Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Dec 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1188179)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DVD: 50 years of Formula One onboards

Anyone else get this?

I was quite disappointed with it.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1188346)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Worth the money?

I can relate to Kicking back's comments to some extent. The major defect on this DVD is the commentary. Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart try but are pretty useless. However MARIO ANDRETTI sounds like he would rather be slitting his wrists than doing his bit of the commentary. It is pathetic. I have been a fan of Super Mario but this has dented my enthusiasm for a great driver.

I liked the early footage which I hadn't seen before. The 70s and 80s stuff looked very familiar and could have been better.

TOP MARKS go to Senna's Qualifying Lap at Suzuka and the superb editing of the Hakkinen/Schumacher/Villeneuve overtaking manouvre at SPA.

i would suggest that you watch the thing with the commentary disabled, you can then practice your Murray Walker impressions
Old 27 Dec 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1188395)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I felt it was very brief, and the choice of onboard laps was not particularly wide-ranging.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1188418)   #4
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, seems im glad i didnt get it now
Old 27 Dec 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1188472)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I'm pleased I have it - although I've not watched it all yet. The Senna Suzuka lap still sends shivers down my spine with that wailing Honda turbo - but where the hell is Sennas lap of Monaco in the Camel Lotus?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1188547)   #6
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a title like 50 Years Of F1 Onboard, you'd expect more than an hour, and more than 8 or 9 clips/drivers. A lot of the recent footage is on the annual VHS/DVD reviews anyway. My personal best bit is Depailler in Monte Carlo, mainly because you can see his hands AND feet working. But the overall content is poor, MotorsTV provides more onboard F1 coverage in an hour of their F1 pieces. And what was the point of the Hall Of Fame bit at the end? It was like an ITV half-job.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1188548)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can get all that from the decent Motors legends editions.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1188567)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey , i was going to get this , but not too sure now ?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1188570)   #9
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Well, Sato san, there's about
3 mins worth of Fangio,
about 30 seconds of Moss at the Nurburgring, bit more of him at Goodwood,
Stewart on a slow lap at Brands GP, tiny bit of him at Nurburgring,
Lafitte on an out-lap at Monza,
Depailler at Monaco and USA,
Senna's Suzuka flying lap,
Hill/Schumacher at Monaco '95,
Hakkinen at Spa 2000 for lap and a half,
Schumacher at Monza,
and........that's it.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1188610)   #10
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was pleased with it , breif as it was
Old 28 Dec 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1188721)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would you say it was better than lap of the gods ?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1188919)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's still worth getting IMO. But lap of the gods seems to have rather more footage.

It's rather short.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1190124)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Mum was looking around for this before Christmas, I'm glad she didn't find it.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1190700)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, it is disappointing isn't it. Looks like something thrown together, mostly with footage we've all seen many timesd before (or have the mpegs on our hard drives). Cynical Christmas gift planning...... Very poor indeed if you compare it with, say, "In Car 956".......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 Dec 2004 at 18:46.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1190715)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
And it's free when you subscribe with Autosport.

Last edited by luke; 31 Dec 2004 at 19:21.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1191049)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, it is disappointing. The "World Champions" bit seemed a waste of time. The Fangio laps were interesting from the point of view that he was obviously posing and they were cut together for some sort of promotion. They didn't even use a GP track.

Not enough of Stirling or Jackie. The Suzuka lap was sensational. Gear changes too!

And I have to say the Mika Mickey lap of Spa will be reviewed many times.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1191063)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I were in control of it, it would have been at minimum, ooh, six hours long.

Maybe a massive box set!

Not holding my breath....
Old 1 Jan 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1191112)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The length does seem to be the main problem...
Old 5 Jan 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1193731)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Second Opinion

Just took the DVD down to my cousin's in Devon. He and the kids liked it but when it finished they all questioned WHY!

However the Senna/Suzuka and the Mika v Michael/Spa were replayed several times!

On reflection Lap of the Gods is way better!

Old 5 Jan 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1193845)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I remember first seeing the Fangio film when I was very small, maybe 6 or 7 (and you can add 40 to that now)........
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1196777)   #21
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
So what's included in Lap Of The Gods?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1198455)   #22
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the DVD is good especially at Monza with Laffite(sp) i think.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1198491)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The Matra engine sounds lovely on that. But it just seems like contrived footage. Not on the limit stuff, presumably due to the huge camera that would've been bolted behind Laffites head!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1198598)   #24
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got this DVD for Christmas. It's ok, but as people have mentioned a bit brief and the commentary could have been a bit better.

I would have liked more from the '80's. I'd have especially liked to have seen some footage of the turbo days, but it jumped from 1978 straight to 1989, both eras being normally aspirated.

My favourite part is Patrick Depailler at Long Beach 1978. He was definately giving it some and it was a joy to watch. Another good bit was Patrick again at Monaco with the top bodywork taken off his P34 so you could see his hands and feet at work. I know it was a demo run, but still..

Another bit which was quite good was the run through of all the champions.

Like Ayse has said, I have quite a few of these clips on my HD, but it's nice to have them with DVD quality.

Last edited by Spudgun; 12 Jan 2005 at 00:03.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1198756)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The Long Beach lap is great....love that huge power slide over the crest!