Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2855735)   #1
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weber carb cover

Occasionally I have seen covers for the inlet trumpets on Weber carburettors.
Are those available anywhere or homemade ?
Example : http://8w.forix.com/reviv01/lotus20b.jpg

Thank you for any informations.

Ralf
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2855807)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Years ago we used to make them from a strip of alloy sheet with the top and bottom bent over about 45 degrees and slid this on to the trumpets. Cheap and effective.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2855820)   #3
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Thank you, Al - good idea and simple to make.
If nothings else comes up, I´ll go this way.

Ralf
Old 30 Mar 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2855965)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Demon Tweaks have them on the shelf. Just type in the name,the on-line catalogue should come up for you.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2855991)   #5
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Terence, thank you - but I could only find the red plastic covers, but nothing for twin DCOE40.
Did you see a different type ?

Ralf
Old 30 Mar 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2855996)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah,sorry Ralf,I thought you meant for a single Webber. In that case you could make them yourself as Al has described. You would only need a strip of 1mm thick Ally. Just run a straight edge along the outer most point of the Trumpets,just to make sure that once made,it will just slide on.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2855999)   #7
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
No problem - should have mentioned that...

So - I will make that device as you both recommended.

Thank you.

Ralf
Old 30 Mar 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2856014)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course stuffing an oily rag into the trumpets would be even more period correct.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2856017)   #9
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
That - actually - is the solution for the moment...
By the way, Peter, sticker is already on the car ! (photo to follow)
Old 31 Mar 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2856172)   #10
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why hot use one of the red ones on each carb ?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:52 (Ref:2856181)   #11
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Our racecar has four bathplugs in the trumpets, attached by a chain so you can pull them all out at once. A fairly cheap solution, but you can't doubt it's effectiveness.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2856185)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
My prototype has cork plugs and chain linking them. I can vouch for their effectiveness- it definitely won't start if you leave them in

I think Al's suggestion sounds the way to go!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2856197)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In truth I've never thought about blocking up the trumpets. Why do you need to do it?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:49 (Ref:2856201)   #14
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure about others, but down here we have a spider problem, and a trumpet can make a brilliant foundation for a web. We put the plugs in to stop them getting hurt when the engine is fired up (cos lets face it, how much damage could a spider do?)
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2856215)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In truth I've never thought about blocking up the trumpets. Why do you need to do it?
When they are sticking out in airstream as on single seater or protoype and don't have mesh or any other filter. Water getting into inlet manifold if raining and not covered, stones getting in during transport, errant nuts falling in when working on car immediately come to mind.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2856219)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Its funny how if you drop a nut in the workshop a magnetic force seems to will it about 10ft away !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2856227)   #17
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Friends - thank you for all those ideas and for carrying on the discussion !

Idea is indeed to put it on while trailering on my open trailer (I not always use a closed one - for short trips to hillclimbs etc. in my area the open one should be ok).

Bathplugs are good, too, but I especially like the cork idea. Which bottles did you have to empty for your racer, Mike ?
Since my car had a good history in Ireland "in period" - that might be very appropriate............

The red ones from Demon Tweeks etc might be too big for DCOE 40 ?

Cheers,
Ralf
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2856232)   #18
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
For Peter - spot the sticker...
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2856236)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
These fit a treat !!
Attached Thumbnails
LARKINS.JPG  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2856237)   #20
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2856242)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That pic should be submitted for the spot the sticker file.

And that is a lovely car.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2856243)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Also you can polish the alloy strip and apply some nice vinyl graphics to it of the engine builders logo or whatever and it will look very posh!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2856245)   #23
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That pic should be submitted for the spot the sticker file.

And that is a lovely car.
Thank you, Peter. All credit to Michael Hibberd, who rebuilt/restored it about ten years ago. Needs a bit tidying on the GRP panels again, but thats something for the next winter.

Now - I am probably too stupid...but how do I get a photo in the sticker gallery ?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:03 (Ref:2856247)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Its funny how if you drop a nut in the workshop a magnetic force seems to will it about 10ft away !!
I've lost count of amount of time spent crawling round looking for a stupid little nut or washer only to find it days later other end of workshop. Luckily never in a carb though!

R D P- The 45dcoe Webcon covers are for 63mm o/d stacks- but these seem to vary anyway depending who made them, so maybe?

The corks are too big to be from a bottle, so not guilty.

Lovely car!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:07 (Ref:2856249)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
Now - I am probably too stupid...but how do I get a photo in the sticker gallery ?
linky http://gallery.ten-tenths.com/showgallery.php/cat/507 from here you should see an option to upload a photo.