snr's antics and find it very difficult to cut a deal for a drive. Better come with folding at the ready.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3590007)   #27
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starion13 View Post
The whole saga and unearthing of big $$ owed to parties who have helped pave Scott's journey taints his accomplishments and overall "good young kid" persona. Sad that the father is the one holding the dollars back and Scott being labelled for the deed. The pair of them need to grow a set and face up to those out of pocket and set things right, if just to limit the damage done to the following generation of Kiwi drivers coming across trying to get established. They will be tainted by McLaughlin Snr's antics and find it very difficult to cut a deal for a drive. Better come with folding at the ready.
We don't know it's big $$$, for all we know it could be $150 or $1500.

I wouldn't point the finger at Senior just yet, as I think back then Scott was managed possibly by Chris Jewell (??) as he wasn't he part of some Fujitsu sponsored development program?? Someone would have guided him accordingly into this direction.

If after 3 years of going to court, and suddenly the company is placed in liquidation, something doesn't smell right. Has it just been dragged out by solicitors, or does the agreement they had in place have some holes in it. I know the wheels can turn slowly in parts of business, but this doesn't stack up.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3590021)   #28
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
We don't know it's big $$$, for all we know it could be $150 or $1500.

I wouldn't point the finger at Senior just yet, as I think back then Scott was managed possibly by Chris Jewell (??) as he wasn't he part of some Fujitsu sponsored development program?? Someone would have guided him accordingly into this direction.

If after 3 years of going to court
, and suddenly the company is placed in liquidation, something doesn't smell right. Has it just been dragged out by solicitors, or does the agreement they had in place have some holes in it. I know the wheels can turn slowly in parts of business, but this doesn't stack up.
Neither does the bolded parts
Old 13 Nov 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3590095)   #29
Starion13
Rookie

Reality check.... No one other than a complete idiot spends 3 years in court and maintaining lawyers for $1500. I have to use lawyers constantly in my line of employment and we don't go near them when owed sub $50K. Have personally dealt with various cases spanning 2+ years and they were for $500K. It will be a min 6 figure amount. What would a season in the development series cost? Not trying to turn this into a ****ing contest, just pointing out some commercial realities. Ross is owed heaps.

Last edited by Woolley; 13 Nov 2015 at 13:32. Reason: autocensor is there for a reason
Old 13 Nov 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3590142)   #30
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 13 Nov 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3590245)   #31
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
But it is McLaughlin Snr who owes the $$, not McLaughlin Jnr, and as such supporters of McLaughlin Jnr who wouldn't know anything different may then take a different view of McLaughlin Jnr

Correct Axeman, the name of the Company Scott Mclaughlin Racing is simply a name that suited his father Wayne at that time, as it intimated to all and sundry that you are dealing in some way with Scott the talented son.

To my knowledge the debt to SBR is a very real debt, and in excess of A$50K, the debt to V8 Supertourers 2013 Limited is recorded in the Court documents at NZ$50K. The A$90K debt to MPC was written off due to the cost of trying to recover the monies and some fancy footwork by Wayne to counter claim for a higher amount etc.

I don't buy that Scott has any obligations to pay the debt on behalf of his father, who at all times in my dealing with the man, acted in his own capacity, and at no time did I ever see Scott's signature on any of the documentation.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3590257)   #32
Starion13
Rookie

Thank you Mark for providing the facts behind the issues. As always your comments are relevant, factual and well informed.

I don't have any issue with Scott, as you say he bears no personal liability if he isn't involved as an officer of the company.

His father needs to redress his business ethics, this sort of thing denigrates his son by mere association and leaves people with mixed emotions about his achievements. That is not fair on Scott who appears to be a bright, talented and personable young man. Oh and he is freakin' fast. I wish him every success in his career and believe he will do well under his present team principal who I think will keep him grounded and in touch
Old 14 Nov 2015, 01:05 (Ref:3590260)   #33
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering the payout from Toll, it would seem relatively easy to square these away.

Although, didn't that result in a court case too??
Old 14 Nov 2015, 02:37 (Ref:3590270)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So dad Wayne signed an agreement for Scott to drive a car for Ross Stone Racing. Scott got all the benefit but dad Wayne got all the cost/liability.

