Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Oct 2020, 14:04 (Ref:4009163)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eifel Grand Prix 2020: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 11 of 17

Unfortunately, I'm snowed under at the moment with work, which leaves little time for a decent preview. There is so much that could be said about the Nürburgring and it would be nice to do it one day, but with little time I couldn't do a preview justice. Looking forward to the event anyway!

Circuit length: 5.148km
Number of laps: 60
Race distance: 308.617km
Race Lap Record: -
Dry weather tyre compounds: C2, C3 & C4

First Grand Prix in Germany: 1926
First World Championship Grand Prix in Germany: 1951
First Grand Prix at the Nürburgring (Nürburgring Gesamtstrecke): 1927
First Grand Prix at the Nürburgring Nordschleife: 1931
First Grand Prix at this circuit (Nürburgring GP-Strecke): 1984

Join the fun in the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155000

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155006
Old 8 Oct 2020, 14:18 (Ref:4009165)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What does the Eifel have to do with the Nurburgring? What's with all these stupid new names for Grand Prix?
Old 8 Oct 2020, 14:20 (Ref:4009166)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mercedes team member tests positive for Covid-19 before Eifel Grand Prix weekend

'Mercedes said the team would not reveal the identity of the person affected but it is not one of the two drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.'

Hopefully this won't impact on the team's involvement in the race this weekend.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 14:23 (Ref:4009167)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
What does the Eifel have to do with the Nurburgring? What's with all these stupid new names for Grand Prix?
'While there was no German GP initially on this year's calendar, following Hockenheim's omission for 2020, the Nurburgring's stand-in race has been named after the area the circuit is located in, while also giving a nod to the wider region as the Eifel mountains stretch across Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg.'
Old 8 Oct 2020, 15:12 (Ref:4009174)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I mean, it is the name of the mountains where the circuit is located. It's even the same mountain range that gives it some of the corner names - Hohe Acht n all that. So, quite a lot.

Extends into Belgium too.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 8 Oct 2020 at 15:22.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 15:22 (Ref:4009175)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect ASCII is confusing geography with Parisian landmarks.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 15:24 (Ref:4009176)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
totally... Eifel the region vs Eiffel the person and tower.

was also confused so looked that up back when race was announced. lol.

this is what happens when we dont get an intro BR!!!
Old 8 Oct 2020, 17:34 (Ref:4009196)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to say build up to this weekend feels really weird without F2,F3
Old 8 Oct 2020, 22:10 (Ref:4009221)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Have to say build up to this weekend feels really weird without F2,F3
I'm surprised neither were added in although costs may have had a bearing

Are there any support races?

As to F1 Vettel has admitted to being a shareholder in Aston. He wouldn't be drawn on how much he has invested though!
Old 8 Oct 2020, 22:28 (Ref:4009226)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
BR, we miss your usual array of introduction detail but none of us will think any less of you or your intros because work prevents you from going hard on this.

Don't know if there's all that much that can be said in reality - I think that this is the first ever Grosser Preis Der Eifel so no history to fall back on at all.

No doubt the circuit itself would give plenty of historical material to draw on, from when it was located in Germany but now that it's been relocated to Eifel, it's a whole new deal all 'round!
Old 9 Oct 2020, 00:52 (Ref:4009233)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
As to F1 Vettel has admitted to being a shareholder in Aston. He wouldn't be drawn on how much he has invested though!
I’d missed this.

The F1 team, or the manufacturer?
Old 9 Oct 2020, 02:28 (Ref:4009236)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I suspect ASCII is confusing geography with Parisian landmarks.