Dad Wayne is in debt as a result but son Scott wont help him out for the benefit he received

Sort of like when J Bright family put there house into mortgage to fund J Brights career, When J Bright hit it big he helped his parents get out of the debt they went through

Quality son, compared to an A Hole son
Old 14 Nov 2015, 02:50 (Ref:3590273)   #35
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
So dad Wayne signed an agreement for Scott to drive a car for Ross Stone Racing. Scott got all the benefit but dad Wayne got all the cost/liability.
This is my point, this is legally correct but morally bereft.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3590304)   #36
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mark Petch;3590245]

To my knowledge the debt to SBR is a very real debt, and in excess of A$50K, the debt to V8 Supertourers 2013 Limited is recorded in the Court documents at NZ$50K. The A$90K debt to MPC was written off due to the cost of trying to recover the monies and some fancy footwork by Wayne to counter claim for a higher amount etc.

QUOTE]

Would you be suggesting that the man has the ability to hide in the shadow of a corkscrew Mark?
Old 15 Nov 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3590532)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of nice toys in the garage as seen on RPM this afternoon

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Nov 2015, 06:00 (Ref:3590535)   #38
Starion13
Rookie

Yep, just saw that and thought of the timing and the irony. Plenty of liquid assets to draw upon if he chose to man up and do the right thing.

What's it going to be Wayne? Man or mouse.

Look after the people who looked after you -first rule of business!
Old 15 Nov 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3590547)   #39
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Lots of nice toys in the garage as seen on RPM this afternoon

I saw that too. Raises a few questions. I had the sound muted as I watching Super GT at Motegi. How many of those are his cars? Whose garage is that? Seems to be a lot for someone at the start of their pro career versus someone who'd been doing that for some years-if that indeed was his shed.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3590550)   #40
Starion13
Rookie

Was at Scott's parents house as I understood it. Toys are supposedly daddy's - bought with the money not given to those that supported his son's racing career most likely.

The issue is that lack of funds clearly not the issue, more a case of choosing not to settle up debts. Note - if there are/were genuine reasons to dispute a legal claim (ie that of SBR) then there is an appropriate process through the courts to do so. Simply putting the company into liquidation to avoid it is not the 'right' way to handle such matters. Its cheaper to liquidate a company than defend a legal claim.

Had a "happy family" photo at the end of the story - nice touch.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3590552)   #41
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a bit suspicious of the timing.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3590564)   #42
Starion13
Rookie

^^^^ Indeed.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3590675)   #43
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Correct Axeman, the name of the Company Scott Mclaughlin Racing is simply a name that suited his father Wayne at that time, as it intimated to all and sundry that you are dealing in some way with Scott the talented son.

I don't buy that Scott has any obligations to pay the debt on behalf of his father, who at all times in my dealing with the man, acted in his own capacity, and at no time did I ever see Scott's signature on any of the documentation.
As I suspected, management acting on behalf of the client, supposedly in there best interests.

Not going to defend Wayne here, but I know all too many characters who operate in the same manner to avoid paying debts. All too common and annoying. I can say the same about a few drivers, and they're the bloody same, they'll milk everything dry for their benefit, but they never seem to reciprocate in return.

Lets just hope that fruit has fallen far enough from the tree that Scott himself doesn't pull anything like this in future himself.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 02:53 (Ref:3590729)   #44
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The morals of some people in this sport has never ceased to amaze me and I have been involved in it for many decades. From karts to F1, there has always been an element of ripping people off and getting away with it.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 17:06 (Ref:3591062)   #45
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott is lucky his drive is sorted for next year, but if he was seat hunting, many sponsors would give him a wide berth while this is unsettled.

Ultimately its doing more damage to his clean cut boy wonder image that his dad's.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 21:09 (Ref:3591141)   #46
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Ultimately its doing more damage to his clean cut boy wonder image that his dad's.
Without knowing specifics, if he's still represented by his father in some way, then that would be more of an issue. I think you'll find that with most of the popular drivers over the years, regardless of what has happened off the track, they're still very followed for there on track abilities.

With the people the boy has around him at GRM, they've been around long enough to hopefully talk some sense into him.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 21:49 (Ref:3591148)   #47
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Scott is lucky his drive is sorted for next year, but if he was seat hunting, many sponsors would give him a wide berth while this is unsettled.

I wonder how well known this is among the general V8 Supercar fans.... apart from chatter here on a couple of forums and a facebook post, that is it - I suspect a lot of people don't know or wouldn't really care
Old 17 Nov 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3591152)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
I wonder how well known this is among the general V8 Supercar fans.... apart from chatter here on a couple of forums and a facebook post, that is it - I suspect a lot of people don't know or wouldn't really care
which would be like half the discussions on here
Old 17 Nov 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3591157)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
The fracas rated a half page article in AA yesterday, nothing new to add to discussions however
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Nov 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3591239)   #50
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just remembered how a user on another forum once had an informal chat to Mr McLaughlin Snr about various things, including amassing a debt to the tune of $250K, to get his son where he is.