Well I did sleep through most geography classes.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 05:53 (Ref:4009257)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So Mick Schumacher will take part in a GP for the first time. Only 8 years after his father last raced in F1

It's interesting the gap between a father's last GP and their son's first GP (the below includes practice sessions)

Parnell- 5 years (1954-59)
Schumacher- 8 years (2012-20)
Pilette- 10 years (1964-74)*
Andretti- 11 years (1982-93)
Verstappen- 11 years (2003-14)
Villenueve- 14 years (1982-96)
Nakajima- 16 years (1991-2007)
Magnussen - 16 years (1998-2014)
Hill- 17 years (1975-92)
Fittipaldi- 17 years (1975-92)
Piquet- 17 years (1991-2008)
Brabham- 20 years (1970-90)
Rosberg-20 years (1986-2006)
Stuck - 21 years (1953-74)
Winkelhock- 21 years (1985-2006)
Palmer- 26 years (1989-2015)

*Pilette Jr first competed in a NC race in 71

Hope I haven't missed anyone out!
Old 9 Oct 2020, 07:41 (Ref:4009274)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well I did sleep through most geography classes.
He said sheepishly..........
Old 9 Oct 2020, 08:11 (Ref:4009276)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’d missed this.

He mentioned it in the press conference yesterday, I believe it's the manufacturer/group?
Old 9 Oct 2020, 09:15 (Ref:4009287)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
BR, we miss your usual array of introduction detail but none of us will think any less of you or your intros because work prevents you from going hard on this.

Don't know if there's all that much that can be said in reality - I think that this is the first ever Grosser Preis Der Eifel so no history to fall back on at all.

No doubt the circuit itself would give plenty of historical material to draw on, from when it was located in Germany but now that it's been relocated to Eifel, it's a whole new deal all 'round!
Yes, thanks, haha, much can be said about the Nurburgring, though. The real one, although I read that nowadays the drivers consider this version an 'old school' track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
totally... Eifel the region vs Eiffel the person and tower.

was also confused so looked that up back when race was announced. lol.

this is what happens when we dont get an intro BR!!!
I guess Hockenheim may have contractural rights to the German Grand Prix name still. I personally like these different names. If we never get another Eifel Grand Prix, the name will be symbolic with the 2020 season.

We are currently still waiting for FP1 to start. It has been delayed due to the medical helicopter not being able to fly because of the visibility. Hopefully it won't be too long and we can see Schumacher get to run.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4009291)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’d missed this.

An article here discusses the story - https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebast...rtin-shares-2/

'The Ferrari driver stated that he believes in the project, so much so that he has even bought shares in Aston Martin.

“Everybody is free to do what they want with their money, Aston Martin is a public company and everyone is free to invest in the company,” Vettel said in the build up to the Eifel Grand Prix.'
Old 9 Oct 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4009305)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
An article here discusses the story - https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebast...rtin-shares-2/

'The Ferrari driver stated that he believes in the project, so much so that he has even bought shares in Aston Martin.

“Everybody is free to do what they want with their money, Aston Martin is a public company and everyone is free to invest in the company,” Vettel said in the build up to the Eifel Grand Prix.'
Thanks for providing the relevant details CRM.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 11:40 (Ref:4009313)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How gutted much Schumi and Illiot feel after not getting the run in practice they were looking forward to. Not sure they will get another chance this season, especially with Imola being a 2 day event
Old 9 Oct 2020, 12:25 (Ref:4009320)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
How gutted much Schumi and Illiot feel after not getting the run in practice they were looking forward to. Not sure they will get another chance this season, especially with Imola being a 2 day event
Portimao, Istanbul, Bahrain..

Plenty of chances yet.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 12:30 (Ref:4009321)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He said sheepishly..........

Ok?
Old 9 Oct 2020, 13:48 (Ref:4009342)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An intro is better than no intro, with which to get the race weekend of to a start, so thanks.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 14:06 (Ref:4009344)   #23
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen SchumacherJnr being interviewed what an impressive young man. Hopefully his Father is able to see and understand his progress
Old 9 Oct 2020, 14:07 (Ref:4009345)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No running at all today with FP1 and FP2 cancelled due to the medical helicopter unable to operate in the poor visibility.

Supposedly drier weather tomorrow so hopefully some action then.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 14:11 (Ref:4009346)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
One has to wonder at the wisdom of holding a GP at this location at this time of year. I don't think there have been any recent 24hr events that have run without a full red stoppage it this time of year.

Understand that Liberty M need to fill the calendar but I hope they get a race at this one.